Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 06-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Life is beautiful

Chick Corea - The Spanish Heart Band
Qobuz 24/96

Latin jazz.
Hmmm...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Chick Corea - The Spanish Heart Band

Qobuz 24/96

Latin jazz.

Hmmm...

Does that mean you’re not sure? I haven’t listened yet but have been watching for this release, I’ll have to try it later.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-29-2019, 11:44 PM
Retired

Bart & Tony - if you stream radio, try WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple university 9-12 p.m. on Saturday nights. El Viaje is an all Latin jazz program with David Ortiz, an excellent DJ for same. You will be introduced to many new bands and genre of Latin jazz. https://www.wrti.org/programs/el-viaje
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-30-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Bart & Tony - if you stream radio, try WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple university 9-12 p.m. on Saturday nights. El Viaje is an all Latin jazz program with David Ortiz, an excellent DJ for same. You will be introduced to many new bands and genre of Latin jazz. https://www.wrti.org/programs/el-viaje

Thanks for the tip Glenn, I’ll give it a listen.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post

Thank you Glenn!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Does that mean you’re not sure? I haven’t listened yet but have been watching for this release, I’ll have to try it later.

Tony, I didn't listen till the very end, and that says a lot.
It is not that bad.
But Corea is so good on much of his other work, that I rather spend time listening to that.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Tony, I didn't listen till the very end, and that says a lot.

It is not that bad.

But Corea is so good on much of his other work, that I rather spend time listening to that.

Thanks Bart, and yes, knowing your good taste in jazz, that says enough.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Life is beautiful

Stan Getz & Bill Evans
via Qobuz

Recorded in '64, but only released in '73.

Stan Getz - tenor saxophone
Bill Evans - piano
Richard Davis - bass (tracks 4-6, 9 & 10)
Ron Carter - bass (tracks 1-3, 7, 8 & 11)
Elvin Jones - drums

This was a recommendation by the German magazine 'Stereo', in the rubric old gems.
I listened to it before studying the band members, and it struck me that the bass and drums were terrific.
Then I saw it was once again Ron Carter and Elvin Jones.
Good recording too.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:30 PM
Life is beautiful

Revisiting a fantastic soundtrack.
I post my earlier comments.

Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'Échafaud
Qobuz 24/96

Miles Davis, Composer, Trumpet
Kenny Clarke, Drums
Pierre Michelot, Double Bass
Barney Wilen, Tenor Saxophone
René Urtreger, Piano

This remaster is very very good.

Fantastic soundtrack of '57, when Davis was in Paris.
The trumpet sounds coming from his horn are music as pure as it gets.
They come from a place only geniuses can go into.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:

Grant Green - Idle Moments
Qobuz 24/192

A fantastic remaster of a great album.

The album was identified by Scott Yanow in his Allmusic essay "Hard Bop" as one of the 17 Essential Hard Bop Recordings. (From Wiki)

Grant Green - guitar
Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
Duke Pearson - piano
Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphone
Bob Cranshaw - double bass
Al Harewood - drums

One of the favourite albums in this thread I think.

This languid, seductive gem may well be Grant Green's greatest moment on record. Right from the opening bars of the classic title cut, Idle Moments is immediately ingratiating and accessible, featuring some of Green's most stylish straight jazz playing. Whether he's running warm (pianist Duke Pearson's "Idle Moments"), cool (the Modern Jazz Quartet's "Django"), or a bit more up-tempo (Pearson's "Nomad," his own "Jean de Fleur"), Green treats the material with the graceful elegance that was the hallmark of his best hard bop sessions, and that quality achieves its fullest expression here. He's helped by an ensemble that, as a sextet, is slightly larger and fuller-sounding than usual, and there's plenty of room for solo explorations on the four extended pieces. Pearson's touch on the piano is typically warm, while two players best known on Blue Note for their modernist dates mellow out a bit -- the cool shimmer of Bobby Hutcherson's vibes is a marvelously effective addition to the atmosphere, while Joe Henderson plays with a husky, almost Ike Quebec-like breathiness. That cushion of support helps spur Green to some of the loveliest, most intimate performances of his career -- no matter what the tempo, it's as if his guitar is whispering secrets in your ear. It's especially true on the dreamy title track, though: a gorgeous, caressing, near-15-minute excursion that drifts softly along like a warm, starry summer night. Even more than the two-disc set The Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark, Idle Moments is the essential first Green purchase, and some of the finest guitar jazz of the hard bop era. ~ Steve Huey