AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Don't speakers have a "Made in...." label on the speakers and packaging like every other product?
I guess that would depend on where the final assembly takes place and other little variable like that.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Now that were way off subject. I thought it was funny when I owned my Harley Davidson Fat Boy and every time I would purchase and aftermarket piece it was made in china..lol
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Listener in Training

I don't really care where something's made, as long as we're talking about free labor. I'll spend my money on what's the best deal for me, and it shouldn't be ANYONE's business but mine to take MY business where I like. That goes for any GD government or customs bureau that makes things more expensive. Crytklmass, should our European and Asian friends really have to pay double for McIntosh because of customs duties (transportation & exchange hedging cost more for exports, but that's relatively minor)? Check this article out, there's a lot of American jobs at these companies, and others who export, market and finance these products both here and at the importers: Is weak dollar fueling high-end audio export boom? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

Yes, China's got some serious issues, but having spent a good amount of time there over a 20+ year span, it's a hell of a lot better on almost every measure, although political freedom is still nothing to brag about (and yes, even that measure is much better if only because of the abysmal record under Mao).

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people of my generation who wouldn't think of buying an American car, and that's a shame because looking at some of them now, there's been a ton of progress (a couple Ford models, Caddy and Buick come to mind). Our unions, overbearing government regulation, and at times cowardly management have done more harm than most Americans are willing to admit.

The Chinese to a large part are not causing pollution (yes, marginally, there is more pollution due to lower standards, but that, too, is changing) - the factories have been exported there, and the U.S. is a lot cleaner. Compare much of the Hudson valley to 50 years ago. If someone's willing to do the job cheaper, who has the moral right to stop him from doing so? That person is often an inland Chinese villager who goes to coastal China for a factory job that pays 4x their peasant wage, and try to get his or her child back home into a better (private) school. Who are we to deny that opportunity if someone is willing to sacrifice so much? Some people do lose work as a result of the process, but that is a part of market efficiency, with or without trade as well. While we may try to diminish the negative impact in those instances, we can't stop progress.

OK, sorry to rant, but I'm a big believer in a global economy that raises everyone's standards overall. Compare global wealth today to a short 30 years ago, and you'll see HUNDREDS of MILLIONS have escaped poverty by this simple mechanism, and it has directly contributed to my ability to afford McIntosh.

Oh, by the way, I look forward to seeing the new 800 series.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 AM

Well, it's a bit too late to start changing things drastically since China holds so much of our debt, a whopping 800 billion or 23 percent followed by Japan at 21 percent. I'd say the dollar and our economy would simply collapse overnight should something go wrong....
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
I don't really care where something's made, as long as we're talking about free labor. I'll spend my money on what's the best deal for me, and it shouldn't be ANYONE's business but mine to take MY business where I like. That goes for any GD government or customs bureau that makes things more expensive. Crytklmass, should our European and Asian friends really have to pay double for McIntosh because of customs duties (transportation & exchange hedging cost more for exports, but that's relatively minor)? Check this article out, there's a lot of American jobs at these companies, and others who export, market and finance these products both here and at the importers: Is weak dollar fueling high-end audio export boom? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

Yes, China's got some serious issues, but having spent a good amount of time there over a 20+ year span, it's a hell of a lot better on almost every measure, although political freedom is still nothing to brag about (and yes, even that measure is much better if only because of the abysmal record under Mao).

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people of my generation who wouldn't think of buying an American car, and that's a shame because looking at some of them now, there's been a ton of progress (a couple Ford models, Caddy and Buick come to mind). Our unions, overbearing government regulation, and at times cowardly management have done more harm than most Americans are willing to admit.

The Chinese to a large part are not causing pollution (yes, marginally, there is more pollution due to lower standards, but that, too, is changing) - the factories have been exported there, and the U.S. is a lot cleaner. Compare much of the Hudson valley to 50 years ago. If someone's willing to do the job cheaper, who has the moral right to stop him from doing so? That person is often an inland Chinese villager who goes to coastal China for a factory job that pays 4x their peasant wage, and try to get his or her child back home into a better (private) school. Who are we to deny that opportunity if someone is willing to sacrifice so much? Some people do lose work as a result of the process, but that is a part of market efficiency, with or without trade as well. While we may try to diminish the negative impact in those instances, we can't stop progress.

