AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 09-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Kevin, congrats on the Focals! Now imagine how much better they will be when run in a bit.
Thanks Randy....30 hours on them now and opening up a bit.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
Glad you like them, I really enjoy my 1038's and they seem to work well with any music I throw at them.
Mine seemed to get a tad better after about 20 hours of play time, but that could just be phsyco acoustics
Mine have run over 30 hours as of this morning. I haven't heard noticed any real improvements yet but not complaining due to how good they sounded brand new.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:17 AM

I'm off on monday, but we have limited time. One of those I take my family with me and leave them in the car while I go listen to like 5 traacks on your system type visit..
Old 10-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Retired

Any update? Been listening to my Electra's for several months and the love affair continues.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Any update? Been listening to my Electra's for several months and the love affair continues.
I probably have 100 hours or better on them now. My update is that these are truly outstanding speakers with just about any type of music played on them. At this point, regardless if I'm still in love with any speakers I've owned, I have found some area where I'm either disappointed or at least mildly un satisfied. That just isn't the case with these speakers. The only other speaker I've owned like that were my Hales Transcendence 8's and they were speakers that what I would compare to $20k speakers. I'm sure part of it is that these are really my type of speaker; lively, articulate and fast, crisp, clean FUN!

I would call these an under rated speaker but I've always read good to excellent reviews on them, just not very many, so not sure that applies. What I know is these are very special speakers that offer excitement beyond anything I've heard at the price and well beyond.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman View Post
I probably have 100 hours or better on them now. My update is that these are truly outstanding speakers with just about any type of music played on them. At this point, regardless if I'm still in love with any speakers I've owned, I have found some area where I'm either disappointed or at least mildly un satisfied. That just isn't the case with these speakers. The only other speaker I've owned like that were my Hales Transcendence 8's and they were speakers that what I would compare to $20k speakers. I'm sure part of it is that these are really my type of speaker; lively, articulate and fast, crisp, clean FUN! I would call these an under rated speaker but I've always read good to excellent reviews on them, just not very many, so not sure that applies. What I know is these are very special speakers that offer excitement beyond anything I've heard at the price and well beyond.
I share your view that 1038's are underrated. They are fun to listen to and easy on the eyes as well. May I know what amplification and source you use? Any power conditioning and power cords used? I use Pass class A amplification and IMO it's a great match.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Retired

Quote:
Glenn...I'll be driving them with my Mcintosh MA8000 300wpc integrated. Hopefully a good match. I auditioned them extensively with a MC452.
McIntosh.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 AM

joey_v what size is your room? I'm considering the 1028, 1038, and the Sopra2. Im not sure if the 1038s will be too big and cause bass boom in a 20 sqm room. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 AM

Apichetk, welcome to AA.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Understand KZ
I like them better than the Sabrina's and I loved the Sabrina's. A few things;
Bass is much much better-quicker without any overhang. They play much louder without any strain. The Sabrina's didn't seem to like being pushed as much. Again I loved the Sabrina's but they weren't as flexible as the 1038's. The Sabrina's never sounded bad by any means, but some stuff sounded considerably better than others. Whatever I throw at the Focals is met with unflinching resolve. I haven't found a genre they don't like. They are a bit livelier than the Sabrina's. Those looking for wallflower speakers should keep shopping. For me that is a great thing. Today my ancient Stevie Wonder Musiquarium and Who's, Whos Next sounded like they were remastered. They weren't. High quality masters like JT's October Road was unreal.
I also busted through the soundstage today. Very tall, broad and deep. More so than the Sabrina's.
I've owned 1028BEs for almost 5 years. I've heard the 1038s and they are definately bigger and fuller sounding but overall have the same sound signature. They resolve and are accurate to a fault and sound good with well recorded music and are totally unforgiving to anything else. The Focal sound stage is rather recessed and flat in comparison to the Sabrina which is much more forward and live like. The Sabrina is a little colored and for it much more forgiving to the recording and sweet sounding at lower volumes. As for loud volumes you should be able to pound the crap out of the 1038s for sure but I hope your ears don't start ringing like mine do now.

The one suggestion I have is get a set of Transparent audio speakers cables they do wonders for Focal Electra speakers which have a bit of peak in the top end by design.