AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > RMAF 2013 Official Pictures

RMAF 2013 Official Pictures RMAF 2013 Official Pictures

Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Question Serious Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Honestly, the video was the best thing about this room.
So you actually heard the legendary Serious Stereo SE DC 2A3 monophonic amplifiers and 604 duplex speakers?

Can you tell us what you heard from this system?

Dennis Fraker has posted extensively about his amplifiers on a few other well know audio forums.

He is something of a "cult" figure to some people who build low-powered SE tube amps, but not everyone will agree with the design ideas he promotes.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Honestly, the video was the best thing about this room.
Surprising. It's hard to make 2a3 and altecs sound bad. Not for everyone I suppose. It's definitely low on the bling scale.

I'd like to hear his 2a3 amps. They do attract controversy. I always suspected it was due to the price. The speakers...well....well executed 604s are pretty good. Bad ones are pretty bad.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Question serious stereo 2A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Surprising. It's hard to make 2a3 and altecs sound bad. Not for everyone I suppose. It's definitely low on the bling scale.

I'd like to hear his 2a3 amps. They do attract controversy. I always suspected it was due to the price. The speakers...well....well executed 604s are pretty good. Bad ones are pretty bad.
The website suggests that optional finishes are available for the speakers.

The signal circuit is basically a 7B4 directly coupled to 2A3 with a series feed SE OPT.

Dennis uses a low DCR/low Z power supply and over the top $$$ parts and wiring.

Apparently, these amps have been refined over a few decades since he built the first set.

I tried to do a very low budget industrial grade version of a similar circuit on a breadboard and it has turned out really good so far.

But I also employed a robust DC filament supply for the 2A3, something I prefer over AC heating.

I will caution that these type of amps are for high EF speakers for best results.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtube667 View Post
The website suggests that optional finishes are available for the speakers. The signal circuit is basically a 7B4 directly coupled to 2A3 with a series feed SE OPT. Dennis uses a low DCR/low Z power supply and over the top $$$ parts and wiring. Apparently, these amps have been refined over a few decades since he built the first set. I tried to do a very low budget industrial grade version of a similar circuit on a breadboard and it has turned out really good so far. But I also employed a robust DC filament supply for the 2A3, something I prefer over AC heating. I will caution that these type of amps are for high EF speakers for best results.
I'd like to hear these. I've enjoyed many 2a3 based amps over the years - Fi, Wright, Welborne. For whatever reason, I thought I heard that the parts quality was pedestrian - Hammond iron etc. I haven't followed that controversy at Audio Asylum for years tho, so my memory could be off.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Default serious stereo ... the controversy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
I'd like to hear these. I've enjoyed many 2a3 based amps over the years - Fi, Wright, Welborne. For whatever reason, I thought I heard that the parts quality was pedestrian - Hammond iron etc. I haven't followed that controversy at Audio Asylum for years tho, so my memory could be off.
The OPT are custom wound by Magnaquest.

The wiring is Siltech and tubes are EML 2A3's.

The cathodes are bypassed by multiple bundles of expensive caps.

I think the power transformer is a Hammond, but perhaps that changed.

Not sure how it all adds up to $15k per set of amps, but someone is buying them or Dennis would be out of the tube amp business.

As far as the controversy regarding Serious Stereo, it still exists on the other audio forums.

There are a lot of engineering types who like to police things that don't conform to standard electronic practices.

The discussions can get a bit heated on those tube forums.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 PM

that surely has a DIY look to it but it's nice
Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM

Well . . . To Each His Own! I don't have the Best Stuff, but it Plays what I like to hear! Some 15 Year Old JBL E50 Book Shelf Speakers, Some E715 Cerwin Vegas, Yamaha RX-A1040 7.1Channel Receiver, Yamaha BD Player for Video and CD's, All set up with a McIntosh MAC7200! We Be ROCKIN' All D Time!