OK, sorry to rant, but I'm a big believer in a global economy that raises everyone's standards overall. Compare global wealth today to a short 30 years ago, and you'll see HUNDREDS of MILLIONS have escaped poverty by this simple mechanism, and it has directly contributed to my ability to afford McIntosh.

Oh, by the way, I look forward to seeing the new 800 series.
+1
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 PM

I can go to cananda just 30 min away and buy speakers and amps much less there than I can in the u.s. Of course you have to pay duty when you return. When I was purchasing my 30ft boat I saved approx. $30,000 buying the exact same boat 45 min. away in canada. That's alot of money. I'll buy wherever it costs me less money. The cost of the product should be considerate upon the countries cost of goods. ie. If I make a median income of $70,000 per year here in the u.s. and a Mcintosh MX-150 is $10,000. Then I go to canada where the median income in 40% less, that same Mcinthosh amp should be priced 40% less. It should be equal to whatever your cost/income/spending ratio is. Wow! that makes no sense. I know what im trying to say, just cant put it into words. Was it fair that exact same boat cost $30,000 since I purchased it in another country? Actually WE as consumers decide how much an item will sell for. If the company is asking $60,000 for a pair of speakers and WE as consumers think the price is too high and they don't sell a pair for a year, I'll bet they drop the price until they start selling. So It's up to us to set the pricing. Not so much manufacturer's. Look what happened with the big 3 american auto makers. they priced themselves into bankruptcy. Now the average car is $20,000+ - $30,000. for some thats more than they make in a year. The housing market, etc. Cost of living raises 4% every year but our raises are not 4% ever year. It was just a matter of time before this happened. Now it's time to re stabilize our income/outcome. Were very greedy in the U.S. We all want more money per hour but cannot keep up with inflation.
Wow, where the heck did this conversation end up. now where were we? Something about the new 800 series B&W.
Just curious, What do you use to clean the Black finish on top of the speakers? the Bowling ball? When I owned speakers that had piano gloss finish, I used piano polish. What do you recommend for the 800's? I assume its ok to use pledge on the wood.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I
Just curious, What do you use to clean the Black finish on top of the speakers? the Bowling ball? When I owned speakers that had piano gloss finish, I used piano polish. What do you recommend for the 800's? I assume its ok to use pledge on the wood.
When I had 802d's I just used a damp micro fiber cloth. Stayed perfect.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
The cost of the product should be considerate upon the countries cost of goods. ie. If I make a median income of $70,000 per year here in the u.s. and a Mcintosh MX-150 is $10,000. Then I go to canada where the median income in 40% less, that same Mcinthosh amp should be priced 40% less. It should be equal to whatever your cost/income/spending ratio is. Wow! that makes no sense.
What should the MX150 cost in poverty stricken/third world countries? Free maybe? I think your boat example came out to be cheaper because of the currency exchange rates back then rather than the actual price difference, there was a time when a Canadian dollar cost .65 cents in US. Often large companies keep the prices relatively stable and "hedge" against the currency fluctuations, take Porsche for example, what costs here in the US $100k costs 100k Euro, except that 1 Euro is now $1.45.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Listener in Training

Hi crytklmass,
My 802Ds came with the cloth Jim mentioned, your dealer may be able to get you some or maybe you can check with B&W USA.

Not to get off-topic, but do you ever take your boat to Put-in-Bay? Lots of fun there! Many years ago a buddy of mine took a 1935 35' Chris Craft carrying about eight 23 year olds there for a weekend.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 PM

No I didnt make it this summer. I did make it to jobbienooner. Oh Ya. Welcome to Jobbienooner.com! (do not open with young children present) I just bought a new Garmin Gps so I'll be making that trip next summer. Maybe even head to cedar point. Although the risk of being trapped by large waves is always possible. Lake Erie can change fast. Im NO captain. I went from my 20ft. to my 35ft. Huge change. Still getting used to it. I do alot of boating on Lake St.Clair, Detroit, and Erie. 90% on St. Clair. But I do like to head out for a weekend travel. Maybe head to old Boblo Island.
Your Correct PHC1 The exchange rate 5 years ago made a huge difference. Would be nice to visit a 3rd world country and buy an MX-150 for a couple thousand. It probably cost McIntosh $3000.00 to manufacture and they sell it for $10,000. Good profit. That's just a guess. We'll never know the true cost. Besides there are years of R&D involved.