AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
The only thing I worry about with matching a non McIntosh HT amp with a McIntosh MXxxx processor is if the trigger connection to turn on the amp from the processor will work or if you need to manually turn on the HT amp. Not all HT amps will turn on with the trigger. I needed to purchase a McIntosh PC-4, which is hard to find, to trigger my non McIntosh HT amp from my MX121. Others here may have some better suggestions.
Yes, that is an issue with McIntosh's 5V trigger out to amps that need a 12V trigger in to turn them on.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 PM

Arrow DC trigger signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Yes, that is an issue with McIntosh's 5V trigger out to amps that need a 12V trigger in to turn them on.
Mornin' Michael ~ Are you saying that Mac gear is "triggered" off and on via a 5 VDC level? If so, I agree that Mac's triggering signal would create an issue with a (non-Mac) amp that requires higher DC voltage levels to be activated/driven to the On or Off state.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Love the older Krell amplifiication.....before I was able to afford any high end gear, I lusted after a pair of FPB 350MC amplifiers....I still think they look (and probably sound) excellent today.

You are 100% right about that.
I'v just turned down a lot of High-End equipment from recent years and landed safe in Krell FPB 350mc. Today it's still very hard to find something better. Music presentation is top class whatever you compare it to. Though it gets hot.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:18 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
I'v just turned down a lot of High-End equipment from recent years and landed safe in Krell FPB 350mc. Today it's still very hard to find something better. Music presentation is top class whatever you compare it to. Though it gets hot.
They're really beautiful amplifiers in that industrial way. One of the first high end systems I really ever spent time with was a pair of B&W Matrix 802s and a Krell KAV300i......they had another room with a FPB200 (I think) and a pair of Matrix 801s. Still remember that demo, it was great.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-20-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Apexorca..... I'm assuming that those are your Krell FBP 350MCs in the second photo? If they are, please inform the thread about why you invested in them? The idea of this thread is to learn about Krell power amps; hence, the questions.

Have a good one up there ~ Bill

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Ok 70sMac!
I start to quote myself from my post earlier in this thread.

When Dan still was the mighty king at Krell they were built as few other brands.
The pure technical part of old Krell is a story of its own. Any service technician I speak with about Krell just love them. They often spontaniously overwhelm me about the finess of these products. The are extraordinary produced and they are built to cope with the heat and long term use better then other products. Not completely without technical flaws, but they are strong.
What you think of the musical presentation is all about taste, but in general terms, many reviewers and musiclovers that are into HiFi like especially older Krell and maybe the products coming from the time of the FPB-series are the most liked Krell models.

I have been looking for new amps. Since the late 80s and 90s there were some great brands with "all in" mentality. The sound was everything. Sometime before 2010 I believen amps reached som kind of peak. It has been hard to find new developed amps as good as they were. The prices has been sky high because the mental price barrier has been broken. So the really good amps are now more expensive than ever. Some are very good. But there are also those who are not that good. Therefore I'v been a bit disappointed over the last years. I'v been to many Munich High-End shows, other shows and demos and many perfectly built system at peoples home. Here and there it has been old amps from the golden amp era. Often sounding very good. Therefor I opened my mind and moved my focus to alder amps and started to find out how they perform compared to newer amps.

I have been using Gryphon for some years and they are very good but lack some control when playing at volymes and dynamic like acoustic instruments live. Few amps can handle that and at the same time be delicate, nuanced and with great analogue texture as live instruments are.
Especially when I play tapes with R2R (that is a source that can deliver extreme dynamics compared to vinyl ore whatever digital media you try) it was a hole new test for the system. Krell can handle that with grace as you almost never hear it.
I have never compared Krell with Dan's new brand Dan d'Agostino side by side but it, but it should be the continuation.
I'v heard some brands that are good as well but at 10 times more expensive than what you could by used Krell FPB for.
I saw a pair of 350Mc that were slightly modified and very well serviced. I just bought them out of pure curiosity. When I listened to them vs. Gryphon I was actually a bit chocked. That was when my interest for old amps really started. I had never thought they would be better in any aspect. But they were...
If some service is made they will work well for quite some time and sound fabulous.

