AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 01-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Oled

Dave,
Yep, those DLP sets like yours have great color fidelity and decent blacks, especially the later ones. If it's working I'd leave it alone until OLED come out of four figure territory.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Thank you, yep I am thinking my DLP 73 Mitsubishi is still not only working great, but to be honest I went and got a top end LG in led/lcd and it was not near as nice as the DLP set. The LG went back

Sure the DLP's take up a little less space etc, but that is not an issue. So sad to see Mitsubishi drop out of the TV world, they had partnered with NEC whom has always made one of the best PC LCD's you can buy. They did briefly even make a non dlp set that i think was LCD and it was very nice too.

Does seem to me that the OLED is the best of the best and hope to seem them drop the price 40-50% in a year or 2. the 4k think and 3d hmmm well I just would like a nice 85" or so set, heck even up to a 100" if I can swing the cost.

thank you
It must be nice to have the room for something that large. With my room and limitations I'd need a 55", which would be plenty big in here.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

Just got back from the 2017 shootout and LG's latest, the E7, swept the three categories, besting a Sony AIE (OLED) and X9D (LED LCD), Samsung Q9F, Vizio P and a Westinghouse TV (don't remember the model). There was a $30K Sony OLED (BVX-300) mastering display so there was a true reference. And the judging this time was done by industry pros, not a general audience. The event was part of CE Week in Manhattan.

As a consumer and potential buyer, I thought the LG had better color, but the Sonys had better video processing. Those three were the best TVs and any one would be good. The highest contrast ratio belonged to the LG (70,944:1!); the Sony OLED was a "mere" 44,926:1 and its LCD was 13,181:1. Those numbers would be unheard of not all that long ago.

So if my Pioneer Elite Kuro falls off the equipment rack I'd say I have good choices for its replacement.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 07-17-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM

Very good data. It's impressive to hear about LG. I still had the idea that Samsung and
Sony were leading the pack these days. I have been lurking for a new one, but my old
Samsung Plasma is still going strong (very hot in the summer though!).
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Very good data. It's impressive to hear about LG. I still had the idea that Samsung and
Sony were leading the pack these days. I have been lurking for a new one, but my old
Samsung Plasma is still going strong (very hot in the summer though!).
Despite the LG's better color, I think I'd get the Sony A1E, due to its better video processing. The Sony's picture was a bit bluish, but eminently watchable nonetheless. Even the Sony LCD seemed to have better VP than the LG. But Sony's known for good video processing. I would want the 55" version, which is plenty for my room. The sound systems on both look to be of decent quality also, another plus.

The event was moderated by Joel Silver, president and founder of ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), with able assistance from Kevin Miller, head of ISFTV, a product development consulting company to the industry's top television and video source manufacturers. Kevin also is an excellent calibrator; he calibrated my Kuro 111FD. It was nice to renew acquaintances with him.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM

While the picture on the LG is very good (but not completely to my liking because I like a screaming bright picture and LG doesn't have that) I hope anyone who gets an LG never needs service because judging from their service on appliances, you might as well throw it out because you're not getting the problem resolved--EVER.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
While the picture on the LG is very good (but not completely to my liking because I like a screaming bright picture and LG doesn't have that) I hope anyone who gets an LG never needs service because judging from their service on appliances, you might as well throw it out because you're not getting the problem resolved--EVER.
This is why a really great dealer would be important. I have one in Value electronics, up in Scarsdale. I bought my Kuro 111FD plasma from them, as well as two blu-ray players and a couple of smaller TVs. Robert Zohn, the owner (and the one who started the shootout years ago), and family are great to deal with and I got a good deal on everything, not to mention free delivery on the Kuro. I'm confident that they'd make things right if I got the LG OLED and there were problems. But as long as the Kuro keeps chugging along I'm in no hurry. Besides, VE sells both OLEDs, so I could avoid LG and get the Sony if there were misgivings about LG's customer service.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 AM
That's a Deusy !

I will say when I first got my OLED I was going to take it back . I decided to get the set calibrated. It made all the difference. I was having issues with judder ghosting everything else. Calibration fixed everything ! LG should not have made a TV that was so difficult to get right
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lax View Post
I will say when I first got my OLED I was going to take it back . I decided to get the set calibrated. It made all the difference. I was having issues with judder ghosting everything else. Calibration fixed everything ! LG should not have made a TV that was so difficult to get right
I think calibration is the definite way to go. I had my Kuro looking pretty decent with the onboard settings, but the professional calibration I got took it to another level. Greater detail was the main benefit to my eyes, and a cleaner picture overall. I have all the HDMI inputs calibrated in ISF Night mode, 30ft-l; I don't need a day mode for my room.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Ivan the 75" Z model chip set Sony is the dream set to own, saw one at a Best Byt Magnolia store WOW just WOW!