AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #441  
Old 01-12-2021, 01:12 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I have had great luck with Transparent, at least their "lowly" Supers. But I am not shocked that a high end cable is producing unwanted effects. Make sure to resolve this before your risk-free return period elapses
Im sorry but we dont have any -risk free policy- in my country, i
Borrowed said cables for a week, like what heard back then and
Told dealer to encash the check.

What i dont get is after finishing 100 hours of break in— the sound
Became so open and bright. To prove a point— when i first got the
Transparent cables, my speakers are toed in directly to my ears,
This went on for a week after purchase. But now speakers are
Pointing directly to the back wall and it is still too bright for my taste.

Please dont say “wear shades or sunglasses”as my wife already did.
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 01-12-2021, 01:13 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REI View Post
How much did you pay it for the G5 speakers cables?
I got it for 4k u.s dollars.

Please ignore if your message is not for me.
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 01-12-2021, 03:51 PM
2fastdriving's Avatar
2fastdriving 2fastdriving is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
I got it for 4k u.s dollars.

Please ignore if your message is not for me.
You got a great deal. They are something like 7k USD retail.

I'm shocked that you are having these issues, are you calibrated correctly? Was your old wire masking an issue, like a pre/power amp mismatch? what is the rest of your system?

Also, did you change anything else recently? One time I made a few different changes to my system and room and blamed the components for something I was hearing...turned out to be room treatments!
__________________
--Marc

Audio Research Ref6SE, Ref160M's / Esoteric K-01X, G-02X, E-03 / Wilson Alexia / Clearaudio Ovation with Universal Tonearm / Lyra Kleos / Transparent Reference Gen5 / Shunyata Denali 6000S V2, Sigma USB, Clock50, Sigma and Alpha HC PC's / HRS S3 Isolation bases / Roon, Tidal, Qobuz Intel NUC / SoTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE / Uptone EtherREGEN / Vicoustics, GIK Acoustics panels
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 01-12-2021, 08:04 PM
PeterMusic PeterMusic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
Im sorry but we dont have any -risk free policy- in my country, i
Borrowed said cables for a week, like what heard back then and
Told dealer to encash the check.

What i dont get is after finishing 100 hours of break in— the sound
Became so open and bright. To prove a point— when i first got the
Transparent cables, my speakers are toed in directly to my ears,
This went on for a week after purchase. But now speakers are
Pointing directly to the back wall and it is still too bright for my taste.

Please dont say “wear shades or sunglasses”as my wife already did.

Sorry to hear this. Maybe your dealer or Transparent will still help and allow you to trade in for credit? Good luck
__________________
Naim Uniti Core, Schiit Yggdrasil, McIntosh C22/MC275, B&W 805D3/DB3D, Nordost QKore/QBase/Frey 2, Transparent Super
Stax SR-009S with SRM-700T
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 01-13-2021, 12:25 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
You got a great deal. They are something like 7k USD retail.

I'm shocked that you are having these issues, are you calibrated correctly? Was your old wire masking an issue, like a pre/power amp mismatch? what is the rest of your system?

Also, did you change anything else recently? One time I made a few different changes to my system and room and blamed the components for something I was hearing...turned out to be room treatments!
I emailed transparent and they did confirm that i dont have to
Undergo re calibration as i have low z cables for both speaker
And balanced cables.

My system are as follows:

Vitus sia 025
Pmc mb2 se
Chord dave/m scaler
Aurender s10
Kubala sosna power cord
Jorma unity power cord
Transparent reference speaker cable
Transparent reference balanced cable

My room is 3.5 by 4.5 with an open hallway at the back of the
Speakers.

I do know that small room vs big speakers will cause boominess
Sometimes, but what effect will it have on the highs? Is it also
Possible that big speakers on a small room will cause brightness?
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Sorry to hear this. Maybe your dealer or Transparent will still help and allow you to trade in for credit? Good luck
I really got the transparent cables really cheap due to
My dealers bankcruptcy sale.

Im trying to experiment with different power cords right now with
Good effect.... unfortunately with back effect also.
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 01-13-2021, 12:31 AM
2fastdriving's Avatar
2fastdriving 2fastdriving is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,638
Default

You certainly have a nice system and I don't see anything that seems like a problem from what you've said. I'm stumped. I have the same cables for interconnects and speakers, and they are definitely not bright in my opinion.

If you only experience this with these cables, then perhaps you just don't like what TA does, and you should try something else. I know that might be difficult, sorry.
__________________
--Marc

Audio Research Ref6SE, Ref160M's / Esoteric K-01X, G-02X, E-03 / Wilson Alexia / Clearaudio Ovation with Universal Tonearm / Lyra Kleos / Transparent Reference Gen5 / Shunyata Denali 6000S V2, Sigma USB, Clock50, Sigma and Alpha HC PC's / HRS S3 Isolation bases / Roon, Tidal, Qobuz Intel NUC / SoTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE / Uptone EtherREGEN / Vicoustics, GIK Acoustics panels
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 01-13-2021, 03:12 AM
George Prentice's Avatar
George Prentice George Prentice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post

What i dont get is after finishing 100 hours of break in— the sound
Became so open and bright.
That is very strange. I had components that were bright with ribbon speakers... Transparent cables and Straight Wire interconnects were passing too much treble and distortion through and sounded like you describe. I bought Cardas Gold Cross to warm them up, it did. Then I switched to a good contemporary preamp and amp. After listening for literally one minute (the treble had practically disappeared, the tonal balance way off) I went running to the cabinet and pulled out my Transparent cables and instantly the balance was perfect. They don’t add treble they communicate what they are getting and are good at shielding out extraneous noise.