I have also owned amps from Krell Evolution-serie. They are also good but I like the FPB-sound more. It's more fun to listen to FPB. Evo is powerfull but the sound is a bit to dry and grayish due to mys taste.

I also heard older big amps from Mark Levinson No:33 H Monos 150 watt that are great. It's just one example of many.
But almost no one can compare to Krell ingeneral and Krell FPB. Let's look at the stereo amp fpb 400cx. It's at least 400 watt-8Ohm, 800watt-4Ohm, 1600watt-2Ohm (for real). So then the reproduced music is close to live music with acoustic instrument almost nothing can get close.

Dan d'Agostino never wanted the amp to use more than 10% of it's power when playing really loud. That's headroom...

There is more to say about this but I hope you get the point.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:14 PM

Smile Go right ahead!

Quote:

Ok 70sMac!

I start to quote myself from my post earlier in this thread.

When Dan still was the mighty king at Krell they were built as few other brands.
The pure technical part of old Krell is a story of its own. Any service technician I speak with about Krell just love them. They often spontaniously overwhelm me about the finess of these products. The are extraordinary produced and they are built to cope with the heat and long term use better then other products. Not completely without technical flaws, but they are strong.
What you think of the musical presentation is all about taste, but in general terms, many reviewers and musiclovers that are into HiFi like especially older Krell and maybe the products coming from the time of the FPB-series are the most liked Krell models.

I have been looking for new amps. Since the late 80s and 90s there were some great brands with "all in" mentality. The sound was everything. Sometime before 2010 I believen amps reached som kind of peak. It has been hard to find new developed amps as good as they were. The prices has been sky high because the mental price barrier has been broken. So the really good amps are now more expensive than ever. Some are very good. But there are also those who are not that good. Therefore I'v been a bit disappointed over the last years. I'v been to many Munich High-End shows, other shows and demos and many perfectly built system at peoples home. Here and there it has been old amps from the golden amp era. Often sounding very good. Therefor I opened my mind and moved my focus to alder amps and started to find out how they perform compared to newer amps.

I have been using Gryphon for some years and they are very good but lack some control when playing at volymes and dynamic like acoustic instruments live. Few amps can handle that and at the same time be delicate, nuanced and with great analogue texture as live instruments are.
Especially when I play tapes with R2R (that is a source that can deliver extreme dynamics compared to vinyl ore whatever digital media you try) it was a hole new test for the system. Krell can handle that with grace as you almost never hear it.
I have never compared Krell with Dan's new brand Dan d'Agostino side by side but it, but it should be the continuation.
I'v heard some brands that are good as well but at 10 times more expensive than what you could by used Krell FPB for.
I saw a pair of 350Mc that were slightly modified and very well serviced. I just bought them out of pure curiosity. When I listened to them vs. Gryphon I was actually a bit chocked. That was when my interest for old amps really started. I had never thought they would be better in any aspect. But they were...
If some service is made they will work well for quite some time and sound fabulous.

I have also owned amps from Krell Evolution-serie. They are also good but I like the FPB-sound more. It's more fun to listen to FPB. Evo is powerfull but the sound is a bit to dry and grayish due to mys taste.

I also heard older big amps from Mark Levinson No:33 H Monos 150 watt that are great. It's just one example of many.
But almost no one can compare to Krell ingeneral and Krell FPB. Let's look at the stereo amp fpb 400cx. It's at least 400 watt-8Ohm, 800watt-4Ohm, 1600watt-2Ohm (for real). So then the reproduced music is close to live music with acoustic instrument almost nothing can get close.

Dan d'Agostino never wanted the amp to use more than 10% of it's power when playing really loud. That's headroom...

There is more to say about this but I hope you get the point.

if you're willing to write a post like that, Apexorca, feel free to repeat as much as you like.

Very nice explanation about why you prefer the older Krell amps to newer, more expensive amplifiers. I definitely get your point loud and clear.