AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Cool Georges ! Thanks for the pics ! Waiting for your impressions of the Svet EL34's.
Jérôme, I just spent two hours with the Winged C and they are absolutely wonderful. I have a much quieter background, the previous ones were noisy. Bass is very clean, soundstage is precise and I've never such voices in my system before.

Now they are still new. So let's see how they evolve.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Jérôme, I just spent two hours with the Winged C and they are absolutely wonderful. I have a much quieter background, the previous ones were noisy. Bass is very clean, soundstage is precise and I've never such voices in my system before.

Great news ..... I found they only needed a short burn in but remember to check the bias settings regularly for a bit, they can swing a bit early on.

The whole set up looks superb Georges
Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post

Where did you buy them Georges ?
Did you also change the input tubes ?
How can you be sure that you're not hearing the effect of the new preamp ? did you first listen to the Tung Sol tubes with the new preamp ?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Great news ..... I found they only needed a short burn in but remember to check the bias settings regularly for a bit, they can swing a bit early on.

The whole set up looks superb Georges
Thank you Matt. I've followed your recommendation and bought them for the store you mentioned.

Quote:

Where did you buy them Georges ?
Did you also change the input tubes ?
How can you be sure that you're not hearing the effect of the new preamp ? did you first listen to the Tung Sol tubes with the new preamp ?
I'll PM you the address

I changed the input tube for a NOS RCA blackplate. I'm letting it burn before putting the old one and see if there is a difference.

I've been listening to the new preamp for over a week and my only change last night was the EL34's.

You really have to visit me and we can play with the tubes and the preamp
Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM

A quick update after a crazy audio week (and even crazier at work)

On Tuesday I received the PS Audio P5 so I've finally used the WW Electra and plugged everything in the P5.

On Saturday morning, I went to pick up 3 marble slab to put under the turntable and blocks. I also received an SSD for the mac mini which I upgraded in the evening. I also helped Jean-Marc with his P10 !

On Sunday, I received a pair of WW Silver Eclipse 7 speaker cable and the infamous Platinum USB !

My system has just jumped in quality, it is completely transformed. The impact of the P5 is almost at the level of room treatment, it is that good ! The P10 was even able to take Jean-Marc system to the next level. We were amazed that the system could still be improved.

When you think you've reach nirvana, you realised that it's only a step and you can still go higher.

The new speaker cable have added bass to the system and more details, I also have an increased soundstage. Though I must admit that my DIY cable were incredibly good and they could perform at the level of 1k$ cables. The USB cable is a notch better than the biface and coax. I couldn't really pinpoint it but I had a feeling of increased dynamism and clarity. (Bear in mind that the USB of the PWD MkI is not very good, MkII has greatly improved the USB).

I had my family over during the day and it was funny to see them all foot-tapping or mumbling the lyrics. It is a proof that something is right in the system.

Right now, I'm listening to the vinyl of Clapton Unplugged and it sounds simply mesmerising. It is full of details and dynamism. The marble slab has done wonders to quiet the TT and make is more stable.

The next step is to upgrade the Volvere to the Sequel. After discussing with Avid, they convinced me that it would yield better results than changing the arm.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Wow !

You're flying Georges !
I did not know JM got a P10.
Congrats to both of you !
Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Wow !

You're flying Georges !
I did not know JM got a P10.
Congrats to both of you !
Thank you Jerome, you have to come back because my system has really changed over the past week.

JM got it on Saturday and I help him install it as it is heavy as hell. It was funny
to see the look on his face when he turned everything on. He couldn't stop zapping from one track to the other. He said "there is something happening here".

We said that you have to try one in your system. I'm convinced it will have very positive impact on the Shindo and the tubes.

BTW, we pushed the amps to see if the P10 could handle the power. We barely went pass 50% with everything on and it was barely warm.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop

Thank you Jerome, you have to come back because my system has really changed over the past week.

JM got it on Saturday and I help him install it as it is heavy as hell. It was funny
to see the look on his face when he turned everything on. He couldn't stop zapping from one track to the other. He said "there is something happening here".

We said that you have to try one in your system. I'm convinced it will have very positive impact on the Shindo and the tubes.

BTW, we pushed the amps to see if the P10 could handle the power. We barely went pass 50% with everything on and it was barely warm.
I will come back with great pleasure.
You have to come to listen to the Harbeths first. With Jean Marc.
BTW, since you're really investing now in your system, I think that you should give a call to the seller of the JA100 monoblocks. 100W of Jadis class A power will probably outperform the Snappers musicality. They are on sale at the incredible price of 4300 euros for the pair. ( more than 16k euros new ! ). The owner is in Paris 16. Maybe that you could try them in your system.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 AM

Hello buddies,

First of all, since it's the Georges'thread, I have to say he is a fabulous new friend; he is the man I wish everyone has for friend.

