AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 08-22-2020, 05:38 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltomare View Post
Thanks!
The unit I bought reduced the hum but didn't completely remove it. I'm looking at isolation transformers now.
If there's a cable TV connection to your setup, then a product such as ISO-MAX VRD-1FF could work. Viewsonics makes a similar device, the VSIS-EU.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/vrd-1ff/

http://www.broadbandamps.com/Product...ndIsolator.htm
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-23-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
If there's a cable TV connection to your setup, then a product such as ISO-MAX VRD-1FF could work. Viewsonics makes a similar device, the VSIS-EU.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/vrd-1ff/

http://www.broadbandamps.com/Product...ndIsolator.htm
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have cable or TV connected to this system. It is a desktop system with Schiit, REL and KEF LS50 components. The hum I'm getting is very brief and only occurs when the A/C or other high current appliances kick on. My home is older and the electrical system is shit, just looking for a band-aid until I can rewire the house. Strange thing is my other systems with McIntosh and Accuphase components don't have this problem.
Home Gym: KEF LS50W-II

Office: ZuAudio Dirty Weekend, BluSound Powernode, Schiit Mani, Fluance RT85, REL T/5i
Old 08-23-2020, 05:31 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have cable or TV connected to this system. It is a desktop system with Schiit, REL and KEF LS50 components. The hum I'm getting is very brief and only occurs when the A/C or other high current appliances kick on. My home is older and the electrical system is shit, just looking for a band-aid until I can rewire the house. Strange thing is my other systems with McIntosh and Accuphase components don't have this problem.
If the other systems are on the same line as your air conditioner, then I'd look at isolation transformers or voltage regulators on that smaller system for sure. Since there's no hum when the A/C compressor isn't running, then it's the culprit, plus the smaller system components are more susceptible to the voltage fluctuations/line noise the A/C introduces. At the very least, it sounds as if you need something that filters line noise, which the A/C compressor seems to introduce.

Since I brouht up the Furman before, here's a brochure on it. See if something like this would suit you or provide any useful info as you investigate your options.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pdf_SPR-20I_datasheet.pdf (1.28 MB, 2 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-23-2020, 12:26 PM

I think I'm on the right track, just got to find the right device. The Furman seems like it would do the trick, it's just twice the price of the amp. I may give Schitt a call to see what they have to say. Thanks for your help.

Office: ZuAudio Dirty Weekend, BluSound Powernode, Schiit Mani, Fluance RT85, REL T/5i
Old 08-23-2020, 02:09 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
I think I'm on the right track, just got to find the right device. The Furman seems like it would do the trick, it's just twice the price of the amp. I may give Schitt a call to see what they have to say. Thanks for your help.
I think you are as well. There is another voltage regulator that Tripplite makes, which is much more basic should you decide on a regulator. It doesn't do as much as the Furman, but it covers the basics. I had one for a while, and it served me well. And it costs much less than the Furman, less than $400 in most places. https://www.tripplite.com/2400w-120v...utlets~LCR2400

Tripplite also makes isolation transformers, the top model of which is $600–$700, depending on where you get it.
https://www.tripplite.com/main/searc...lator%20series
Old 08-23-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I think you are as well. There is another voltage regulator that Tripplite makes, which is much more basic should you decide on a regulator. It doesn't do as much as the Furman, but it covers the basics. I had one for a while, and it served me well. And it costs much less than the Furman, less than $400 in most places. https://www.tripplite.com/2400w-120v...utlets~LCR2400

Tripplite also makes isolation transformers, the top model of which is $600–$700, depending on where you get it.
https://www.tripplite.com/main/searc...lator%20series
I found my problem, I'm an idiot....I've been focused on fixing power to the amp and realized today that I did not connect the Schiit Preamp and DAC to UPS I just bought. This UPS uses double conversion topology which always provides power from the battery to its output. I could not understand why I was still getting this hum when the A/C kicked on. I was preparing to send the UPS back and noticed the Pre and DAC were only connected to a separate power conditioner I have. Once I connected them to the UPS the brief hum disappeared. It seems my problem is solved, thanks so much for helping me sort this out.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:16 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
I found my problem, I'm an idiot....I've been focused on fixing power to the amp and realized today that I did not connect the Schiit Preamp and DAC to UPS I just bought. This UPS uses double conversion topology which always provides power from the battery to its output. I could not understand why I was still getting this hum when the A/C kicked on. I was preparing to send the UPS back and noticed the Pre and DAC were only connected to a separate power conditioner I have. Once I connected them to the UPS the brief hum disappeared. It seems my problem is solved, thanks so much for helping me sort this out.
Sometimes the most basic stuff is the easiest to overlook. Glad you found the problem.