AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 AM

Some more good news re the prem350.

One trouble with as amps and tube preamps is that as amps like to stay on and tube per amps need to be switched off at least once a day, unless we ave unlimited funds for more tubes.

Leaving the ss amps on and switching the tube per off and on can be problematic with thumps, buzzes etc when you switch the tube pre on.

For the first few days I have just switched the amps off with the gat. Last night I switched off the pre off and just switched it back on after work.

Guess what, no thumps, no buzzes.

Let's hope it stays like that. I will not leave the amp on all the time, but it is good to have the option.

Do you guys leave your prem350 on or switch off?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Shane,
I often leave my Pr350 on overnight after a day's burn-in, and just switch off the CT-5; no whumps, thumps, etc. When I do switch the Pr350 off, I do so after the CT-5; been shutting down at night lately as it is having an effect on my power bill leaving it on all the time.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Thank you for all the information.. Great read!

Although the last post seem to be some time ago, im happy to report i love my PR350 as well,

have had the 911mk3 before it, and for quite some time, I like the PR350 better.

Thank you for watching!

Last edited by 4RE; 04-09-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE View Post
Thank you for all the information.. Great read! Although the last post seem to be some time ago, im happy to report i love my PR350 as well, its a keeper. mine has serial #8101119 and was originally sold in the UK. Now comes the different cookies: It is black anodised on special order. have had the 911mk3 before it, and for quite some time, I like the PR350 better. Preamp is Manley 300B. next speakers may very well be Dyn C1 II. Thank you for watching!
4RE,

Welcome to the PR350 fan club! I just bought Puma Cat's unit this summer. It's one of the two best audio decisions I've ever made. It works as though it was made for my Thiels. I've never heard the 911 mk3 but that is an impressive and well reviewed bit of kit. What do you prefer in the 350?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Some more good news re the prem350.

One trouble with as amps and tube preamps is that as amps like to stay on and tube per amps need to be switched off at least once a day, unless we ave unlimited funds for more tubes.

Leaving the ss amps on and switching the tube per off and on can be problematic with thumps, buzzes etc when you switch the tube pre on.

For the first few days I have just switched the amps off with the gat. Last night I switched off the pre off and just switched it back on after work.

Guess what, no thumps, no buzzes.

Let's hope it stays like that. I will not leave the amp on all the time, but it is good to have the option.

Do you guys leave your prem350 on or switch off?
As summer has been very hot, I have been living again with my cj premier 350 and an ART series 3 preamplifier. Sometimes I keep the premier 350 on for a few days and there is no thumps or buzzes when I switch the ART on or off.

After a few weeks using the premier 350 with the ART series 3 I am much more impressed by the 350 then previously - I have used it with the ACT2 series 1 and 2. It is really a great sounding SS amplifier.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Its a good practice to always turn on your power amplifier last in the power up sequence. I turn on my sources first then my preamp and lastly my power amps. I turn everything off in the reverse order.
I agree with Ronenash. Not to be a "know it all" but there's a discussion about this back on page 23 of this thread. I think the SQ gains to be had by leaving the 350 on all the time are not quite worth the risk of powering a preamp on and off while it is powered up and connected to speakers. CJ strongly discourages the practice. Of course, I also wear a belt and suspenders. ;-)

Last edited by Vhiner; 09-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
I agree with Ronenash. Not to be a "know it all" but there's a discussion about this back on page 23 of this thread. I think the SQ gains to be had by leaving the 350 on all the time are not quite worth the risk of powering a preamp on and off while it is powered up and connected to speakers. CJ strongly discourages the practice. Of course, I also wear a belt and suspenders. ;-)
Even if the volume control is turned down? Can't see much risk in that, what am I missing?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM

Power cycling a preamp when connected to a live power amp is never a recommended practice, hence the usual power sequence is to always power down the power amp first and power it up last, after the preamp is on and stabilized. This is particularly true with tube preamps. Power cycling the preamp when connected to a live power amp risks some surges being sent to the power amp which can possibly damage the amp or speakers.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Even if the volume control is turned down? Can't see much risk in that, what am I missing?
This is above my pay grade, but CJ states this in the manuals and verbally. As my feeble mind understands it, the protection and muting circuitry is not designed to handle anomalies that occur when you do this. I could be wrong but I listen when a tech says "don't do that."

Additionally, while the 350 is utterly amazing, it has a reputation of not responding well to any "less than ideal" procedures ( unhooking speaker wires before the massive Teflon caps drain, touching connected gear when you are charged with static electricity, etc.) Let's put it this way; I treat mine like a fussy Diva. I make sure that nothing disturbs her before, during or after showtime. ;-)

Last edited by Vhiner; 09-21-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 AM

Very enjoyable topic, but then again we can't hide our enthusiasm on the CJ350 can we?

I can't lay my finger on any particular stand out with my CJ350, as many other amps do on certain parameter(s). Ultimate transparancy is a great feature, but not if it cost you naturalness and sheer beauty..

Had the Burmester 911mk3 before the CJ350. The 911mk3 has this thing about sounding impressive. You are impressed right at the first moment and all the time. Ofcourse it has all those attributes that a superb transistor amplifier has or should have anyway if you look at the retail price..

Although sounding very impressive there was a moment after some year of listening I kept noticing the metallic shine and a 'frozenness' on strings especially the violin. The most hard part to get right are the strings imo. Furthermore the 911 has a sort of military aura, it lacked sort of humanity, beauty, a female touch dare i say.

With the CJ350 there is less ultimate transparancy (the trade off i think) and less getting to the core, less striving the be the ultimate like the 911 does.
That said, the CJ350 is transparant enough, very lively and just as powerfull and kick-ass as the 911.

It is all a matter of perspective on things.

There are some nice online reviews with Herr Burmester, in one of those a core question is beeing asked to Mr. Burmester; 'why do your amps sound the way they do'?
His answer was something like this; 'I play electrical guitar in a rock band all my life, and i want my amps to sound just like that'

The ultimate violin sound was with an Kondo Ongaku.
period. basta. No amplifier touch that, well maybe the Wavacs.
But I would not want to live with an Kondo ampli for other parameters.

Back to the CJ350. It is less transparant compared to the 911, it has a somewhat lesser air and soundstage too.
But the strings and naturalness with classical music touches great tubes, not totally, but it comes close. Have owned many of the other big tube names, and would be cautious to claim the CJ350 sound like the very best tubes out there.
It is also i just don't want to live with such extreme tube amps anymore.

The input sensitivity on the CJ350 can be a pain.
in my case the useable volume region between 6 o'clock and say 10 o'clock.
90dB+ speakers are out of the question with this config.

Have the CJ350 powered up all the time,

CJ ET5 does have my attention ;-)

Last edited by 4RE; 04-26-2014 at 12:14 PM.