AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 PM

Ok a little out of topic here but my hijacked ref110 sounds fine with my ProAc D80R which admittedly is more tame than the Wilsons.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
jpgr4blu...welcome to AA Sounds like you have a great system. Beyond the Ref 210s with the Sashas, have you tried any other amps with the Sashas apart from the Ref 110s. That dip to 1.8ohms at 86 Hz plus the combo pf -43 degree phase angle and 3ohms at 61Hz would put quite a strain on the Ref110s but it's a testimony to the robust power supply of the Ref110s I guess. Just curious and welcome again.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Cmalak and joeling:
Cmalak
Thanks for the welcome. I had McIntosh 2102 (100 tube watts) before ARC. Not as neutral or dynamic as ARC----more classic old style tube sound. If the Ref 110 has a weakness, it is low end grunt, especially with Sashas. I didn't find that the Ref 210s helped that much. I have also heard the brand new VTL 450s with Sashas which had better low end than Ref 110s with Ref 5, but still not as good as Spectral, Levinson and Classe solid state which I have also heard with Sashas. But elsewhere re ARC v VTL (mids and highs) I thought the ARCs more accurate although a bit lean; much wider soundstage, but not quite as deep as vtl. Close call. Completely different presentation. I go with ARC. (also heard Lamm hybrids which had a very nice if slightly warm low end and a very natural sound throughout
Once I added Ref 40 to the mix, the ARC sound became fuller, sweeter and with much better low end. Not sure if I'll have a low end problem once the Ref 40 is fully broken in. But, in any event, I will have to audition the forthcoming ARC Ref 150s which have 1,000 joules in ps versus 540 for Ref 110. Might also try Ref 300s (?) assuming such a designation will replace Ref 210s. Extra joules (about as much as current as 610Ts) have to help with low end grunt.
joeling:
Let us know if you reach the same conclusion I did on Ref 40. Still amazed at how great a piece this is.
jpgr4blu
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Guys,

Sigh, no doubt about it. The ref 40 is better. I am trying to find some excuse not to take it but looks like resistance is futile.

Word of advice to those who still have the chance to run away. Do not try the ref 40 if u have no intention to acquire it. This is especially relevant to the owners of ref 5. U have been warned !

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 PM

Joe...congrats on the Ref 40 You are going to be part of a select group of customers who will own this reference level preamp. Enjoy it!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Well, Although it is in my system now, I will still have to cough up the cash for it. What the hell, u only live once right ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 04-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Joe; I'm in the same boat as you... I have a Ref5 and currently a REF40 on order that needs to be paid. I ordered it a month ago and looks like I have addiitonal 3-4 weeks wait. My system is Sasha's, Lamm 1.2 and soon REF40.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 AM

They are also very backed-up filling current REF40 orders. I inquired about the status of mine yesterday and was told they are a month behind. Which will be over 2 months for me to get mine.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Hi

how many REF 40 has been sold in the world ?

i read that last REF 40 were shipped in december 2011

Thanks