AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Ref 75SE a good match with Wilson Yvette?

Hi all
I am upgrading speakers to Wilson Yvette. I auditioned them in the dealership with the Ref 75SE and the combination sounded incredible, and I am considering adding either the 75SE or 150SE to my upgrade plans. Should I be concerned about the somewhat low sensitivity rating at 86db if the Yvette when driven by the 75SE? I am mainly listening to classical and electronic music, in a relatively small room (ca 14x12). Does someone else have the Yvette /75SE combo? Any concerns about bass accuracy, dynamics etc? Something that should strongly push me to the Ref 150SE?

Last edited by Slange00; 01-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM

I have heard the Ref75 with Sasha’s and for me it can run out of power at high listening levels in larger rooms. The 150 would help for sure just depends on what volume you listen at and how big your room is. Within its power band though the 75 is one incredible amplifier for sure! Since you mentioned electronic music ... if you’re like me and listen to daft punk at louder volumes you’ll appreciate the larger amp for sure.

George

Last edited by gadawg; 01-19-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Retired

Indeed, that is a relatively 'small' listening space that should be easily filled with the Yvettes & 75SE. You should ask your dealer to let you audition with the 150SE if you think they may need that much power. Failing that, make a deal with him that you can return the 75SE with full credit towards a 150SE within 90-days, or whatever time you feel you need to decide.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM

I listened to this amp with Aerial 7Ts (similar load) with classical several years ago. Tone was absolutely gorgeous but bass was not as well controlled as I was used to and dynamics were lacking with classical orchestral music. I was listening at moderate levels in a medium sized room.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Slange00 - my opinion is you will have no problem with the gear and speakers you mentioned and the initial advice will cure your curiosity.

Gadawg brings up the importance of power, especially if you change rooms down the road. Formerly YB-2 lays out your insurance policy.

Only allow the dealer to drive the train in parallel with your thought and decision process.

Best-

Sent from my iPad using New Forum mobile app
Old 01-19-2019, 03:54 PM

I think that because of your room size, the ref75 is a fine choice. You won't be missing much, you can rest knowing that you have one of the sweetest amps ever made. However the ref150se is a really, really amazing amp which adds some punch to the sweetness and if your budget allows, go for it.

You can also pick up a used Gs150 for a great price, that's what I did and I love it.

The GS has a slightly more solid state sound than either of the refs we're talking about. It's a bit more punchy and neutral in my opinion after having all 3 of these in my house. They all pair best with a ref6 or ref5se in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I think that because of your room size, the ref75 is a fine choice. You won't be missing much, you can rest knowing that you have one of the sweetest amps ever made. However the ref150se is a really, really amazing amp which adds some punch to the sweetness and if your budget allows, go for it.

You can also pick up a used Gs150 for a great price, that's what I did and I love it.

The GS has a slightly more solid state sound than either of the refs we're talking about. It's a bit more punchy and neutral in my opinion after having all 3 of these in my house. They all pair best with a ref6 or ref5se in my opinion.
+1
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 AM

I have a friend with the 75SE/Yvette combo and it sounds great in a large listening space. He loaned it to me for a little while and I tried it with my Salon2's which are known current hogs, expecting it to sound really wimpy and I was shocked at how much mojo it has.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Wilson designed Sophias to be easy to drive with relatively inexpensive electronics. At least some off this characteristic has likely been carried forward in the Yvette successor product. However, YMMV depending on your music. Well recorded classical orchestral music will typically stress electronics significantly more than, for example, jazz.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:46 PM

My experience is that the rated power output of an amplifier is not always a good predictor of ability to play loudly or to produce wide dynamics. I don't have much experience with the Ref 75SE but I do own a Ref 150. I upgraded to the Ref 150 from a VS115, which was a power increase from 120 W/ch to 150 W/ch. That's hardly a big change in power yet the Ref 150 has much enhanced dynamics and plays considerably more comfortably at higher sound levels than the VS115, not that the latter was a bad amp at all.

An audition with your speakers is the best way to determine if the amp satisfies your needs.