AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Are you sure that the Stereo settings does not offer a sub output? My Yamaha AVR allows the sub to operate in Stereo mode with 2-channel inputs.

Not sure, but the indicators on the front face that show which channels are being used by each setting never show the sub icon lit (being used) in those three stereo settings... Maybe I need to ask Macintosh

1) Abandon the balanced outputs to your amp and instead use the RCA outputs with splitters to your amp and subs and set the MX121 to Fronts=Large

2) Abandon the balanced outputs to your amp and run RCA outputs with splitters to your amp as well as the LFE output you have now. Have two saved memory configs on the MX121 where you use Bass Management Fronts=Small and the LFE output to the subs as you do now. But also have a second setting where Fronts=Large. You then have to manual swap connections to the sub when you want to have bass management for movies (LFE output) or 2-channel (Front pre-outs).

Cost prohibitive... I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on WW Silver Eclipse IC's, and unfortunately am in no position to switch

I guess if no else chimes in on this, I will have to call/email Mcintosh support...

Thank you Erik for your interest, and again, your time

Hector
Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
Question is: is it possible to use both subs for both HT and 2ch duties, and if so, what is the best way to achieve this? (connection and cables?). I do not have a 2-ch preamp, only the MX-121.

Thanks all in advance and cheers!!
Yes you can do this and I do. I have two e112s below is how I do it.

#1 send your pre-amp to the left sub using the left input, send the pre-amp to the right sub using the right input.

#2 send the receiver sub line level to the open input (right input on the left side sub and left input on the right side sub)

Note this works because the right and left inputs on a single Jl e112 are summed. It will play both signals (preamp on bypass and reciever sub out) at the same time without issue.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

#1 send your pre-amp to the left sub using the left input, send the pre-amp to the right sub using the right input.

#2 send the receiver sub line level to the open input (right input on the left side sub and left input on the right side sub)

Note this works because the right and left inputs on a single Jl e112 are summed. It will play both signals (preamp on bypass and reciever sub out) at the same time without issue.
Is it just the e112 that work this way? I have two F113s.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 05-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

Hello, James. Thank you for your response. To clarify in your set up, you are using an AV pre/pro AND a 2ch preamp with HT Bypass?

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:37 PM

If my understanding is correct, you have only the MX121 and you aren't using a 2-ch preamp with HT bypass in your signal chain.

There are a few important things to check:

1. Be sure to set you L+R speaker size to "Small" in Manual Speaker Setup. This enables "Bass management" which will redirect low frequencies from your main speakers to your subwoofers below a crossover point. A good crossover point to start with is 80hz.
2. Do not use DIRECT or PURE DIRECT as your mode--those typically will bypass any bass management settings.

Don't be alarmed by setting your main speakers to "small" even if they are floor standing. It's a ridiculous misnomer that's been carried on for years and it's really a setting for "enable / disable bass management." If your main L+R speakers are set to large, no signal will be sent on the LFE output because it's assumed your main speakers can handle the full range. If you set it to small, it will redirect frequencies below the crossover point to the LFE port.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
If my understanding is correct, you have only the MX121 and you aren't using a 2-ch preamp with HT bypass in your signal chain.

There are a few important things to check:

1. Be sure to set you L+R speaker size to "Small" in Manual Speaker Setup. This enables "Bass management" which will redirect low frequencies from your main speakers to your subwoofers below a crossover point. A good crossover point to start with is 80hz.
2. Do not use DIRECT or PURE DIRECT as your mode--those typically will bypass any bass management settings.

Don't be alarmed by setting your main speakers to "small" even if they are floor standing. It's a ridiculous misnomer that's been carried on for years and it's really a setting for "enable / disable bass management." If your main L+R speakers are set to large, no signal will be sent on the LFE output because it's assumed your main speakers can handle the full range. If you set it to small, it will redirect frequencies below the crossover point to the LFE port.
Will try it out when I return home from work... Xsing my fingers

Thank you!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:08 PM

nalthien,

You sir, rock! I can't believe how easy it was!!

I am so happy you let me in to the secret of "big" and "small" speaker configuration. I made my fronts "small" and voila! Immediately, the e-112's came to life and this is what Calvin Harris sounds like:

I am SOOOOOOOOO happy. This is what my room with such s*&^% acoustics needed. MORE BASS

Thank you, thank you for your time and input.

And thank you everyone else that chimed in. I am sure each of your suggestions works as well, but manually changing the speaker configuration on the MX-121 set-up menu took no time and more importantly NO MONEY (no re-cabling or adding a 2ch preamp)
Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 PM

Let me tell you guys, two subs for 2ch listening is FREAKING AWESOME!!

I have the subs positioned one behind each tower (strictly because space constraints) and it sounds outrageous. My Paradigm Studio 100's have always been kinda thin for my liking, but now I can enjoy their mid/high's better performance with JL Audio taking care of the heart pounding stuff

CHEERS!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 PM

Ha ha! Awesome--glad it helped!

There really is no substitute for dedicated subwoofers! It's simply catering to the way our ears work.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
Hello, James. Thank you for your response. To clarify in your set up, you are using an AV pre/pro AND a 2ch preamp with HT Bypass?

Cheers!
Yes I have two channel pre/pro two channel gear set to by pass and run the home theater through a reciever.