AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 09-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Very much reminds me of the debate of “analog vs digital” among the audiophiles and both camps have their valid points. The Hollywood “digital vs film” debate also has valid points with both camps. Here is a good video on the topic with the focus on the message the media itself can impart.

The film qualities or shortcomings transcend the technical and become the romantic, nostalgic, familiar or perhaps even connect on the more subconscious level than we realize. Can digital achieve the same?

https://youtu.be/jv7y7TbHlQM

Last edited by PHC1; 09-10-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:14 PM

I like the whole Tarantino quote:

"If I can't shoot on film I'll stop making movies," ........He added, "If we're acquiescing to digital projection, we've already ceded too much ground to the barbarians. The fight is lost if all we have is digital, DCP presentations. To me, that's just television in public."

And in the Vox article you could replace “film” with “vinyl” and create the audio analog to the film vs digital video debate.

Turning back around to the main topic of the thread, I have never seen an LCD TV from any manufacturer with a picture I liked.

Whereas I really like CRT, OLED and plasma displays.

The raw performance of the medium does not tell the whole story.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-10-2020, 06:54 PM

The worst culprit that Tarantino describes must be the new 60/120fps format for movies.

I was watching Gemini Man in UHD60 and OMG it was terrible.

I had watched the FullHD24 version previously and was drawn in to the movie’s special effects.

With 60fps, you could tell the explosion was just a smoke bomb. [emoji2357]you could also see the deliberate choreography of when the actor moved to position. These don’t appear that obvious when you watched in 24fps.

Impressive detail up close though.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:19 PM

For sure part of the cinema experience is based on the 24 FPS flicker.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-12-2020, 12:25 AM

I’m in the market for an Oled/Qled TV. Is the LG CX the preferred TV? Any issues with burn in?

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
I’m in the market for an Oled/Qled TV. Is the LG CX the preferred TV? Any issues with burn in?
Absolutely...........after years of being a loyal Sony user I decided to purchase a LG OLED 55C6P a few years ago. Burn-in is pretty bad if you use as an everyday TV. News Banner on bottom, center people ghosting, and 4:3 shadow. My neighbor also has the same TV with even worse burn-in. Mostly in the Red color channel.

I love the TV quality but not a happy camper...........

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-12-2020, 05:12 AM

I have the LG OLED 65C7V now for a few years, no burn in issues at all, great picture quality.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:04 AM

I have an LG 77CX and have no problem with burn-in. The CX models came out in late 2019. The C6 is a 2016 model, C7 is a 2017, and so forth. CX is the 2020 model.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:49 AM

Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs
Updated Nov 15, 2019 at 03:41 pm
By Daniel O'Keeffe

OLED TVs have great picture quality, however, there are concerns about their long-term performance due to the possibility of permanent image retention, commonly referred to as burn-in.

Our previous 20 hours per day burn-in test is still running and the OLED TV already has permanent retention. That test is an extreme case, using patterns with a lot of static content.

Based on your feedback and comments, we have bought 6 LG OLED C7 which will play real, non-altered content. This should give you a better idea on what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-12-2020, 09:05 AM

My TV is on most of the day when I'm at work..............for my dogs enjoyment, and have 16,218 hours on it. News channels are frequently on as some 4:3 content.

I believe this burn-in issue is dependant on the watched content and for how long. I personally don't want a TV I have to baby though.