AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 08-22-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Mike, the 212SEs are great subs...I have a pair and Jim (Weirdcuba) has a pair as well. They are excellent in a stereo setting.....pretty sure you'll be thrilled!

- Buck

Really looking forward to getting them carried upstairs. I need to wait for my buddy to help me out next week while my wife is out of town. I want them to "just appear" and not have the giant boxes disrupt the house....

Any suggestions or helpful setting help to have them blend with my B&W 802D3 speakers?

Thank you!

Michael
Old 08-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Go Dawgs

Mike - couple of suggestions I would keep in mid when dialing them in....main thing to remember is with subwoofers, your room is totally different than ours, so a couple of general concepts will be better to keep in mind than actual "directions"! The first is try and get them as close to your left and right mains as possible. I have mine placed on the inside of my mains. My previous REL Britannias seemed to work a bit better on the outside. This placement may offer the closest integration to your mains rather then just stuffing them in the corners of the room to augment output. The second suggestion that REL recommends is volume higher, crossover lower. Many people make the mistake of adjusting the REL crossover too high to compensate for lower volume. With REL subs, it's a better blend to lower the crossover and then adjust the volume higher if needed. Every REL sub I've owned I usually have the crossover between 25 and 32 Hz. This allows the bass to more fully integrate with your mains without having too much "higher bass" that can sound muddy and not blended. I think those two recommendations are the first two steps to get you started!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-23-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Mike - couple of suggestions I would keep in mid when dialing them in....main thing to remember is with subwoofers, your room is totally different than ours, so a couple of general concepts will be better to keep in mind than actual "directions"! The first is try and get them as close to your left and right mains as possible. I have mine placed on the inside of my mains. My previous REL Britannias seemed to work a bit better on the outside. This placement may offer the closest integration to your mains rather then just stuffing them in the corners of the room to augment output. The second suggestion that REL recommends is volume higher, crossover lower. Many people make the mistake of adjusting the REL crossover too high to compensate for lower volume. With REL subs, it's a better blend to lower the crossover and then adjust the volume higher if needed. Every REL sub I've owned I usually have the crossover between 25 and 32 Hz. This allows the bass to more fully integrate with your mains without having too much "higher bass" that can sound muddy and not blended. I think those two recommendations are the first two steps to get you started!

- Buck
Great advice!!!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:14 PM

Agree and I will do that on Wednesday. My subs will be right next to my mains, maybe a few inches back..
Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 PM
Go Dawgs

Mike - sounds good. Remember, The subs next to your mains is the starting point. Don't compromise their performance by MAKING them stay there if your room doesn't allow. As long as you have the room, try moving them around each main speaker and see what works best, either beside or inside. Definitely moving a bit forward and back also.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-23-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike175gr View Post
Agree and I will do that on Wednesday. My subs will be right next to my mains, maybe a few inches back..
Worked great for me when I had both 1 and later 2 REL B1 Britannia years ago...
Old 11-04-2020, 01:30 AM

Really enjoying my REL 212SE subs. It took a while for them to fully charge up the electronics and for me to dial them in. They are very subtle when the music program is light on low frequency material, and then come to life very delicately when the music calls for it and when there is a deep low frequency sound track - WOW! I do really enjoy how they "round out" the sound and fill in areas where it was lacking previously.

I am very happy that I purchased these subs. Now everything is filling in and just sounds amazing.