AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-16-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
exactly, I suspect the Op's 'guy' @ Magnolia was probably selling washing machines the week prior ...............
Not defending magnolia or any particular employee there - but he was quite credible around other things and knowledegable about both the products and implementation...which is why found his feedback so surprising and wanted to ask about it on the forum.

I dont know if this sort of thing is subjective (and potentially individual equipment upgrade experiences bias one’s view) - or if they are just flat out wrong...of course, if the latter it does make me wonder what other poor advice I may be getting from them!

If i were go to with the 800’s, first, do folks feel a c1100 and 611 combo would effectively drive them until going to something like mc1.25’s?

I wouldnt be blasting for prolonged periods but would like the ability to have some thump (when music calls for it) and would still like great clarity, separation, and soundstage...music would be primarily classic rock/pop type stuff with a bit if classical and jazz thrown in.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:57 PM

Why do you think you would ever need more than 611s to drive 800D3s with plenty of headroom to spare?
Old 03-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
Why do you think you would ever need more than 611s to drive 800D3s with plenty of headroom to spare?
exactly and if 'your guy' @ Magnolia is telling otherwise he's not as wise as you think !!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post

Agree. 611s, C1100 & 800D3s would be a great combination.
Paradigm: Persona 7F, C5v3, ADP3,
JL Audio: F113v2, CR-1,
Shunyata: Everest, Denali 6000/Sv2, Altera
Shunyata and WW: PCs, SCs and ICs.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
If i were go to with the 800’s, first, do folks feel a c1100 and 611 combo would effectively drive them until going to something like mc1.25’s?
The MC462 would also be enough amp unless you have an unusually large listening space.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-16-2019, 03:00 PM

It sure sounds like music to me in my 30x26 room with way less than 100w from my tube amp and not so efficient but tube friendly impedance wise speakers. With my class A solid state amp I barely get to turn the volume dial past first 1/4 turn. With max peaks reaching 92-95dB to preserve my hearing a bit longer, even the 35W of pure triode bliss is plenty.

It’s not about the power unless you are trying to recreate rock concert levels but the well designed and robust power supplies that can supply the transient peaks certain music genres of music demand without sagging and quality of those first few watts that matter the most when listening at normal levels. “Normal levels” vary for each individual setup and listener preference.

Having said that, you need to double your power to reach 3dB more and 10x the power to go twice as loud or 10dB which is what most people perceive as twice as loud.

The most important factor is to know if your particular speaker benefits from power or is current hungry. B&W are a tough load. Without getting technical, they do suck up plenty of juice but any McIntosh amp from the 452 and up is more than plenty.

Last edited by PHC1; 03-16-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
exactly and if 'your guy' @ Magnolia is telling otherwise he's not as wise as you think !!
What makes you think i think he is wise...

I feel you are reading too much into the reference as ‘my’ guy / i quoted it, originally, because i would like whoever is advising me to be ‘my’ guy (ie have ‘my’ best interest at heart)...

Because I worried he may not, I posted here - I already suspected he was not ‘wise’.

I was thinking potentially of ending up with mc1.25’s because I have often seen them when in combination with the 800 speakers.

I would be interested in learning more about why they would not be necessary and/or under what circumstances stepping up to them from 611’s would be worth it.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It sure sounds like music to me in my 30x26 room with way less than 100w from my tube amp and not so efficient but tube friendly impedance wise speakers. With my class A solid state amp I barely get to turn the volume dial past first 1/4 turn. With max peaks reaching 92-95dB to preserve my hearing a bit longer, even the 35W of pure triode bliss is plenty.

It’s not about the power unless you are trying to recreate rock concert levels but the well designed and robust power supplies that can supply the transient peaks certain music genres of music demand without sagging and quality of those first few watts that matter the most when listening at normal levels. “Normal levels” vary for each individual setup and listener preference.

Having said that, you need to double your power to reach 3dB more and 10x the power to go twice as loud or 10dB which is what most people perceive as twice as loud.

The most important factor is to know if your particular speaker benefits from power or is current hungry. B&W are a tough load. Without getting technical, they do suck up plenty of juice but any McIntosh amp from the 452 and up is more than plenty.
Thanks! This is helpful and good to hear!!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
he was quite credible around other things and knowledegable about both the products and implementation....
Quote:
What makes you think i think he is wise...
Thanks
note your quote above, I translate knowledge into wisdom.............

Regardless, do what you want but the 'wise' money says pick your speakers to suit your listening tastes and the environment they will be used in, then power them accordingly ...........
Old 03-16-2019, 06:02 PM

B&W 800 D3s are fairly efficient speakers (90DB) - not, say, 85DB or less, where a 1.25KW might make more sense. B&W shows recommended power of 50 - 500 watts. The 3 ohms minimum impedance is an indication that they don't want a wimpy amp that can't supply sufficient peak current (PHC1's comment above). But a 462 or 611s should be plenty. If it was my money, I'd be looking toward a 462 and spending the savings on a better pre, source components, and/or cable/conditioning. If you're in doubt, why not ask for a demo/trial after you buy your speakers? (Probably a good idea anyway!)