AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Kinda surprised! I did not think there would be this much of an improvement from the 3.6 to the 3.7 but there is. I still have an issue with the signature between the pan and the ribbon but whats there is really good.
Only have a few hours on them so I can only assume they will loosen up in a few weeks.
Nice job Magnepan!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 AM

Well, the 3.7's are really, really good ... and bass is a subjective matter altogether. Of course, the dealer also talked about pairing them with subs, if one cares for deep good bass notes.

I have NOT heard a 3.6, but to me, these are definitely one of the best speakers I have heard, sans bass of course. Electronics used to drive them are the Naims and they dont seem to run out of power.

Midrange and highs are really smooth and clear and they are a notch above the 1.7's. Price wise, its also seem to be a good "mid point" pricing and I do think that a new 452 would suffice to bring out the best in them. Of course, if one is into mono amping, then the new 601's may be just about the amps to drive them. If the Naims can do a good job, the McIntosh I believe will do a better one (no offence to Naim owners).

I would love to hear a pair of 20.1 someday .... given what I have heard on their 1.6 (traded in pair), 1.7 & 3.7 (showroom demos), I believe the top model must be capable of greater performance.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 AM

3.7 vs 20.1
Well the 20.1's are a bigger sound but unless the room is large enough to support them you might find yourself liking the smaller 3.7
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
3.7 vs 20.1
Well the 20.1's are a bigger sound but unless the room is large enough to support them you might find yourself liking the smaller 3.7
Yup, thats what the dealer said too.

I am happy with what I have today ... and as for the 20.1, well, its an experience I would like to have BUT not owning the speakers. For one, I do not have that kind of space to accommodate them.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Does anyone have pictures of various Magnepan finishes on new 3.7? I'm trying to get a good look online, by Magnepan website is very basic - just shows aluminum red and silver finishes.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM

1.2 kw's really make these speakers sing!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Default late night maggie 3.7 listening from down under

Hi to all at AA from audiot servant down under in Australia...

I have been following your threads for a few months now and have to say how much I have learnt along the way and enjoyed your great stories on all things audio. Thought I'd better stop lurking and start sharing so here goes...

I have only had my maggie 3.7s for just a couple of weeks now but am pretty much full time doing the happy banana routinevmyself these days... what an extraordinary speaker.

It's late at night and I have them at humming along at barely whisper quiet levels and am still loving the music that is floating across the room.

It has been a long road to get me to this set particular of panels (having lived with box speakers for most of my life) but I have to say I couldn't be happier with the change.

Detailed, whole, musical... I am just forgetting about the speakers and getting on with the music. They energise the room, they start and stop on a dime, seamless from top to bottom, utterly transparent and yet still completely kind to music... and they fulfil the ultimate criteria... they make me happy every time I press play and they are barely just starting to burn in.

Still I know there is much more to be had from these speakers, I am a big fan of continuos improvement, and the 3.7s really payback on attention to set-up.
They reward every improvement to the system with an even deeper, more joyous connection to the people playing the music right in front of me every night at home... what a marvel. Completely, unreservedly recommended.

Will catch up again soon.

Best wishes from OZ
Graham (audiot servant)

Main Music:Meridian and Onkyo transports>Wireworld silver starlight>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6, Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L pre>Sanders Magtech amp>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SCs>Magnepan 3.7

Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp

AV:Oppo 95 (coming soon)>Straightwire ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2
Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM

Those Magtech amps worked very well with my 1.6's...
Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 PM

Welcome Audiot Servant,
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Graham, (Audiot Servant) Welcome to AA. You have said more in your first post than most of us say in a month.

You have posted a very good description and review of your new Magnepans, and as an old Maggie owner, I look forward to more of your impressions.

We have several very loyal members here on AA from Down-Under - One in particular - Andy Pandy, from the Sydney area, is one of our most well informed and articulate contributors on popular and classical music. A link to one of his most recent posts is http://audioaficionado.org/music/375...tml#post169466 . Andy recently got a new pair of Quad speakers and is under the spell of new dipoles as well.

Graham, we are very glad you are here. Please become a subscriber and post often.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 05-31-2011 at 05:32 PM.