AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 01-31-2020, 06:37 PM
Retired

Default Any 300B Amp Users?

Anyone here using a 300B power amp? Am jonesing to give one a try after how well my 20wpc EL34 triode Class A amp sounds. I was quite fond of my CAD-572SE SET monoblocks that also made 20wpc, but could not afford to keep them running with tubes that ran <1000hr and cost ~$300/each.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-01-2020, 06:07 AM

I used to use a 211-based amplifier, but found a 300B amplifier has sufficient power to drive my speakers (I chose my 300B amplifier as it was designed specifically to mate with my speakers of the same brand); even using a linestage with no gain provides sufficient volume.

I think the 300B is a specialty amplifier as it is not likely to work with many speakers, perhaps only speakers in the 94 dB or greater range and an actual flat 8 ohms or higher. Pairing with less efficient speakers might be a setup for disappointment (any speaker with a minimum rating of greater than single digit watts is probably a no-go; my speaker minimum is 3 watts).

Getting a perfect match of speakers to the 300B amplifier results in purity of sound that may have few rivals and it plays plenty loud in smaller rooms.

Search "SET friendly speakers" or similar terms for a listing of the brands users have found work well with 300B amplifiers and maybe those that definitely do not work well.

Good luck in your search; the 300B amplifier has transformed my listening experiences (a nice, simple circuit that in my mind retains more of the original signal than higher-powered amplifiers with their more complex circuits) and barely uses 1 watt of power most of the time, probably fractions of 1 watt.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Member of the Music Squad

From time to time I hook up my Audion Silver Night pre & power amp (with Psavane 300B) 2x8W Class A driving with ease my Sonus Faber Elipsas rated at 91dB.

Addictive sweet sound
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 05-12-2020, 04:47 PM

I had a 300B by Viva. I bought all the electronics from a friend who passed away and that was part of the package.

Played it on Khorns. Sounded fine & dandy but I liked more power.

I also had a pair of Transcendent SE-OTL (single ended OTL amps) and THOSE got the win award for the sound but again, they were bridged to 4 watts each amp and that wasn't enough power for me (for the Khorns)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:49 AM
George

I have a Woo WA 5 - LE headphone amp. I am enjoying it very much. I love the sound of tube amps but always shied away for my main system because of the heat, reliability, and cost. However, since I realized setting up a high end headphone station in a different location at home would allow me to enjoy music when not optimal to use my main system. I have an incredibly quiet listening area (underground on three sides, large, asymmetrical), but during the summer and winter the heat pump comes on. It is very quiet... but still, I am used to dead silence. So, the headphone station in the library / fireplace area is perfect. With advances in headphones... it is really a satisfying system.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:24 AM

I am using Halgorythme 300B monoblocks with 300B WE tubes.
IMG_5001.JPG
Old 07-25-2020, 08:35 PM

I have a 300B in my Lampizator Pacific DAC!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:07 PM

Shindo WE 300b amp into Shindo Latours speakers.