AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-30-2020, 02:05 PM

Default Stereo Imaging Issues and Hearing Test

Hello,

I hope to start a general discussion regarding an ongoing issue I have with stereo image centre. For a few years now, I have been bothered by the stereo centre image being off to the right: sometimes worse than others, sometimes I just don't notice... The issue has persisted for maybe four years, but it has become more bothersome of late. The issue has persisted through various speakers, amps, rooms and sources.

My current set up is in a non dedicated, open plan living room -- in a large old apartment building. The speakers are closer to a corner on the right, and open to the dinning room on the left. The speakers are about 9' apart and I sit in the dead centre, about the same distance away from them. The Tannoys are toed in about 4" to cross behind my head. There is about 6' of free air behind the sofa.

I recently did extensive re-measureing and setting-up the speakers; switching sides, channels, sources, distances etc. Regardless of set up, the centre image is consistently about 20° to the right. My girlfriend, who is not interested in audio, thought the centre was off the the left a bit...

----

Yesterday I finally had a hearing test. The technician said there wasn't anything conclusive that would point to what I described to him. And there was no physical blockage. However, I do have a somewhat significant dip approaching 4000hz in the left side. At this point is is the only thing that seems to explain my issue. I am no expert at this: perhaps it is only the high mids that are off but that messes with my entire sense of perception?

As an interesting side note, I cannot recall feeling the centre image being so off when demo'ing unfamiliar systems or when listening to headphones. Perhaps my brain over compensates in new environments.

All this being said, I comfortably enjoy my stereo with the balance knob at about a 1/4 turn to the left.

I wonder if there are others with this experience? Or if there are further tests I should pursue both in my system or in my head.

Thanks in advance for the general discussion. A little context: i'll be turning 40 in a couple months...

Last edited by Arr_w; 01-30-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:20 PM

I'm assuming you've tried moving your speakers a little closer together?
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 01-30-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
I'm assuming you've tried moving your speakers a little closer together?
Yeah, i started at 36" apart and landed where they are. The issue has transcended rooms.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:55 PM

Your shift of center focus makes sense. I have some hearing loss in both ears in the upper midrange, centered around 4k. My right ear is a little worse than my left, so I hear a slight shift to the left, maybe 5-10 degrees. It gets a little better when I wear my hearing aids. I also don’t notice it as much with headphones, perhaps because the in-your-head image makes the center a bit more diffuse than a speaker array in front of you.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-30-2020, 05:09 PM

Last edited by Veloceleste; 02-17-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloceleste View Post
Have you tried any mono recordings? Do have a balance control? If so, could the balance control be "off center"? Have you tried measuring with a spl meter each channel individually with pink noise to measure differences at the listening position...
I do have balance control and a Line Straight selection from the remote. So testing with balance control shifted and defeated is easy. Mono records are shifted to the right for me.

Interesting idea testing pink noise channel by channel at the listening position. I suppose an iPhone app would be accurate enough to get the idea.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloceleste View Post
I have found that sometimes an asymmetrical room requires asymmetrical speaker placement...

This is a great point. The Sonus Faber/Sumiko Masters setup process often ends up with asymmetrical placement.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?p=979052
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 PM

This is interesting to me, because I also have a significant drop off at 4k, but I don't have the same issue. The imaging is centered for me.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:37 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr_w View Post
Hello,

I hope to start a general discussion regarding an ongoing issue I have with stereo image centre. For a few years now, I have been bothered by the stereo centre image being off to the right: sometimes worse than others, sometimes I just don't notice... The issue has persisted for maybe four years, but it has become more bothersome of late. The issue has persisted through various speakers, amps, rooms and sources.

Two considerations...

When you say the off-balance image persisted through various equipment, rooms and sources, do you mean your rooms? Iow, do you experience this with other systems, besides your own? You might try listening to someone else's stereo or go to a dealer showroom to compare your experience there with what you hear in your apartment. That could localize the issue to your hearing or your context.

If I understand your description correctly, one speaker is near to a wall while the other has open space. If so, you get reflection on the side near the wall and some degree less on the open side. That difference in room boundaries could explain a shift in center fill.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:12 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

I have experienced some recordings present off center, others do not.

Speaker placement is key

I would think hearing could be also be cause