AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 02-28-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Which Tellurium Q did you try?

I really like the Black range. Silver was pricier but the Black really worked - especially with solid state gear
Black Diamond. It has been one of my preferred cables for many years. Quite by chance, I tried the Accusound and it worked better with my gear.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 PM

I had the pleasure of spending some time listening to Greg's most recent configuration of audio equipment earlier this week. I will start by saying, that I did not expect what I heard from these speakers. The gentleman who Greg bought them from, had told me quite a while back that he didn't think I would like them. If I just listened to them very briefly, and in a room with equipment, that was not as dialed in as Greg's set up, he may have been correct.
My initial impression might have been, ok, maybe a little laid back in presentation for me. As I listened, and my ears adjusted to to the different interpretation of their reproduction of sound, I found myself getting, more, and more pulled into the music. That's the only way I can describe it, I felt them opening a door, and inviting me to hear the story within the music. I was hearing more layers, to music I thought I knew very well. Without shouting it at you, they pick apart individual musicians, and instruments, and place them so clearly within the soundstage, and with a sense of separation that was uncanny.
The integration between drivers was truly amazing. A coherence in sound that just forced a smile to you face. They just sounded "right", they just made music. They made it hard to stop listening. They have haunted me since last Wednesday evening!
They are one of the most "enjoyable" sets of speakers that I have heard. As much as I love my Strads, I will have a pair of these in my living room soon, to demo. I just have to do a comparison.
I'm going to go out on a hazardous limb here, and say that I would not be surprised if these take Greg off the audio gear 'merry go round" for quite some time to come. We can only hope!
Thank you again Greg for your hospitality, and I'm very excited for you!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Rob - thanks for the kind words. It is always a pleasure to have you visit!

I am glad that you have been able to affirm what I and many Harbeth owners have experienced.

Here's to hoping your in-home demo provides you with much enjoyment!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 08-30-2019, 01:17 AM

Very nice, I've had my SHL5s for 8 years now, the 40.2 seems like the perfect upgrade path. Now to find a dealer for an in home demo.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:21 AM

Hello there
I have harbeth 40.2 and audio research 160. Do you connect the speakers with 4, 8 or 16 ohms?
Regards
Old 04-07-2020, 11:37 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Haucs... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-03-2020, 08:11 PM

Would you like to hear the opinion of someone who plays the Harbeth with Accuphase, would 50watts be enough for a 40.2?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascimento View Post
Would you like to hear the opinion of someone who plays the Harbeth with Accuphase, would 50watts be enough for a 40.2?

I cannot answer really your question but just give hints.
The best amp I had to drive the 40.1 was the Nagra MSA. Only 60W per channel. But the Air Tight ATM1s which is only 35W also gave great results.
On the opposite, the Shindo CCQs gave too much bass. 70W in class A. The Harbeth can reproduce very low frequencies if the amps goes very low with lots of energy. In this case, the CCQs were just allowing the 40.1 to overload the room.
So my final advice would be first to consider the room. Accuphase class A power gives plenty of bass. I have an A65. So of course, a 50W class A Accuphase will be enough to drive the 40.2. I have no doubt about it. The question is just “will your room be able to accept the bass reproduced” ?
Old 09-14-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascimento View Post

Unless you are in a very large room or listen to music at ear-bleeding levels, you will be fine. For the short time I had my E-800, it drove my 40.2 speakers with ease.