AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I spent 33 yrs. in military electronics and have often found my thoughts and preconceived notions in conflict with the real world of audio electronics. I'm well aware of the costs of designing and manufacturing such devices. Companies are constantly pressured to come up with better product for a lower price to reach a broader market and stay in business. These preamps should be judged by the end result, sound quality.

I would love to own both these preamps. A used 335 amp was traded in at my dealer's shop. I owned this amp years ago and still think it the best I've owned, it destroyed some of the latest offerings from Pass. ML's newest amps sound wonderful but I don't think they can afford to build another design as lavish as the 335.
Sound quality is in the end the most important tdelahanty.
However if someone came with the best sounding amp based on s single transistor and a simple supply, I would hesitate to put 10k down for it.
I sometimes have that with Pass designs.
So then the electronic geek in me wins. Luckily this has not yet happened.

(I also worked in military electronics for 8 years, learned a lot there about quality and reliability)

Last edited by AudioIdiot; 12-30-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioIdiot View Post
Sound quality is in the end the most important tdelahanty.
However if someone came with the best sounding amp based on s single transistor and a simple supply, I would hesitate to put 10k down for it.
I sometimes have that with Pass designs.
So then the electronic geek in me wins. Luckily this has not yet happened.

(I also worked in military electronics for 8 years, learned a lot there about quality and reliability)
The electronic geek in me always wins-out too. Reliability and horrible point to point wiring always discourages me from purchasing tube gear. Back in the 70's I had to repair every piece of AR tube gear I purchased. The CAT preamp sounds wonderful and is very reliable, the power-amps not so much. I've worked on a few. Ken Stevens (in my opinion) seems to choose sound quality over reliability, not so with military gear.

Any way I talk too much, suffice it to say I don't like my work (test/t-shoot) to intrude in my audio hobby.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
The electronic geek in me always wins-out too. Reliability and horrible point to point wiring always discourages me from purchasing tube gear. Back in the 70's I had to repair every piece of AR tube gear I purchased. The CAT preamp sounds wonderful and is very reliable, the power-amps not so much. I've worked on a few. Ken Stevens (in my opinion) seems to choose sound quality over reliability, not so with military gear.

Any way I talk too much, suffice it to say I don't like my work (test/t-shoot) to intrude in my audio hobby.
I don't know the CAT equipment very well. Tube gear can be reliable, until a tube gives up. I have a tube pre amp now. A Copland CTA-305. Sounds absolutely great especially for the money. Is unbalanced though. Measures very good as well. But I still think my best update starts here.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 PM

Ow I use a Lundahl transformer to go from my balanced Meridian Ultra DAC to the Copland Pre
Old 05-07-2020, 03:23 PM

AudioIdiot: Your expressed preconceived biases mirror my own exactly. I own a 32 preamp and have attempted to replace it but always find it still sounds better and has superior functionality and build quality. The latest attempt to replace it was with an Accuphase C-2850 with the phono option. The 20 year older levinson design sounded clearly better to me and the Accuphase functionality wasn't even close.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:28 PM

I'm considering an ML52. I notice the phono gain on both the 32 and the 52 is only 60db max. I'm surprised it isn't more.

Has anyone used a MC cartridge with a gain of .3 or lower with either pre amp? 60db is right on the borderline.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:08 PM

You need a SUT for sure , Unless you like your music very low .