B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
You did see he said B&W and not BMW.
yep.....I used the B&W 802 Nautilus for years.....just bought some 803D`s
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Here is a picture of my system awhile back when I still had 802D's:
Before the 501's which replaced the 402.
Before the MCD-500 replaced the X03-se & Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista
I still had the C-200
Was using Synergistic Research B&W Spec cables
After I had sold the Linn and Oracle TT's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b&W.jpg (88.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0242.jpg (81.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Here is a picture of my system awhile back when I still had 802D's:
Before the 501's which replaced the 402.
Before the MCD-500 replaced the X03-se & Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista
I still had the C-200
Was using Synergistic Research B&W Spec cables
After I had sold the Linn and Oracle TT's
Jim,
Did you replace the 402 before you replaced the 802Ds? If so, what was your impression of 402 vs. 501s with the 802D's?
Paul
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Jim,
Did you replace the 402 before you replaced the 802Ds? If so, what was your impression of 402 vs. 501s with the 802D's?
Paul
I only had the 501's a couple of weeks with the 802d's. The 501's were a little better in controlling the low end. I think that 802d's paired with 501's in one of high end audio's better bargains. I paid 10k for my 802d's new (before the list price increase from 12K), I sold them about 17 months later for $9k. They hold there price well.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
I only had the 501's a couple of weeks with the 802d's. The 501's were a little better in controlling the low end. I think that 802d's paired with 501's in one of high end audio's better bargains. I paid 10k for my 802d's new (before the list price increase from 12K), I sold them about 17 months later for $9k. They hold there price well.
What attracted you to the 802's and then sell them? Curious about the path you took and why.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
What attracted you to the 802's and then sell them? Curious about the path you took and why.
I was tired of going thru speakers (bad habit) then taking a bath on them when I turned them over. JM Lab, Von Schweikert, Dali do not have the recognition of B&W and are harder to sell. I thought I was done when I bought the 802d's (okay maybe 800d's) until I starting spending time with the MBL's . I had shopped around and bought the 802d's over Wilsons, Sonus Faber Cremona, Revel, Quad, Kef, and Martin Logan.

It took me time to get use to the different sound. They are almost omni directional and image differently than the JM Labs or B&W's. The MBL's sound more like live music to me, but they are not for everyone, so I never recommend them to those who have not spent time with them.

I still think that for around 10k you will not find a better value speaker than the 802d. It will play loud, has clear high's, very good bass and images well.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I was tired of going thru speakers (bad habit) then taking a bath on them when I turned them over. JM Lab, Von Schweikert, Dali do not have the recognition of B&W and are harder to sell. I thought I was done when I bought the 802d's (okay maybe 800d's) until I starting spending time with the MBL's . I had shopped around and bought the 802d's over Wilsons, Sonus Faber Cremona, Revel, Quad, Kef, and Martin Logan.

It took me time to get use to the different sound. They are almost omni directional and image differently than the JM Labs or B&W's. The MBL's sound more like live music to me, but they are not for everyone, so I never recommend them to those who have not spent time with them.

I still think that for around 10k you will not find a better value speaker than the 802d. It will play loud, has clear high's, very good bass and images well.
The 802D's can be a real pain in the ass to position in most rooms due to what I'd say is a pretty bad bass bloat problem. I've heard them many times and 9/10 times they just sound way too bloated and thick in the bass. The gear driving them also needs to be of very high current capability, otherwise the problem gets even worse. My dealer tried 3 different rooms and pretty much gave up on the 802Ds trying to position them. The 800Ds have much less of a problem with bass.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The 802D's can be a real pain in the ass to position in most rooms due to what I'd say is a pretty bad bass bloat problem. I've heard them many times and 9/10 times they just sound way too bloated and thick in the bass. The gear driving them also needs to be of very high current capability, otherwise the problem gets even worse. My dealer tried 3 different rooms and pretty much gave up on the 802Ds trying to position them. The 800Ds have much less of a problem with bass.
I have heard that some have had issues with the bass, although with neither the 402 or the 501's did I have a problem. If you look at the pictures the front of the speakers were about 5' from the back wall and 4' to the side walls.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I have heard that some have had issues with the bass, although with neither the 402 or the 501's did I have a problem. If you look at the pictures the front of the speakers were about 5' from the back wall and 4' to the side walls.
Not impossible to get very good results. I think people need to be aware of the fact that it may take quite a bit of patience and positioning flexibility in the room because they are not the kind of speaker you can shove in the corner and be done with it. Of course some actually like the exaggerated bass so you never know...
Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
OK all, post your B&W speaker photos here.

My 802Ds & HTM2D (& Sophia the German Shepherd) are below:
Is the guy in the middle listening to "his master's voice?"
Beautiful, clean setup! I'm certainly partial to B&W802s! Ted.

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.