AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Denon

Denon Innovator of Digital Audio Technology

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Thumbs down for Denon.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 12-15-2010, 03:08 PM

FYI---I've had a chance to extensive listening to Denon's DCD-A100 and it is very, very good. So smooth, yet with deeply revealing details, both instrumental and spatial.

Also it has amazingly extended and tight bass. It's bass response also blends very well
with the lower mid-range. It's lower treble/uppermost mids were a little peaky at first, but that coloration has been mainly burnished off with about 150 hours of play time. NOTE--this small peak had a very narrow notch and was not a ringing resonence that affected frequencies around it. All-in-all a real sweet player with RB CD's and SACD's.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar View Post
that AVR A100 is pretty nice too..latest/greatest audio decoding..external amplification capable, with 2 sub woof connections and best of all, it uses the abchor bay video processor/upscaler.
best bang fer the buck Denon AVR is the 2310 as the 2311's are out and can be had for about 1k.
Hell, I dint even know denon been around a 100 yrs.. lol
oops.. I meant the 4310 if one can be found. They were going for about 1k.
hbar
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM

That integrated, for the price and what it is, looks really lame... This coming from someone interested in Integrated amps.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 PM

The turntable is nice. I saw it in person the other day. It's huge!

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delp View Post
FYI---I've had a chance to extensive listening to Denon's DCD-A100 and it is very, very good. So smooth, yet with deeply revealing details, both instrumental and spatial.

Also it has amazingly extended and tight bass. It's bass response also blends very well
with the lower mid-range. It's lower treble/uppermost mids were a little peaky at first, but that coloration has been mainly burnished off with about 150 hours of play time. NOTE--this small peak had a very narrow notch and was not a ringing resonence that affected frequencies around it. All-in-all a real sweet player with RB CD's and SACD's.
I bought one of the DCD-A100 SACD players when they were discontinued and discounted to 1500 dollars. I think it's an excellent player, so well constructed, and I agree with your assessment of the sonics. I like it more than I did the Sony SCD-XA5400ES i had. I use my PS Audio DAC Mk II and Transport for Redbook, though the Denon Redbook sounds good, it's no match for the PS Audio Duo. But the SACD sound after hundreds of hours is very very good.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Moving on to 2018. My DCD A-100 is crapping out. Like others, I bought the unit after the 100th anniversary had passed and got a big discount on it. (I also picked up the DL A-100 MC cart for a song as well)

It's a very good player, but it started skipping on hybrid SACD's. Now it's getting fussy reading redbook CD's as well. Just before the 5 year warranty expired, I contacted Denon to set up a warranty service on it. My customer service experience was nothing short of abysmal. Denon had absolutely no record that they ever made a DCD A1-100 (I am not kidding about that). Finally, the rep just gave me a service authorization number and told me to box it up and send to their New York facility. I was so underwhelmed by the whole experience that I didn't send it in. Now the warranty has expired and it's skipping as bad as ever.

I'm concerned the mecha unit needs to be replaced and those are pretty costly. I'm thinking of bringing it in to my local repair shop. If it can't be fixed on the cheap I'll probably just replace it with an OPPO UDP 205.

Denon and I have hit a dead end in our relationship.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Moving on to 2018. My DCD A-100 is crapping out. Like others, I bought the unit after the 100th anniversary had passed and got a big discount on it. (I also picked up the DL A-100 MC cart for a song as well)

It's a very good player, but it started skipping on hybrid SACD's. Now it's getting fussy reading redbook CD's as well. Just before the 5 year warranty expired, I contacted Denon to set up a warranty service on it. My customer service experience was nothing short of abysmal. Denon had absolutely no record that they ever made a DCD A1-100 (I am not kidding about that). Finally, the rep just gave me a service authorization number and told me to box it up and send to their New York facility. I was so underwhelmed by the whole experience that I didn't send it in. Now the warranty has expired and it's skipping as bad as ever.

I'm concerned the mecha unit needs to be replaced and those are pretty costly. I'm thinking of bringing it in to my local repair shop. If it can't be fixed on the cheap I'll probably just replace it with an OPPO UDP 205.

Denon and I have hit a dead end in our relationship.
That stinks. I can't believe the service you received about a so-called worldwide special edition.

I owned the same player for a couple of months when it was released but didn't think it was special sounding enough to keep versus my Oppo BDP-95. It was disappointing because I thought the player looked really nice.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 02-14-2018, 11:11 PM

I have an older DP-500m which is almost identical to the DP-A100. The arm appears to be upgraded at the base. The arm on mine was pretty darn weak and I changed it to a Jelco 750sa. The motor is the same as in the Audio-Technica LP1240. The link below shows pictures, before and after.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-16857342
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
That stinks. I can't believe the service you received about a so-called worldwide special edition.

I owned the same player for a couple of months when it was released but didn't think it was special sounding enough to keep versus my Oppo BDP-95. It was disappointing because I thought the player looked really nice.
Yeah it sucks. Demon was really slick about those products. They created their own separate website for the 100th Anniversary and made you register the product there. Then after the anniversary was over, whoosh... the website disappeared. Apparently taking the product registration with it.