AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM

Default McIntosh - ARC Dilema

All,

I'm seeking some commentary and thought from you as I get closer to "pulling the trigger" on new electronics.

Just spent this past weekend in Dallas. Had the opportunity to listen to ARC and McIntosh for my Salon 2s.

While the dealer did not have Revels in stock, they did a super job setting up a room for me with the ARC CD8, Wilson Sashas and two sets of electronics for the comparo. I realize the Sashas are very different to the Salon 2s; however, they are very neutral which made for a very good setting. Also, given my home location, arranging for a home audition is not practical.

I listened to the McIntosh C48 and C220 with MC302 and the ARC LS27 and DS225 (new D class amp).

While I'm not interested in the MC302 nor the DS225 (need more power for the Salons), I wanted to hear sound characteristics in a very neutral environment.

My impressions:

1. The McIntosh combo sounded good. Good soundstage, good mids and highs and a strong low end. Some "nasality" or coloration on the C48 in several complex music passages (we played this track multiple times) - concerned me a bit. Oh, but that McIntosh gear looks terrific!

2. The ARC combo had a more lucid and transparent sound with a bit less low end. The 225 did have enough power to drive the Sashas - I was impressed. However, I did miss the low end of the McIntosh with the Wilsons.

3. I then listened to the ARC LS27 with the MC302. This combo offered the smoothness and clarity of the ARC and the low end power of the McIntosh. My preferred setup!

4. We tried a fourth combo - the dealer setup a C220 with the MC302. I did not find it as involving as the LS27 and MC302 combo.

So, I'm scratching my head a bit now. I was originally thinking a C48 or 50 with either the MC452 or MC601. I'm now wondering if I need to consider the LS27 with the either of those amps OR try the McIntosh C2300.

One last thing, I no longer have vinyl. Sold my LP12 and album collection a few years ago. So, having a phono section is not important at all. If anything, I intent to go to a music server eventually.

Again, would appreciate your comments!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......That was an interesting audition in which you did not hear the amps you're interested in, or the speakers you plan to use them with, in an unfamiliar room. It was good that you had an opportunity to listen to both preamps on your wish list, but without the genuine synergy of your amp of choice driving your speakers of choice, it would seem almost impossible to come away with a clear notion of which components suits you best. The C48 or C50 feeding a signal to the MC452 or a pair of MC601's that were driving the Salon 2's would give you a far clearer picture.

I would say the same thing about the Audio Research LS27 preamplifier, which by the way is a beautiful pure Class A tube design, as I understand it, although I have not seen nor heard one. I know ARC's LS26 has gotten rave reviews from owners and the press. I would have to believe that the LS27 feeding and ARC DS450 would be an ideal synergistic match, and its 450 watts per channel would thoroughly involve your Salon 2's.

I am not trying to say that mixing and matching preamps and power amps from different manufacturers cannot produce spectacular results, but I am saying that the gear you actually auditioned wasn't really the gear you ultimately had in mind. I am sure the audition left an impression on you. The question is whether that impression has anything to do with where you hope to end up.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-18-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 PM

Dan,

Very fair points. I went in to the demo knowing that it was going not going to be the "perfect" scenario. I do feel that it was a good exercise.

Honestly, my preference would be NOT to mix the brands. But the I did like the combination of the LS27 with the MC amp.

The dealer is expecting to get the DS450 soon so that may worth another trip to Dallas. Unfortunately, he does not have a MC450 nor MC601s on order...

Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......It is difficult to properly audition specific components, especially when a dealer does not plan to stock what interests you most. Buying on blind faith can sometime produce wonderful results, and just as easily not. I understand compromises often have to be made when auditioning new gear, but you want to get as close as possible to what interests you the most. When you are shelling out $10K+ for components, you certainly don't want that gnawing distress arising in your gut from a decision gone wrong. A redo gets very expensive.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Dan,

Completely agree with you.

Gracias!
Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I would have to believe that the LS27 feeding and ARC DS450 would be an ideal synergistic match, and its 450 watts per channel would thoroughly involve your Salon 2's.
Yes. Agree!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Semi-audiophile

Actually, I've heard that ARC and Mac have excellent synergy. I was also told this by a dealer during my 501 audition. My ancient ARC preamp (LS3, 1993) was, in his view, a better unit than the C45 I heard the amps through (he sells both lines). So it's no surprise they sounded great together.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Actually, I've heard that ARC and Mac have excellent synergy. I was also told this by a dealer during my 501 audition. My ancient ARC preamp (LS3, 1993) was, in his view, a better unit than the C45 I heard the amps through (he sells both lines). So it's no surprise they sounded great together.
I also heard that many times.
Arc preamps and Mc amps would be a match made in heaven, the best of both worlds.
I could not imagine myself more happy than I am with the C1000, but still, an in house audition of the Ref 5 would interest me a lot, with a A/ B to the C1000...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 PM

I've been using an ARC LS26 and MC402 combo to power Magnepan 3.6s for a few years now. I have been very happy with the results; very neutral, powerful and quick bass, midrange clarity that's superb. And there's really no way to describe the ribbbon tweeter in the 3.6s. Have had a few AAers over to listen in the past and they all were favorably impressed too. MikeRT couldn't believe I didn't have a center channel, the central image was so stable. I thought that was a pretty impressive statement from a big time surround guy. BTW, I run fully balanced (Transparent and Wireworld) through my entire system, I've found it makes a difference. I never intended to buy a tube preamp but the ARC was the best i heard in that price range. Their preamps are very non-tube sounding. In fact the 402 is probably more to the warm side than the LS26 is. But they are very synergistic together, and not just with the Maggies, for a while there I was playing with some Harbeth Compact 7s and they sounded terrific too.

Good thing I have some good deductions and tax credits this year since it might be a painful year for me financially-ARC has the new LS27 and DAC8, Maggie has the 3.7s and the craving for a music server is starting to leave bite marks on my ankles.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
Good thing I have some good deductions and tax credits this year since it might be a painful year for me financially-ARC has the new LS27 and DAC8, Maggie has the 3.7s and the craving for a music server is starting to leave bite marks on my ankles.
Sal.......That's quite a wish list you've got going on. I'm guessing that by the end of the year all of it will be in your system.