AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Default The "obvious tweeter" Solution

I have enjoyed Revel Salon 2's paired with a Voice 2 Center as my theater speakers for several years but had an itch lately for something new - Nothing wrong with the Revel's ....they are amazing speakers - I'm simply due for a change

I was excited when I heard the accolades for the B & W D3 launch - I've never owned B & W Speakers and thought this might be the time - I've auditioned D3 802 and 803 models in two different shops both with a McIntosh 452 amp - The lows and mids were terrific but the tweeter just didn't pair right .... its what I call an "obvious tweeter" - In both listening rooms I played with the toe in and fiddled with the processor but could never get a seamless integration - The tweeter was distracting to my ears

I was told that is the sound of B & W - I know these are world class speakers so before I accept they don't work for me (purely on a subjective level) I wanted to see if I am missing anything - Any advice ?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 PM

There are a lot of "world class" products that don't work for me. And you. And everyone else.

If you heard them demo'd in two different places, and you aren't thrilled to death, buy something else. That's my advice.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post

I've auditioned D3 802 and 803 models in two different shops both with a McIntosh 452 amp - The lows and mids were terrific but the tweeter just didn't pair right .... its what I call an "obvious tweeter" - In both listening rooms I played with the toe in and fiddled with the processor but could never get a seamless integration - The tweeter was distracting to my ears

I was told that is the sound of B & W - I know these are world class speakers so before I accept they don't work for me (purely on a subjective level) I wanted to see if I am missing anything - Any advice ?
I felt the same way when I audtitioned the 803's D3 power by the 601's with C52 Preamp and the source was from the Sony HAP-Z1ES... The tweeter sounded too bright for my taste, it overwhelmed the overall soundstage. I don't think I could listen to it for long periods, it would definitely be too fatiguing!

Last edited by Spinpsycho; 12-11-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:50 AM

From experience with the S800 and the 800D2, it took a long time from new for the tweeter to "disappear".

So it's not unreasonable to assume that a slightly hot treble is to be expected with near new D3 800 series speakers.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 AM

The tweeter in the Current YG speakers is the most natural, detailed, and unobtrusive I have ever heard.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
From experience with the S800 and the 800D2, it took a long time from new for the tweeter to "disappear".

So it's not unreasonable to assume that a slightly hot treble is to be expected with near new D3 800 series speakers.
Thanks Art - B & W 800 series speakers always get terrific reviews and have a strong following so a long break in period for the tweeter makes a lot of sense - My Revel Salon 2's sounded great right out of the box and only got better - They are a four way speaker packing three 8" woofers and the transition between drivers is seamless - The speakers vanish into a huge soundstage - It seems B & W might require a bit more patience

I am headed out to hear a pair of 802 D2 floor models - The pair is two years old so the tweeter should be well broken in ........ I hope
Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Art - B & W 800 series speakers always get terrific reviews and have a strong following so a long break in period for the tweeter makes a lot of sense - My Revel Salon 2's sounded great right out of the box and only got better - They are a four way speaker packing three 8" woofers and the transition between drivers is seamless - The speakers vanish into a huge soundstage - It seems B & W might require a bit more patience

I am headed out to hear a pair of 802 D2 floor models - The pair is two years old so the tweeter should be well broken in ........ I hope
Do your Revels have the Beryllium tweeter?
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Your ultima 2's are a speaker that I'm very familiar with, and when partnered with the right source and amplification IMHO they have just about the best treble I've heard from any speaker. When they're broken in, an 800 diamond's treble comes close to matching it but in my experience falls slightly short in terms of transparency and micro dynamics. OTOH, the Diamond tweeter is slightly more 'macro' dynamic and produces a greater sense of air.

Although you'll be able to extract more soundstage size from B&W Diamond 800 or 802, and more bass impact from a 800D2/D3, I'm not sure that it's an upgrade path that I would personally choose.

For an audible step up in performance you would be better to look at something like a Wilson Alexia, which is almost double the price.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post

Slightly hot treble is an understatement! I can't wait for my new speakers to get broken in. 20 hours thus far and still not much by way of improvement. Maybe I'll just leave them on for the next week. Maybe I'm too impatient!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 12-12-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Slightly hot treble is an understatement! I can't wait for my new speakers to get broken in. 20 hours thus far and still not much by way of improvement. Maybe I'll just leave them on for the next week. Maybe I'm too impatient!
Best way is to face them to one another about an inch apart, one speaker out of phase and let them play continuous for 5 to 6 days at various volume levels and different types of music.