AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-07-2015, 10:00 PM

Default MHA100 as a preamp?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have experience with the MHA100 as a preamp? If so, how does it perform?

I thought about picking up the MHA for a desktop system but may want to add an external amp at some point. Maybe a MC275, MC152, or MC302. The latter being overkill, I'm sure.

I need some blue meters in my life!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 PM

I think it all comes down to your priorities.

If your priority is headphones, go with the MHA100 and use it as a preamp. I can't speak to its performance in that duty; but, I expect it would do well (but not as well as a dedicated preamp).

If you expect your priority to shift to driving a power amp, then I'd say go with a dedicated preamp and use the headphone stage. The C2300, C2500, C48, and C50 all have headphone stages and will do quite well for headphone listening (but not as well as a dedicated headphone amp).

I don't do any critical listening on headphones; I use headphones purely for "background music" while working. So, I don't even have a proper headphone amp--I just drive an upgraded pair of IEMs straight from my Macbook Pro.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 AM

nalthien,

Thanks for the reply. You're right, of course, and I probably need to think about my use case.

Right now I listen to speakers roughly 80% of the time. The rest of the time is spent with Sennheiser HD800s.

I am a little concerned that any benefit of going with the separates would be negated by the suboptimal listening environment. Maybe I'll go track down my closest dealer and do some auditioning.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 PM

If 20% of your listening is with the headphones, I don't personally see that as enough to justify going with a dedicated headphone amp--especially not one at the price point of the MHA100.

Check out any of the C-line preamps--I think you'll be happier.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM

The MHA is also a 50 watt integrated, but I really don't know how well it performs as a speaker amp compared to the separates. But considering my setup is near-field at relatively low spl, that may be enough power for me to get by. I'm going to try to hit up a dealer within the next week.

Exciting times ahead!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
The MHA is also a 50 watt integrated, but I really don't know how well it performs as a speaker amp compared to the separates. But considering my setup is near-field at relatively low spl, that may be enough power for me to get by. I'm going to try to hit up a dealer within the next week.

Exciting times ahead!
I look forward to your report back. There are no specs on the preamp section in the manual. There is a remote. I was curious if the signal to noise ratio was as good as the other Mac preamps. I asked Chuck Hinton and he did not have the s/n ratio but he did say the output voltage would be lower so it would not play as loud as a stand-alone preamp. I am thinking about this for a second system to be used with both speakers and headphones.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:26 AM

I know that McIntosh shares similar components with their other models and also share the same sound signature too. Which of the McIntosh preamps would your say havs similar sound/component specs as the MHA100? Considering using it is also as a preamp. Currently have a c45 in my main system an want to see how 'close' musically it is as a preamp.