AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 PM

Good to have you with us here Mike, I enjoy your products in the corners of my man cave !
Old 11-01-2018, 12:22 AM

Welcome!!! Looking forward to your input, help and advice :-)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Default It's me!

Howdy all!

Mike Major here. Nice to be a part of the forum!

For a little history about who I am (so you know where I'm coming from):

I've been in the recording industry for over 30 years. I ran a studio in El Paso Texas for 18 years while also working for a large regional sound company. In El Paso I did just about everything you can do in pro audio including: live sound, sound system installations, recording, mixing, mastering, producing, location sound (for movies/commercials) and some acoustics consulting. I was also an IATSE stage hand for about 12 years.

After leaving El Paso, I established my home mix studio Mike's Mix Room where I've been mixing and mastering records for the last 12 years or so. Most of the work I do in the studio is in the rock genre, though I have worked on almost every type of music you can imagine at some point (you'd be surprised!).

In 2013 I wrote and published the book "Recording Drums: The Complete Guide" which is about-you guessed it-recording drums. Shortly thereafter I started a video series about mixing on YouTube called "The Method to the Mix" which is now available for sale through SonicScoop and The Pro Audio Files.

I am a frequent contributor to Sonic Scoop where I write about all things Pro Audio and recording...though if I'm being honest, I really write about what bugs me in the recording world! There is so much misinformation out there that I try my best to offer tried and true, empirical methods and techniques to help people make better recordings.

I started dabbling in acoustics back in the late 90's in an effort to improve the acoustics of my recording studio (both the live room and the control room). Since then I have purchased and studied numerous books and white papers and have a voracious appetite to learn more and more about acoustics. For all that I've learned over the last 20 years, there is still much more to understand. It's a complicated subject that only gets more complicated the further you dive in.

I started at GIK Acoustics recently and will do my best to be an active participant on this forum. We do get very busy over there but I will carve out some time to check in and hopefully answer some questions for anyone who needs help. I'm hoping I can offer some perspective and expertise about acoustics to help you all get the most out of your rooms, but I also hope to learn more about high-end listening/2 channel/home theater stuff from all of you.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me here and I look forward to some lively, intelligent discussions.

Onward!
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 PM

Cheers Mike, nice intro - welcome.
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250 amp & HD preamp; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion; Boulder 508; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & Ztron powersnakes, Ztron Cobra IC & SC; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, ISOAcoustics Orea footers, HRS Damping Plates; SonicTransporter i7 & Synology DS412+; Audio Desk Pro
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6, WA7 & WA8; Auralic Aries Mini, Sonore MicroRendu, A&K AK100 II, AKG Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow C, Various Moon Audio dragons
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, Nordost Blue Heaven power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Vintage Yamaha CA-1010 amp & CT-1010 tuner, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, Schiit BiFrost, AZ & WW cables
Video: Sony XBR65X850C; Vienna Acoustics Schönberg L/R, Webern center & surrounds; REL T1/T2/T3 subs; Arcam AVR850; Cambridge Audio 752BD; MIT-EXP SC
Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 PM

Glad to have you. Impressive resume, and I have had 2 very good experiences with your company.

Nad M12 preamp with BlueOS card, M22 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Wireworld Electra 7 power cords, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. Herbie's Tenderfeet, Cone and Hush Puckies isolation feet. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player

Spare Room/Office

Parasound Hint 6 Integrated amplifier, Dynaudio Contour 20's, Bluesound Node 2i, Audioquest Red River RCA interconnects. GIK Acoustic's Impressions Series panels and Soffit Bass traps.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:52 AM

Glad to have you aboard, Mike. And thanks for your background info. Welcome.

Living Room: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop/JRiver Media Center 25 audio player; Uptone Audio ISO REGEN powered by LPS 1.2 Ultra Cap supply; TEAC UD-501 DAC; upgraded SOTA Sapphire III; Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V; McIntosh MR77; Oppo BDP-83; conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH); conrad-johnson MF2500; Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld Starlight 7 USB (laptop to ISO REGEN); Wireworld Eclipse 7 (UD-501 to 17LS & 17LS-to-MF2500) and Equinox 6 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Monster traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 25 audio player; Uptone Audio REGEN w/ LPS-1 linear power supply; TEAC UD-501 DAC; Luminous Audio Technology Axiom Mk. II passive line stage; conrad-johnson Sonographe SA250; Paradigm SE-1. WW Silver Starlight 7 (laptop to REGEN); WW Eclipse 7 (Axiom II to SA250) & Equinox 6 (UD-501 to Axiom II) ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC, Wireworld Electra 5^2 power cord from PLC to UD-501.

Bedroom:External USB 3.0 4TB HDD-->Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center audio player. Shunyata Alpha USB cable; TEAC UD-501; Luminous Audio Technology Axiom Mk. II Walker Mod passive line stage ;conrad-johnson Sonographe SA250; stand-mounted Paradigm Studio 20 v.5. WW Eclipse 8 ICs and Wireworld Eclipse 8 SC; Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC; upgraded-connector WW Electra 7 power cords (from wall to PLC and from PLC to UD-501); PS Audio Power Port; Stillpoints Ultra Minis under Axiom, UD-501, and SA250; GIK 244 and 224 traps, Alpha 4A panels, and DIY 4"-thick 12"x15" traps.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Thanks for participating!

This type of involvement really makes a difference!
Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3’s & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for Gigafoil v4, modem, routers, switches & Stillpoints.
Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, Ansuz C2, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII
Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Welcome to the forum Mike
Old 03-11-2019, 01:28 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give a shout out to Mike for helping with recommendations on which GIK acoustic panels would best fit my space. They are up and I am truly amazed at the change. The improvements where primarily in more focused and powerful bass, and incredible imaging. IMHO for the price versus value, you can't beat properly placed room treatments.
Thanks again Mike!
Jon
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 PM

Welcome Mike!!!