AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-24-2020, 04:49 PM
Go Dawgs

Amadave - It may be difficult to quantify the upgrades you are considering since they could potentially impact your entire system. Obviously the cable upgrades could have a significant impact on what you already have, but then if you take a look at your amplifiction idea, Changing from McIntosh amplification to either CH Precision or the Ayre combo will have a sonic impact far greater than messing with your power cables.

My advice here would be to start from square one and take a look at your speakers...upgrade, yes or no. Then move to your amplification and think about long term......would you be happy with the McIntosh you already have or would you down the road think you'd be happier with, say, a CH Precision based system?

My thinking here is to try and get off a constant upgrade train....even if you may spend a bit more up front now doing a CH Precision stack for example, it may save you upgrade money over the long term in case you change your mind again. To sum up, you can upgrade any of the paths you mention, but I would go for the more substantial upgrade now assuming you'll be happy with it long term and then build up the other pieces. IMO, going from the McIntosh components you have now to CH Precision would be a fairly substantial upgrade that would benefit your entire system, especially if you can do a matching preamplifier and amp.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Amadave - It may be difficult to quantify the upgrades you are considering since they could potentially impact your entire system. Obviously the cable upgrades could have a significant impact on what you already have, but then if you take a look at your amplifiction idea, Changing from McIntosh amplification to either CH Precision or the Ayre combo will have a sonic impact far greater than messing with your power cables.

My advice here would be to start from square one and take a look at your speakers...upgrade, yes or no. Then move to your amplification and think about long term......would you be happy with the McIntosh you already have or would you down the road think you'd be happier with, say, a CH Precision based system?

My thinking here is to try and get off a constant upgrade train....even if you may spend a bit more up front now doing a CH Precision stack for example, it may save you upgrade money over the long term in case you change your mind again. To sum up, you can upgrade any of the paths you mention, but I would go for the more substantial upgrade now assuming you'll be happy with it long term and then build up the other pieces. IMO, going from the McIntosh components you have now to CH Precision would be a fairly substantial upgrade that would benefit your entire system, especially if you can do a matching preamplifier and amp.

- Buck

Thanks for the lengthy reply. At this moment, doing CH Precision preamp is a pretty good stretch, but not totally undoable. A separate CH Precision amp would have to come much later. If you’re familiar with their products, a more doable option, in the nearby, would be their I1 integrated. A little more than the preamp, but not a ton more.

Following the sequencing of your advice, after evaluating speakers, I would then move on to amplification whether it be Ayre or CH Precision decision. Would next be sources and then speaker cables and power related?
Old 09-24-2020, 10:08 PM
Go Dawgs

Yes, that’s the route I would go with the phono preamp being the first piece I would tackle....that being said I’m not familiar with the Rega....they make fine analog gear so you would have to decide how much you like it and what you’re willing to spend to get better. As far as cables go, you seem to already have excellent cabling with Nordost, Cardas etc.

Also, one more thing, you may want to think and read upon the phono cartridge, the Koetsus are known for their lush warm midrange but can be lacking in bass and dynamics.....I would just make sure its character Will complement the changes you’re going to make and not go the other way.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 09-24-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, that’s the route I would go with the phono preamp being the first piece I would tackle....that being said I’m not familiar with the Rega....they make fine analog gear so you would have to decide how much you like it and what you’re willing to spend to get better. As far as cables go, you seem to already have excellent cabling with Nordost, Cardas etc.

Also, one more thing, you may want to think and read upon the phono cartridge, the Koetsus are known for their lush warm midrange but can be lacking in bass and dynamics.....I would just make sure its character Will complement the changes you’re going to make and not go the other way.

- Buck

Are you saying phono preamp before or after amp/preamp? Or maybe more generally, sources before amplification?
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
Are you saying phono preamp before or after amp/preamp? Or maybe more generally, sources before amplification?
Unless you're not happy with your analog source, I would lean toward the amplification route myself.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:38 PM

I think Buck raises some excellent points. Start with the amp/preamp foundation you want to live with for the longer term, then look to sources. On the other hand if you come across the right deal for a source you’re confident is a long-term foundational piece, don’t pass it by.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I think Buck raises some excellent points. Start with the amp/preamp foundation you want to live with for the longer term, then look to sources. On the other hand if you come across the right deal for a source you’re confident is a long-term foundational piece, don’t pass it by.
I'm with Tony here as well.......the longer I've been in high end audio, the more I seemed to be on the upgrade train......the quicker you can get off that the better for not only your system but also for the pocketbook. I realize that not everyone can go out and plunk down the cash for your bucketlist speaker or amplifier, but like he said, if you can hold down a component that can become a foundation for your system LONG term, it may save more money in the long term to go for it and not look back!

- Buck
Old 09-25-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post

Thanks for your thoughts. I will look to upgrade my amp / preamp and then my music server/streamer, then phono preamp / cartridge, followed by upgrades to cables and power cords.

At this moment, I consider the turntable, speakers and DAC as pieces I am unlikely to change.

As fate would have it, I believe there is a good opportunity in the marketplace to upgrade the music server.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:23 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
I'm with Tony here as well.......the longer I've been in high end audio, the more I seemed to be on the upgrade train......the quicker you can get off that the better for not only your system but also for the pocketbook. I realize that not everyone can go out and plunk down the cash for your bucketlist speaker or amplifier, but like he said, if you can hold down a component that can become a foundation for your system LONG term, it may save more money in the long term to go for it and not look back!

- Buck
Absolutely. One example: I know that my Mac MC501s are keepers and not subject to upgrade. I knew that when I bought them. For me, it was about getting to the place where things were good enough that upgrading further was unnecessary. If I still want to upgrade, then perhaps something else in me is at work. I agree with the OP making upgrades incrementally, and deliberating over which ones wisely and carefully; you want to have long-term satisfaction, not become restless after a few years and look to spend more.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-28-2020, 11:13 AM

Where in the sequence do you consider racks and other vibration reducing accessories? After cables?