AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 PM

Default My experience with UPS claims service has been pretty dismal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1013 View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback, folks! So, I received the 704’s today. They were in beautiful condition, not a scratch on them. I did some inspecting and notice that the tweeter cone and grill got dented via shipment. I compared pictures of the speakers prior to shipment and the tweeter in question was undamaged. So, I now have a pair of 704’s with a damaged tweeter.

Considering the damage likely occurred in transit, I may have recourse against UPS. Whatever the case may be, any recommendations as to how I address this?

Is it tough to replace a 704 tweeter? It would be such a pain in the butt to repackage, re-ship, etc.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Also, what effect on tweeter performance does a dent have on the tweeter?

Any advice would be really really really appreciated.

HGW
You are better off fixing the damage on your on dime than trying to get UPS to pay for a repair. UPS damaged a preamp during shipping to my home last summer. I had purchased it from a dealer in another city, who shipped it to me with insurance. After a great deal of frustrating correspondence, both in person and by email, the only solution offered by UPS was to take possession of the shipment back from me, pay the insurance to the seller, and leave me with the task of obtaining a refund from the seller. It was too cumbersome. The seller and I ended up splitting the cost of the repair.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
You are better off fixing the damage on your on dime than trying to get UPS to pay for a repair. UPS damaged a preamp during shipping to my home last summer. I had purchased it from a dealer in another city, who shipped it to me with insurance. After a great deal of frustrating correspondence, both in person and by email, the only solution offered by UPS was to take possession of the shipment back from me, pay the insurance to the seller, and leave me with the task of obtaining a refund from the seller. It was too cumbersome. The seller and I ended up splitting the cost of the repair.
So I went ahead and order the tweeter diaphragm, which arrived today. I informed the seller that I purchased the replacement on my own and she said she would make the UPS claim etc. Anyway, I installed the new tweeter today, and was kinda skeptical about whether it was really even necessary after messing around with a SPL meter. Anyway, when I installed it I noticed that the “housing” had been removed before, as said person who did it used an electrical drill and they missed the hole slightly on one of the screws before realizing it. So, anyway, the tweeter may have been replaced before.

After replacing the tweeter, I turner on a little Boz Scaggs “Thank To You” and to my delight I noticed a difference immediately in terms of clarity and detail.