I had a killer deal since tuesday on a P10; since Georges picked up my curiosity and interest in this kind of system's improvement, I had it in mind .

On saturday afternoon (2 PM),I called Georges to discuss more about it, dimensions were a problem etc... I decided to call the dealer to know if it was available; 10 mn later I called Georges who immediately offered me his help, 45 mn later we were in the shop in Paris, had a quick but excellent listen to the very very beautiful SF ELIPSA driven by an Accuphase 600 , then back home and installed the P10.

I said "something's happening", I was so excited that I jumped from vinyl to CDs and FLAC files, like a kid , wanting to listen to different kinds of music, because....I was amazed, I was scotched at what I discovered, that's to say ANOTHER WORLD...Tame this immediately, I don't want to speak before I'm sure:

In fact ,as usual, I don't want to tell anything before I'm sure of what I say , it could be an effect due to the novelty, or to the "I want to convince that it's worth the money", or the "it's better" due to the "it's different"...I'm always careful at the first impressions, even if very very often they stay the good ones in my case....Georges had the chance to see these first moments, where you don't hide your feelings...

I was late to the party I had on saturday night at friend's place, and during the dinner I sometimes thought to what happened in the afternoon...when we came back home in yje night(1H30 AM!!!!), I had a 30 mn listening session at low volume....it was still amazing!

Sunday morning, mountain bike....

In the afternoon, I came back to my system....same effect than saturday, WWOOAAwWW.... and after dinner, another jumping from Patricia BARBER, to Stacey Kent, Shelby Lynn, Eric Bibb, Clapton's Unplugged, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Buffett, Ronnie Earl, Neil Young ....and hundred others till 1 AM....

Honestly, I had the vanity to think my system was that good that it did not need further improvement, what a mistake...we have to be humble on this, and in the end it's all about our never ending hobby! Next will be the turntable I guess...

So , sorry Jérôme I didn't tell you, I was so busy with this...it was on my to do list to call you (as for Olivier)....

And again, a billion thanks to my friend Georges.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma
Hello buddies,

First of all, since it's the Georges'thread, I have to say he is a fabulous new friend; he is the man I wish everyone has for friend.

I had a killer deal since tuesday on a P10; since Georges picked up my curiosity and interest in this kind of system's improvement, I had it in mind .

On saturday afternoon (2 PM),I called Georges to discuss more about it, dimensions were a problem etc... I decided to call the dealer to know if it was available; 10 mn later I called Georges who immediately offered me his help, 45 mn later we were in the shop in Paris, had a quick but excellent listen to the very very beautiful SF ELIPSA driven by an Accuphase 600 , then back home and installed the P10.

I said "something's happening", I was so excited that I jumped from vinyl to CDs and FLAC files, like a kid , wanting to listen to different kinds of music, because....I was amazed, I was scotched at what I discovered, that's to say ANOTHER WORLD...Tame this immediately, I don't want to speak before I'm sure:

In fact ,as usual, I don't want to tell anything before I'm sure of what I say , it could be an effect due to the novelty, or to the "I want to convince that it's worth the money", or the "it's better" due to the "it's different"...I'm always careful at the first impressions, even if very very often they stay the good ones in my case....Georges had the chance to see these first moments, where you don't hide your feelings...

I was late to the party I had on saturday night at friend's place, and during the dinner I sometimes thought to what happened in the afternoon...when we came back home in yje night(1H30 AM!!!!), I had a 30 mn listening session at low volume....it was still amazing!

Sunday morning, mountain bike....

In the afternoon, I came back to my system....same effect than saturday, WWOOAAwWW.... and after dinner, another jumping from Patricia BARBER, to Stacey Kent, Shelby Lynn, Eric Bibb, Clapton's Unplugged, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Buffett, Ronnie Earl, Neil Young ....and hundred others till 1 AM....

Honestly, I had the vanity to think my system was that good that it did not need further improvement, what a mistake...we have to be humble on this, and in the end it's all about our never ending hobby! Next will be the turntable I guess...

So , sorry Jérôme I didn't tell you, I was so busy with this...it was on my to do list to call you (as for Olivier)....

And again, a billion thanks to my friend Georges.
So JM, I guess you're buying the P10 ?