AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I would actually like to buy a 750 cover off a dead unit as at least it has holes over the HD.
You just missed out; there was one being given away in the Marketplace right here.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 PM

the MS750 case is very different than the MS350 case. Top off the MS750 will not fit the MS350. The top of the MS300 is more of an U shape that covers the sides. The top of the MS750 is a flat plate. The MS750 is about 2 5/8 longer than the MS300.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little nellie View Post
the MS750 case is very different than the MS350 case. Top off the MS750 will not fit the MS350. The top of the MS300 is more of an U shape that covers the sides. The top of the MS750 is a flat plate. The MS750 is about 2 5/8 longer than the MS300.
That is most helpful. I will look at getting mine precision drilled over the hard drive area as the fan is not pulling much are from there at all.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 PM

Default Fan

Anyone know how to rewire the fan so that it is always running? Not sure of exact connection location and change.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Anyone know how to rewire the fan so that it is always running? Not sure of exact connection location and change.

Steve,

You can run the fan continuously if you steal power from the hard drive connector, but you’ll need to make a decision. If you connect the fan to the 12VDC pin, it’ll run at full RPM and depending on the fan used, it may be too loud for your listening room (there are literally hundreds of fans with various voltages, RPM, noise level and CFM ratings). If you connect it to the 5VDC pin, it will run at a low RPM and reduced air flow.

I wired the fan on my MS300 to the hard drive connector to make it run all the time. If I recall correctly, I used the 5VDC pin.

I’d try both 12V and 5V to determine which will work out better for you.

Mike
Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

sgbroimp.......Your new Subscriber banner looks great. Thanks for helping support the forum.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-28-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Steve,

You can run the fan continuously if you steal power from the hard drive connector, but you’ll need to make a decision. If you connect the fan to the 12VDC pin, it’ll run at full RPM and depending on the fan used, it may be too loud for your listening room (there are literally hundreds of fans with various voltages, RPM, noise level and CFM ratings). If you connect it to the 5VDC pin, it will run at a low RPM and reduced air flow.

I wired the fan on my MS300 to the hard drive connector to make it run all the time. If I recall correctly, I used the 5VDC pin.

I’d try both 12V and 5V to determine which will work out better for you.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. This is the same fan as others are using and what you offered me. Doubt it will be too loud as I already heve an HTPC with 3 fans in it running all the time on shelf above the MS. We are having boot issues, now with two different drives (one the original known to be good) so we have to sort that hiccup out. PS rebuild and second MB, so I suspect a connection somewhere.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 PM

Am I right that to reliably boot up, even with a good and Mc software-loaded hard drive, often it will not boot unless the Ethernet cable if hooked up to the network?
Old 03-12-2021, 01:56 AM

After not using my MS750 for quite some time I thought that I would fire it up...I unfortunately got the red blinking death light...

Swapped out the hard drive with one that I had all preloaded with music and the OS, but not luck... Must be the power supply board. I looked and yes, leaky caps all around.. ugh!

edit, caps not leaky, just old glue... A member came to my rescue though!!! I love this board!

Last edited by mike175gr; 03-14-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:07 AM

Very sorry to hear that, Mike. I came to the conclusion long ago that running one of these with the original power supply begs problems, most serious of which is not the PS itself, but the possibility to knock out the main board, of which there are apparently none anywhere. Maybe you will have luck. Pull the PS and send it to the boys in Ft. Worth as many of us did. The other thing to try is pulling and resetting various connectors as these are not gold contact machines. I brought one back by replacing the ribbon cable after I saw that it was on/off/on/off. I hope you will have some luck. When these babies run they sound great and with new PS, my 750 is fine except for a weekly need to reboot.