AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 01-04-2020, 10:10 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Default Couldn't leave well enough alone!!!

My dealer had a KO1x which I looked at several times. I decided to take it home New Year's Eve. No surprise it's found a new home. To this point I was quite happy with my KO5, but to put it mildly the KO1x blows it away in every aspect. As an added bonus it makes my Lumin U1 sound better too. I'm very excited and thrilled with this belated Xmas gift. Santa is GOOD
Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 PM

Congrats on your K01x. I am sure it will bring a big smile every time you play it. I love mine and can’t ever seeing it being replaced. It does everything. It is truly an amazing unit.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 01-05-2020, 07:30 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Congrats on your K01x. I am sure it will bring a big smile every time you play it. I love mine and can’t ever seeing it being replaced. It does everything. It is truly an amazing unit.
Which do you prefer your player or streaming with Aurender?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Nice addition!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:04 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Tom.......Congratulations on an excellent upgrade. The Esoteric K-01X is a formidable digital playback component. I upgraded from a K-03 to the K-01X and absolutely love mine. If you haven't had a chance to read my Esoteric K-01X Review , you may find it interesting.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-05-2020, 07:23 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Tom.......Congratulations on an excellent upgrade. The Esoteric K-01X is a formidable digital playback component. I upgraded from a K-03 to the K-01X and absolutely love mine. If you haven't had a chance to read my Esoteric K-01X Review , you may find it interesting.
My first thought was a KO3xs but decided this was an opportunity that should not be overlooked!!!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:26 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Thanks guys, every time I listen to this player I have a huge smile.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Dan I reread your review and it reminded me of a thought I've had many times. I wonder if the filters are simply software executed by a microprocessor or are they actual filters which contain polar elements (resistors, caps, inductors)? If they are polar elements and each filter requires break-in we might exceed the life expectancy of the laser assembly rendering the player dead (An idle mind is the devil's workshop )
Old 01-05-2020, 07:44 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Dan I reread your review and it reminded me of a thought I've had many times. I wonder if the filters are simply software executed by a microprocessor or are they actual filters which contain polar elements (resistors, caps, inductors)? If they are polar elements and each filter requires break-in we might exceed the life expectancy of the laser assembly rendering the player dead (An idle mind is the devil's workshop )
Tom.......I suspect the two FIR digital filters and the two short delay digital filters are chip based algorithms, although I have found no direct information to support that assumption. Esoteric does not offer a definitive explanation of the filter networks in the catalog, brochure, or owner's manual.

For the past year I have been enjoying my K-01X with no upconversion or filters. I have settled on those setting as providing excellent reproduction of the source material. The original bit rate is sampled at its original format without alteration. On occasion I have returned to 2Fs, 4Fs, and 8Fs upconversion but find myself preferring the ORG setting where the original input signal is sent directly to the D/A converter without upconversion. The same has been true for the filter. I have played with them but find the filters set to Off are the most satisfying. Having choices is a good thing. Being able to override them is equally essential.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-05-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:33 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Tom.......I suspect the two FIR digital filters and the two short delay digital filters are chip based algorithms, although I have found no direct information to support that assumption. Esoteric does not offer a definitive explanation of the filter networks in the catalog, brochure, or owner's manual.

For the past year I have been enjoying my K-01X with no upconversion or filters. I have settled on those setting as providing excellent reproduction of the source material. The original bit rate is sampled at its original format without alteration. On occasion I have returned to 2Fs, 4Fs, and 8Fs upconversion but find myself preferring the ORG setting where the original input signal is sent directly to the D/A converter without upconversion. The same has been true for the filter. I have played with them but find the filters set to Off are the most satisfying. Having choices is a good thing. Being able to override them is equally essential.
As one who has read many White Papers (tech stuff for work) Esoteric's description of the filters always leaves me with a big ???? I will try no filters and over-sampling.