Very solid in every respect!
Bluebird Music 09026-63916-2
Regards,
Jim

Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Life is beautiful

Avishai Cohen - Arvoles
Qobuz 24/96

Very lively album, with of course a prominent bass...

Avishai writes: 'This music I give you is straight from my heart, I hope it moves you and uplifts your soul.’

Well, it did!

Recorded earlier this year in Sweden.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Life is beautiful

Fred Hersch & The WDR Big Band - Begin Again
Arranged and conducted by Vince Mendoza
via Qobuz

Hersch with big band, a combination you don't often hear.
It works rather well.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Life is beautiful

Ron Carter
Danny Simmons
- Live at BRIC House - the brown beatnik tomes
Qobuz 24/44.1

Not your classic jazz album, but interesting, not in the least because of Carter's brilliant interplay with the vocals.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Let's touch the Sky
Fourplay
Excellent Recording and play as always!
Heads Up HUI-32030-02
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by ehoove; 06-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Life is beautiful

Betty Carter - The Music Never Stops
via Qobuz

Concert recorded inn '92.

Nice review here:

https://www.opb.org/kmhd/article/npr...7-years-later/
Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Retired

George Shearing Quintet, "Lullaby Of Birdland", 2LPs, Verve

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shearing.jpg (82.7 KB, 47 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Retired

J.J. Johnson Quintet, "Dial J.J. 5".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dial J.J. 5.jpg (94.1 KB, 49 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Life is beautiful

Wayne Shorter - Alegria
via Qobuz

I've seen him 3 times since his "comeback" this century.
I love his early work, not so much his rock jazz period, and I adore his work from the 2000s...

With 2002's Footprints Live, nearly two decades of false alarms about a Wayne Shorter "comeback" finally gave way to the real thing -- at least to many critics who welcomed his return to highly cerebral acoustic post-bop. Yet the follow-up, Alegria -- apparently Shorter's first all-acoustic studio album as a leader since 1967 -- is where Shorter really starts to get creative again. The rhythm section from Footprints Live -- pianist Danilo Perez, bassist John Patitucci, and drummer Brian Blade -- is intact on three tracks. On others, Brad Mehldau -- with his very different conception of sound -- is the pianist, Terri Lyne Carrington subs on drums, Alex Acuna adds percussion, and new, unusual timbres are supplied by a wind/brass ensemble. As on Footprints Live, Shorter revisits some old tunes from his relative youth, but not nearly in the same way. In "Orbits," which was given a racetrack post-bop run by the Miles Davis Quintet, Shorter slows it way, way down, virtually deconstructing the tune, backed by a quizzical chart for winds and brass. Likewise, "Angola" and "Capricorn II" are altered nearly beyond recognition. Indeed, at this point in the 21st century, it was fascinating to see both Shorter and his former Davis bandmate, Herbie Hancock, radically reinterpreting their past, working separately yet often using the same bassist and drummer (Patitucci and Blade) and recording for the same label. Yet, the core message of this album is that Shorter was ready to move on to different things, drawing material from almost anything that caught his attention while soloing in top form on tenor and soprano saxes. With a wild soprano wail, Shorter leads off the CD with his new, absorbing boogaloo "Sacajawea," one that soon morphs into searching, nearly free jazz, with a magisterial solo from the composer. At last, someone in jazz chose to deal with both tunes from Leroy Anderson's Spanish-flavored light classical masterpiece "Serenata" rather than just the lush second subject -- and Shorter decorates them with a complex featherweight orchestration. Though Acuna's bongos pop away in the foreground, Shorter does maintain the melancholy feeling of the familiar aria from Villa-Lobos' "Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5," with cellist Charles Curtis eloquently stating the tune, until he destabilizes things in the middle of the track. As he approached his 70th birthday, this disc seemed to confirm a long-awaited creative Indian summer for Wayne Shorter. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Song for Sisyphus
The Phil Woods Quintet
Some solid music on this Direct to disc LP!
Century Records CRDD-1050
Regards,
Jim