AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Will do. 5 years ago I had started to rip my CD collection in ALAC format since at the time I was planning to use iTune and not long after JRiver. But to my surprise after I installed Roon this week, I noticed that those CD I had ripped are actually in mp3 320 kb format

Funny thing in this is, I will also be able to compare both the mp3 to AIFF of the same CD, on both the CCA and BDP-2. Fun times ahead. I have a friend coming this weekend for lunch and we will spend some time listening.

And today, I won an auction on that big auction site for a Kimber Kable Select KS2416 USB (Don't tell my wife! ). I learned in the manual that with the BDA-3, DSD is available only with the USB input. I felt it was pointless to invest in a good XLR or SPDIF cable because of this. All my cable, except the powers, are Kimber Select Copper. I plan to download some DSD (more difficult here in Canada) to benefit from my DAC and BDP.
Don'r waste your time with this comparison. This has been done already more times than I can tell you. The fact is, the uncompressed PCM files will always sound better than any MP3 or ALAC. The only way to import is .aiff or .wav as both are uncompressed PCM. I think .aiff is better as you can get cover art. All of these formats are free using iTunes and I have 1 gig of music to prove it. If it were me, I would import all my music on a hard drive using iTunes .aiff.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Don'r waste your time with this comparison. This has been done already more times than I can tell you. The fact is, the uncompressed PCM files will always sound better than any MP3 or ALAC. The only way to import is .aiff or .wav as both are uncompressed PCM. I think .aiff is better as you can get cover art. All of these formats are free using iTunes and I have 1 gig of music to prove it. If it were me, I would import all my music on a hard drive using iTunes .aiff.
As John suggested me I decided to rip my CDs in AIFF format as I didn't want to have any form of compression. I find there are some advantages for AIFF over other format since as you said, you get the metadata while in WAV you don't. Plus AIFF is Apple so you can comptability with iTunes and all Apple hardware. I understand your point that it has been well covered but I like to experience things myself just to hear the difference. For sure I don't plan to do this an extended period of time, but just for testing.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Hi Folks,

If you use a CD ripping program like DBPOWERAMP metadata is not a problem with WAVE files.

Also DBPOWERAMP has a 'CD Accurate' feature that insures you are getting an exact copy of the CD.

Also Wave is an open source format like Flac.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 03-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:29 AM

After ripping CD's, I always import them into I-Tunes just to be able to create a list as a pdf.
All files are on an external HD with one folder for dbpower amp rips and another for downloads. These are backed up to another external HD and then transferred to the SSD in the BDP-3.

The Bryston media app works well but if the imported file is labeled as "The Beatles," it will appear under T not B. I Tunes gives an option to ignore "The" in band titles. Also, keep band titles consistent; the Bryston app is case sensitive. lt sees the word "and" and the symbol "&" as different. Not a big deal as metadata is easy to change. There may well be a preference setting in the app to avoid this I missed.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Folks,

If you use a CD ripping program like DBPOWERAMP metadata is not a problem with WAVE files.

Also DBPOWERAMP has a 'CD Accurate' feature that insures you are getting an exact copy of the CD.

Also Wave is an open source format like Flac.

james
Thanks James to point that out. Are there any advantage of WAV over AIFF files? One is Apple proprietary and the other one is open am I right? In term of sound quality, are there any advantages of one over the other since both are uncompressed?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Thanks James to point that out. Are there any advantage of WAV over AIFF files? One is Apple proprietary and the other one is open am I right? In term of sound quality, are there any advantages of one over the other since both are uncompressed?
Hi

No advantage from a performance standpoint I am aware of.

Remember that most DACs have an internal buffer than stores the digital file so how that file gets there and in what uncompressed format may not be a factor.

Also a compressed format like Flac or Apple Lossless contains all the information of a non compressed file - it’s just more taxing on the digital player to process.

James

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 03-10-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 PM

Well, it's been a few weeks now that I actually have my BDP-2 so I think I am in a better position to give my opinion about its sound compared to the Chromecast Audio.

Let's get this straight first. As expected, the CCA as good as it is for its asking price, simply cannot match the BDP-2, well, except price. We all know that. Question is, how much of a difference it makes? I am no reviewer so I will refrein from using all those audiophile terminologies. What I can say is that the difference is something like between a entry level CD player versus a high end CD player. Both read CDs and output sound. You could be satisfied with the former but once you experience the latter, there is no coming back. Everything seems effortless on the BDP-2, more details, more airy, more open, more weight, etc. By comparison, going back to the CCA, everything sounds more flat and is not as enjoyable to listen to. Actually, everything is just as expected but I am glad to have been able to compare both. For 35$, the CCA is a terrific bargain and its integration with Roon is seamless. But any serious listening would be well served with any BDP. For someone who starts, a BDP-1 at 500-600$ used would be a terrific first step and I would recommend to just pass the CCA in this condition.

Setup:
Yamaha CA-1000 & XLO Ultra X-10 power cable
Bryston BDP-2 with BUC - No name power cable
Bryston BDA-3 - Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX
Chromecast Audio with 3.5 mm to Google Optical Cable for optical input
Canare XLR cable for XLR input

As you can see, my power cables are a mess but I am working on this. I could not believe the difference the Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX made on the BDA-3 so if I can expect a similar outcome by feeding the BDP-2 with a very good power cable, the difference would be even greater. I can report later on this. Also, the XLR cable I used was the only one I had on hand to connect both Bryston units so I am very eager to ear the difference it will make once I receive my Kimber Kable KS-2416 USB cable (c'mon USPS).

Cheers!