Big speakers are made to fill big rooms, so your triangle will be really small for the power of the speakers. The transparent are exactly that, maybe extra clarity was too much... they convey what goes in. Maybe this has something to do with it. I have a friend with too big speakers... but they just sound terrible in every way (like $30k that sounds terrible). The best systems I have heard matched the speaker size with the room they are in. This could be it. I can think of a number of instances of oversized speakers having problems... not always the same exact problem... but with the high end of the frequency range.


What about bad power? Really noisy power?

Unshielded interconnects? Cables parallel so magnetic fields induce noise?

Any friends with systems so you could swap out components?
__________________
George
Main: Aurender W20SE, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, VPI Aries TT, Van De Hull Frog Cartrige, ARC Ref 5SE Pre-A, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers, , Transparent IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Schiit Gungnir multibit, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-13-2021 at 03:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 01-13-2021, 06:38 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
That is very strange. I had components that were bright with ribbon speakers... Transparent cables and Straight Wire interconnects were passing too much treble and distortion through and sounded like you describe. I bought Cardas Gold Cross to warm them up, it did. Then I switched to a good contemporary preamp and amp. After listening for literally one minute (the treble had practically disappeared, the tonal balance way off) I went running to the cabinet and pulled out my Transparent cables and instantly the balance was perfect. They don’t add treble they communicate what they are getting and are good at shielding out extraneous noise.

Big speakers are made to fill big rooms, so your triangle will be really small for the power of the speakers. The transparent are exactly that, maybe extra clarity was too much... they convey what goes in. Maybe this has something to do with it. I have a friend with too big speakers... but they just sound terrible in every way (like $30k that sounds terrible). The best systems I have heard matched the speaker size with the room they are in. This could be it. I can think of a number of instances of oversized speakers having problems... not always the same exact problem... but with the high end of the frequency range.


What about bad power? Really noisy power?

Unshielded interconnects? Cables parallel so magnetic fields induce noise?

Any friends with systems so you could swap out components?

In regards to electricity, i do have them on their own dedicated line.

I think my systems noise is so low that i no longer have to listen
To loud volume...almost. Even then my systems brightness is
Always unavoidable.

I think the problem right now is the speakers being to big for my
Listening room, mids and highs seem to dominate the room. I
Always thought low end might be my biggest concern.
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 01-13-2021, 01:38 PM
George Prentice's Avatar
George Prentice George Prentice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
In regards to electricity, i do have them on their own dedicated line.

I think the problem right now is the speakers being to big for my
Listening room, mids and highs seem to dominate the room. I
Always thought low end might be my biggest concern.
My friend with the too large speakers primary complaint is “no bass”... which sounds a bit like what you are saying.

When I was young I wanted to climb mountains like Mt. Everest. I lived in Chicago and could only get to the mountains of Colorado once a year at most. So most of my purchases were based on dreams. So my best friend and I bought sleeping bags (the friend with the too big speakers) for -20 degrees F as if we were going to Everest. I sweated and was unbelievably uncomfortable for ten or fifteen years until I bought a bag that was suited for the climate I actually mountaineered in.

One of the most memorable systems I have ever heard was in a room the size of a medium sized closet. I remember it had a Cary amp. The speakers were small. The guy thought the images were too low in the room, so had put reflectors in front of the speakers at an acute angle to the floor. The sound was astonishing, deep bass, big fat images of the sax and drums behind the wall. This guy knew acoustics and system components. He crafted each room to show off different components.

The biggest upgrade I probably ever got for my system was moving to this house... very much accidental choice of this listening area. It is large, 28’ * 38’ .. or 48’ depending on how you want to measure its z shape, asymmetrical on all sides, concrete and underground on 3 sides. My audio guy of twenty years calls it the best space he has ever heard. I moved from a small space then had relatively small speakers and moved methodically to larger (not as on purpose as it sounds). I stopped here with the Sonus Fabre Amati Traditional because they are right sized. My audio guy and I discussed, and thinking about what I have learned over the years confirms to me.. larger would be too large.

I have been forced to learn that “right sizing” speakers is critical in putting together a high-end system. Also, that I am as dumb as a post on the subject, it has taken me getting wacked over the head with the facts and not seeing them for decades. You read the reviews and specs, you want deep bass, etc and get fixated on the biggest baddest equipment without consideration to THE most important parameter... the acoustic space in which they are set up. Sure, SOME DAY you are going to have that dedicated room... the problem is, that some day may be far off in the future or never come. Also, if you build a system for the space you have it is going to be a fraction of the cost... and later in life you are more likely to have the money for that big system.

Looking back, I took the stupidest, least rewarding way to get where I am. Unbelievable persistence, luck, and a lot of money got me to where I am... which is a system that would show well in any of the finest showrooms of high end audio in the world. But it sure wasn’t a bee line to get there. It is enormously gratifying each day when I see and hear the magic of my system. I am sure many have found their way to their ideal system with much less effort.
__________________
George
Main: Aurender W20SE, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, VPI Aries TT, Van De Hull Frog Cartrige, ARC Ref 5SE Pre-A, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers, , Transparent IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Schiit Gungnir multibit, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-13-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase