AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 09-16-2020, 10:48 PM

I have had it for several years now and I still love it. The firmware upgrades have each raised the bar and at no additional cost to end users. It did need a good long burn in but it is still wonderful out of the box.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM

Default PS Audio DirectStream DAC

Sorry to read that the latest software upgrade Sunlight will be the LAST one!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM

Last edited by John49; 05-04-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Racing Hoopties

We can all guess why.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 05-04-2021, 08:55 PM

I have owned the DirectStream DAC since 2014. It has had a much better run than my other DACs already. My XDS1 had one firmware update after I got it. The Playback Designs had 2 or 3 - one of which was a bug fix and these cost way more than the PS Audio.

I think the last one was supposed to be 3 firmwares ago from memory. But Ted (while working on the next gen) found a lot of the improvements he made were also applicable on the new ones, so kudos to PS Audio
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 PM

I just re-read the press release on Sunshine. I saw no mention of this being the final release for the DAC. That would be a shame if it is done.

Last edited by longbowbbs; 05-04-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added more.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
I just re-read the press release on Sunshine. I saw no mention of this being the final release for the DAC. That would be a shame if it is done.
Copied from direct email advertisement

“ Windom was our last major upgrade and now, Sunlight is the latest (and last) in the series. To learn more about the Sunlight free upgrade, you can go here.

Sunlight is, as I mentioned, the last in DirectStream’s nearly seven-year history. This, of course, means there’s a new DS peeking its head over the distant horizon sometime late this year.”

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 PM

The release I received did not have that text in it.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:17 PM

On the PS Audio forum they have stated for a while this is the last upgrade for the DS. I installed it a couple of days and am stunned. The sound from top to bottom is much improved along with a lower noise floor and wider soundstage. Kudos to Ted for pulling yet another rabbit out of his hat!
Bryston 28B Cubed Monoblock amps with Sound Anchor stands, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryston SP3 Processor, JL Audio CR-1 Sub Crossover, PS Audio P15 with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bricasti M-21 Platinum DAC, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, Aurender N10 music server/streamer with Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Nordstrom Heimdall 2 Ethernet cable and RevOpod footers, TAD CR-1(mains) with Stillpoint Ultra SS, Bryson 9B3 Surround Amplifier, Sonus Faber Cremona M (center), Diva Swans (surrounds), (2) JL Audio F113 subs with RevOpod footers and granite bases, Oppo 95, Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum interconnects and Wireworld Silver and Platinum Electra 7 power cables, Furutech Flux 50 in-line power filters, (6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, Shunyata outlets, Nordost QRT QKORE3 and QKORE6 Grounding Units, ADD-Pwr Sorcer X4 and various GK Acoustics acoustic panels.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Racing Hoopties

Wasn’t there a rumor that Ted was working on an ‘ultimate’ level DAC?

I would expect that to be the reason for no more updates to the DS.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 05-05-2021, 08:43 PM

Ted's doing both a DS Mk II and his two box TSS. The Mk II will come first later in the year. A few months ago he provided direction and a parts list to upgrade the transformers to a higher level for those that wanted to in the original DS. Supposed to result in a big improvement for about $100 in parts from Edcor.