AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguniverse View Post
I recently purchased the Franco Serblin Ktema speakers. I am waiting to hear them. Some people think they look butt ugly, but I like the look, especially the sound.
I have long wanted to hear those. Congats on them!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 11-15-2017, 05:15 PM

AR3a (used)
Infinity Column III
M&K w/sub
Magnepan 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 20.7
Il Cremonese

My username should be changed although I do still have a Magnepan center and 1.7s in the rear. I was all Magnepan for awhile. After attending the Axpona shows and being exposed to all the great strides in speaker sound my wife and I realized that there was definitely better but also at a price. We went to this years show with the intent on moving to the next level. There were a number of options we considered. We actually jumped a few levels and bought the red finished Il Cremonese that were being used as show demos. Besides the fabulous sound my wife fell in love with the beautiful finish and design. I was also very impressed. (Let's face it, Maggies make great sound but aren't much to look at.) Besides their gorgeous looks they have a beautiful, rich tone. Their soundstage is wide and they are very detailed. I'm expecting these to stay with us for some time. Lilium? Aida? Never say never.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnut View Post
AR3a (used)
Infinity Column III
M&K w/sub
Magnepan 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 20.7
Il Cremonese

My username should be changed although I do still have a Magnepan center and 1.7s in the rear. I was all Magnepan for awhile. After attending the Axpona shows and being exposed to all the great strides in speaker sound my wife and I realized that there was definitely better but also at a price. We went to this years show with the intent on moving to the next level. There were a number of options we considered. We actually jumped a few levels and bought the red finished Il Cremonese that were being used as show demos. Besides the fabulous sound my wife fell in love with the beautiful finish and design. I was also very impressed. (Let's face it, Maggies make great sound but aren't much to look at.) Besides their gorgeous looks they have a beautiful, rich tone. Their soundstage is wide and they are very detailed. I'm expecting these to stay with us for some time. Lilium? Aida? Never say never.
Interesting you mention the wife, while traveling we came across a store that sold Sonus Faber (we don't have any close) and I showed her the different finishes of the Olypimpica and she said "yep"...those can be your next ones...
Old 02-23-2020, 04:31 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Easy... Cremona -> Elipsa
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 02-23-2020, 09:34 PM

This has been stroll down memory lane, thinking about all the speakers that I've owned since becoming a "serious" (hahaha) audiophile. . .

In mostly the correct order:

Infinity Kappa 5
Spica TC50
Acoustat 2+2
NHT 2.5
Magnepan 1.6QR
Spendor SP100 MKII
DIY Edgarhorn and Seismic horn subwoofer
KEF 207/2
KEF Blade 2
Sonus Faber Aida

The Aida are definitely keepers!

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!

Last edited by zettelsm; 02-23-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 AM
George

Interesting read.

Acoustat 2+2 ... could not afford the amp to drive them at the same time. My first loan, $5,000 for a Threshold amp... but by then the Acoustats were gone. 1980?

AMT 1D Loved the ribbons
Apogee Slant 8

I spent an tremendous amount of time auditioning, electrostatic and ribbon for a couple decades... but just never pulled the trigger. Finally about 10 years ago I took a complete turn being enchanted by the seamlessness across the spectrum and musical truth of some SF somewhere. And at the same time I started attending the symphony regularly (season tickets, 7th row center). I think this had a big influence on me. I stopped chasing that etherial magic. I think the symphony really grounded me in reality and changed what I was looking for.

I bought some used Cremonas as a test of my theory and as anticipated trade in. The intent was simply proof of concept. Within a couple weeks I ordered a pair of Olympica 3... waited for and received a pair from the first shipment to the US. They put me in the symphony hall of whatever recording I was listening to. In addition, they are beautiful, something that had never figured into the equation before.

I now have a pair of Amati Traditional on order. I will take the two subwoofers out of my system, uncluttering my audio system space. Very happy where I have ended up.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 09-24-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I now have a pair of Amati Traditional on order. I will take the two subwoofers out of my system, uncluttering my audio system space. Very happy where I have ended up.
Very nice George and I can see the evolution path you're taking here will, hopefully NOT influence me to go that route (jump from Olympica III to Amati line). That's going to require a significant jump in the associated gear as well to extract the most out of the Amati Tradition!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:02 AM
George

Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:08 AM

Cremona to Elipsa to Stradivari in Pennsylvania
I also have a Guarneri mementos with a matching factory homage finish on the a Cremona center channel for Florida.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:07 PM

For me, once I heard the SF sound, i never looked back
SF Grand Piano Domus
SF Cremona M
SF Amati Futura - currently...

ps, Hi Ivan. Bodiezaffa is back as Summit
Pre: Krell 202
DAC: MSB Analog Dac
Digital Audio Streamer: Auralic G2
Power Conditioner: Bryston BIT20
Cables: Wireworld Platinum, Gold & Silver
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra 5 and Isoacoustics Gaia