AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Stephen...how about a simple Gingko Cloud isolation platform underneath the table? Here is a link to their products page. They have 4 or 5 different models which I suspect are for different size/weight tts. I think Serge has a Gingko platform that he used for his Clearaudio tt. You might want to ask him what he thought of it. The platforms range from $300-$600 i think. So not inexpensive but not outrageous. Just a thought.
I am using a Gingko Cloud 14A but my table is not of the suspended types. While the Gingko is awesome with my table, I don't have a problem with foot falls in my wooden floor room. I just don't know if it will be with a suspended type of table... Wouldn't hurt to give Gingko a call.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I am using a Gingko Cloud 14A but my table is not of the suspended types. While the Gingko is awesome with my table, I don't have a problem with foot falls in my wooden floor room. I just don't know if it will be with a suspended type of table... Wouldn't hurt to give Gingko a call.
Stephen,

I used a Gingko Cloud for a couple of years under my VPI Scoutmaster table - It was an excellent isolation platform - except - when I recently moved the equipment to the second floor in a "bonus room" over our garage - with probably less than perfect floor stability - I quickly found that I couldn't use it - because with every footfall, the arm would bounce on the record.

Removing the Gingko and placing the table directly on the Arcici Suspense Rack completely solved that problem.

I do have a "slightly used" Gingko Cloud 11 platform that I'd sell you on a "racehorse deal" - but I really don't recommend it for your situation.

Also, I have owned a couple of Linn LP-12 turntables in the past and found them particularly susceptible to footfalls - just as you are experiencing.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 02-22-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 PM

Here is another idea you might try. I don't remember where I saw this but one guy took a regular inner tube and sandwiched it between two heavy maple cutting boards placing his TT on top of the top board. It might be worth the try. It should at least show you if that decouples enough from the floor before buying the nice unit. I guess it is really going to depend on how much your floor is moving. Mine is kind of an extreme case with the house being a very old (100 years) farmhouse. Even just walking into the room normally I could look over and see my TT moving.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Stephen...how about a simple Gingko Cloud isolation platform underneath the table? Here is a link to their products page. They have 4 or 5 different models which I suspect are for different size/weight tts. I think Serge has a Gingko platform that he used for his Clearaudio tt. You might want to ask him what he thought of it. The platforms range from $300-$600 i think. So not inexpensive but not outrageous. Just a thought.
I have one too. A big one with 8 balls custom made for my TT.
Unable to do anything against loosing the groove with foot steps on a suspended floor. But the sound improved somehow, getting a bit of the bloom of a LP12, with the precision and detail of the Clearaudio....
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Stephen,

I used a Gingko Cloud for a couple of years under my VPI Scoutmaster table - It was an excellent isolation platform - except - when I recently moved the equipment to the second floor in a "bonus room" over our garage - with probably less than perfect floor stability - I quickly found that I couldn't use it - because with every footfall, the arm would bounce on the record.

Removing the Gingko and placing the table directly on the Arcici Suspense Rack completely solved that problem.

I do have a "slightly used" Gingko Cloud platform that I'd sell you on a "racehorse deal" - but I really don't recommend it for your situation.

Also, I have owned a couple of Linn LP-12 turntables in the past and found them particularly susceptible to footfalls - just as you are experiencing.

Julian

"I quickly found that I couldn't use it - because with every footfall, the arm would bounce on the record" :
ABSOLUTELY !

"Also, I have owned a couple of Linn LP-12 turntables in the past and found them particularly susceptible to footfalls - just as you are experiencing." :
I never had that problem with the LP12, using it also in an "added room" under the roof with poor quality floor. And all my friends who have one LP12 never had problems with foot falls.... I'm really amazed !
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Stephen,

I think the difference between the Gingko platform and, platforms suspended on tubes (like the Arcici and others) is that the Gingko, being suspended on rubber balls allows horizontal as well as vertical movement - thus allowing the turntable to move freely in all directions. The top plate of the Gingko can actually move in a circular fashion. It is a superb platform for isolating a turntable from vibration or low bass notes or whatever, but seems not to be (in my case) the answer to absorb the shock created by footfalls.

With the Linn turntables, I think the problems may stem from the direction of motion created by walking in the vicinity of the turntables. As I thought about the Gingko platform, I realized that side to side motion may precipitate different problems than purely vertical motion. If the shock caused by walking causes the platform (or the top deck of a Linn) to move in a horizontal plane rather than, or in addition to vertical movement, the arm, already moving horizontally across the record, may accelerate its motion and "skip". Those who report no problems with their Linns on suspended floors, may have different floor dynamics than you and I have experienced, and the motional shock created by their "footfalls" may be different.

Or maybe not - I was a business major - spent my whole working life in business and politics and have absolutely no engineering background. This is just a thought, based on absolutely no knowledge of inertia, or anything else that would lend credence to my statement.

Pure speculation by Julian.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 02-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 AM

I like it when you speculate Julian... no problem.

I think that I have found the solution... can I borrow 30K???

Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
I have one too. A big one with 8 balls custom made for my TT.
Unable to do anything against loosing the groove with foot steps on a suspended floor. But the sound improved somehow, getting a bit of the bloom of a LP12, with the precision and detail of the Clearaudio....
How much does your TT weigh? It is my understanding that each ball is good for 10 lbs of weight. My Gingko came with 5 balls. I tried all 5 and didn't like the results at all. Down to 4 and it was much, much better. The combined weight of my table and upper platform is very close to 40 lbs which makes sense since each ball should be optimally loaded with 10 lbs.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
How much does your TT weigh? It is my understanding that each ball is good for 10 lbs of weight. My Gingko came with 5 balls. I tried all 5 and didn't like the results at all. Down to 4 and it was much, much better. The combined weight of my table and upper platform is very close to 40 lbs which makes sense since each ball should be optimally loaded with 10 lbs.
Serge,

The Clearaudio Champion level II is 79.37 lbs. So eight balls seem to be normal.
The platform I bought is custom made for the level II.
Do you think I should try with 6 or 7 balls ?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Serge,

The Clearaudio Champion level II is 79.37 lbs. So eight balls seem to be normal.
The platform I bought is custom made for the level II.
Do you think I should try with 6 or 7 balls ?
Seems to be in range but would be good to experiment with 1 or 2 less. I found that loaded with even 1 too many balls made the whole setup a bit too stiff sprung and the sound became hard and aggressive. Just removing 1 ball made the sound more relaxed and natural. Also, with 5 balls in my setup, the whole platform had a fast and hard vibrating reaction to foot falls. With one less ball, it became less reactive and truly started to gently float as if it really was a "Cloud".