AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Has anyone been able to compare the 3.7's with the 20.1's? I am thinking of trying a pair, but wondering if the 20.2 is on the horizon any time soon...........

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
dpod4

I listened to my brother's 20.1s driven my a complete ARC system and Linn table. I prefer my 3.7s. More coherent, balanced, to scale, less bright/forward to my ears and images better to scale. 20.1s clearly better and world class with bass and dynamics. 20.1s need a lot more space to breathe and volume to sound their best. I have read where there are no cuurent plans to update 20.1 - too cost prohibitive to make it sound any better.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I listened to my brother's 20.1s driven my a complete ARC system and Linn table. I prefer my 3.7s. More coherent, balanced, to scale, less bright/forward to my ears and images better to scale. 20.1s clearly better and world class with bass and dynamics. 20.1s need a lot more space to breathe and volume to sound their best. I have read where there are no cuurent plans to update 20.1 - too cost prohibitive to make it sound any better.
Thanks, now I don't feel to jealous! I may be moving to a smaller place, so I am considering the 3.7's anyway. I use two Martin Logan Descent's, so I think I can cross the bass over nicely.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024

Thanks, now I don't feel to jealous! I may be moving to a smaller place, so I am considering the 3.7's anyway. I use two Martin Logan Descent's, so I think I can cross the bass over nicely.
The 3.7s throw a lot of great low end energy. I do use a velodyne dd15+ sub tho. Wish i had bought two 10" subs instead. When i auditioned 3.7s i asked dealer to turn off jl fathom since it wasnt needed. Maggies were fine on their own

Last edited by dpod4; 11-02-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I plan on getting the Mye stands in a month or two once my Maggies are broken in. I want to hear the difference after speakers are broken in more. I bought the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses for my 3.7s (have them in all my components right down to my headphone amp), and immediately, surprisingly noticed a tightening and deepening of the bass. I thought I would hear changes in high frequencies so was pleasantly surprised to notice most immediate change in the lower frequencies including mid bass. I ordered Duelund Cast .6 10 watt premium resistors for the tweeter attenuator (1.0 was too damped thru my tube front and my end tube amp; and zero attenuation is just a little bright for my room). To replace stock U pin jumpers I am trying out Mapleshade (made for maggies), Cardas GR, and customized Empirical Design jumpers. The latter sound the most promising since the designer obsesses phase, signal flow, etc. and has done these for Maggies before. The best thing, tho, is these 3.7s sound awesome with no tweaks and not broken in. Question for 3.7 owners....current amp and dream amp? I love how my VAC 300.1a tube amp sounds....dream on certain types of music to have a little more muscle, so bi-amping 300.1a to 300 wpc, or if there is a benevolent ARC dealer willing to be kind to me, I'd buy the Ref 250s in a NYC minute...
After I demo'd the Sound Anchors on the 3.7s there was just no way I'd not have these... the difference is night and day... the Mye stands are probably even better given their additional bracing but they aren't imported into Australia because they work out at about $1850 US here...

That said, I like the way the anchors look as well, they don't look anywhere near as industrial without the angled upright on the back...

Current pre/power - Shindo Auriges L/Sanders Magtech

The Magtech is in some ways kind of tube-like for a SS amp - my first non-valve amp in 20 years... it is grainless and has seemingly endless reserves... never even a hint of compression even when the music suddenly swells like a tsunami... The Shindo sets up the tone, timbre and soundstage for the Sanders and fair makes it sing.

Dream pre - Will be a shootout between Shindo Vosne-Romanee and ARC Ref6 (just kiddin)... so most likely upgrade to Shindo VR by early in the New Year.

Dream power... that's easy - ARC Ref250... if it's better than the 610T it must be something... I've been thinking that all things going well I'll maybe look at doing that within the year.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 11-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant

After I demo'd the Sound Anchors on the 3.7s there was just no way I'd not have these... the difference is night and day... the Mye stands are probably even better given their additional bracing but they aren't imported into Australia because they work out at about $1850 US here...

That said, I like the way the anchors look as well, they don't look anywhere near as industrial without the angled upright on the back...

Current pre/power - Shindo Auriges L/Sanders Magtech

The Magtech is in some ways kind of tube-like for a SS amp - my first non-valve amp in 20 years... it is grainless and has seemingly endless reserves... never even a hint of compression even when the music suddenly swells like a tsunami... The Shindo sets up the tone, timbre and soundstage for the Sanders and fair makes it sing.

Dream pre - Will be a shootout between Shindo Vosne-Romanee and ARC Ref6 (just kiddin)... so most likely upgrade to Shindo VR by early in the New Year.

Dream power... that's easy - ARC Ref250... if it's better than the 610T it must be something... I've been thinking that all things going well I'll maybe look at doing that within the year.

Graham
Great dream system. I would sign up for that, even just the Massetto plus the ref 250s! I am now intrigued by Magtech.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM

+1 for the Magtech. I would say it is one of the best audio bargains for it's price, love mine.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr
+1 for the Magtech. I would say it is one of the best audio bargains for it's price, love mine.
I love the 3d holographic sound of my VAC tube amp. Does the magtech get close?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I love the 3d holographic sound of my VAC tube amp. Does the magtech get close?
Yes but it must be mounted on hockey pucks!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
dpod4

for real? you are talking to a guy who would suspend it from the ceiling with dental floss if i thought that would make a difference!