AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Retired

Harry Havnoonian at Cycle Sport in Media, PA. Our condo is just across the street from his shop. Harry talks a great game and still has a photo of a welder (Harry?) on his home page. Just don't expect to get any work out of him. Had purchased all the parts in preparation for the build. He was well known thru the 90's for his frames and many folks did well on them at the Trexlertown velodrome. On the flip side, my Serotta CSi (Record 10spd group) was a fantastic bicycle and rode it over Trail Ridge Road twice.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Harry Havnoonian at Cycle Sport in Media, PA. Our condo is just across the street from his shop. Harry talks a great game and still has a photo of a welder (Harry?) on his home page. Just don't expect to get any work out of him. Had purchased all the parts in preparation for the build. He was well known thru the 90's for his frames and many folks did well on them at the Trexlertown velodrome. On the flip side, my Serotta CSi (Record 10spd group) was a fantastic bicycle and rode it over Trail Ridge Road twice.
I recall hearing a similar story years back about the same builder. I went with a custom SEVEN about 11 years ago. Nothing like riding a frame that is made for your body.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
"Something wicked this way comes"

Really interested in how these turn out. After playing with the GL KT77 in the PSE I hooked the 45 SET back up. There is just something about that tube that jives with real, a certain realism that is hard to pass by.

I remember early along in the PSE discussion someone saying a big part of the benefit of the PSE vs the SEP was the parallel output tubes drop the impedance that the output transformers see and that in hand helps the transformers get a better grip on the speakers.

If a 45 PSE has the anything close to the grip on the woofers that my pentode PSE does and can maintain the 45 magic, I may have 2 amps for sale. Would seem to be the perfect compromise for me and my set up.

AA, now that you have had a little more time with your creation how is it panning out? Also, using 6SL7 drivers, couldn't tell from the pictures? Looks like same 5z3/5u4g rectifiers as the 45 SET.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:10 PM

Well about an hour ago I brought home my new Dennis Had Inspire Fire Bottle PSE amplifier with Blue Alps volume control in beautiful high gloss (Harley?) black finish and it sounds amazing with my Omega Super Alnico HO 1.5 way monitors!

The new PSE retains all of the finesse and "quick on it's feet" sonics that my Inspire IFA-1 has and adds depth, power and a further open-ness to the sound, on par with my fully upgraded David Berning ZH270,

Dennis really has crafted something special here with this amp in my opinion. If I ever want to, I can roll all kinds of power tubes (mine was voiced and furnished with KT66's) as well the input tube and the rectifier as well.

I am a happy camper! Just emailed DH and told him my musical enjoyment has just jumped to a whole new level.

Now what to do with my Inspire IFA-1 and my Berning ZH270 (don't need the 70 WPC)?

Tim
Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 PM

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

Last edited by jdandy; 04-06-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: enlarge photos
Old 04-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
Well about an hour ago I brought home my new Dennis Had Inspire Fire Bottle PSE amplifier with Blue Alps volume control in beautiful high gloss (Harley?) black finish and it sounds amazing with my Omega Super Alnico HO 1.5 way monitors!
Enjoy your new PSE. It sure is one special piece. At least I know mine is. As I recall mine was voiced for KT-88s, one of the first 3-5 built and they were all KT-88s at the time. I had told Dennis I had yet to hear Kt-88s that moved me. He put in KT-77s and was amazed at how good they sounded. Measurement on the bench further had him feeling like the amp was designed for them. At least that is how I remember it. I have slept since then. I know it does sound just AWESOME!!

P.s. Don't use 6k6gts they don't work with the SS rectification of the IIRPS.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post

The new PSE retains all of the finesse and "quick on it's feet" sonics that my Inspire IFA-1 has and adds depth, power and a further open-ness to the sound, on par with my fully upgraded David Berning ZH270,

Dennis really has crafted something special here with this amp in my opinion. If I ever want to, I can roll all kinds of power tubes (mine was voiced and furnished with KT66's) as well the input tube and the rectifier as well.

I am a happy camper! Just emailed DH and told him my musical enjoyment has just jumped to a whole new level.

Now what to do with my Inspire IFA-1 and my Berning ZH270 (don't need the 70 WPC)?

Tim
Perhaps sell one and get a LP27a?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Wink

Beatlebum: Gorgeous looking rig. Enjoy your special new amp with those remarkable Omega Alnico speakers.

In my view (I may be wrong) if one does not really need the extra power, a Triode-strapped configuration is the ideal setup, because it is still quite dynamic but at the same time excels in the mid-range. A freaking mid-range magic output tube like the KT-77 brings about much synergy with the Triode configuration, which still keeps an awesomely nice extension in the frequency extremes.

Also, when one uses 6P3S-E's in this setup, the level of mid and high frequency detail is exceptional, with an airy sound displaying great instrumental separation. Of course, I have never listened to the PSE, but being particularly biased towards the mid-range "magic" effect, I'm a Triode-nut!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 04-07-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
If a 45 PSE has the anything close to the grip on the woofers that my pentode PSE does and can maintain the 45 magic, I may have 2 amps for sale. Would seem to be the perfect compromise for me and my set up.

AA, now that you have had a little more time with your creation how is it panning out? Also, using 6SL7 drivers, couldn't tell from the pictures? Looks like same 5z3/5u4g rectifiers as the 45 SET.
I think you are correct in your estimation. Just like the SEP PSE has more of the goodness of the standard SEP configuration, the 45 PSE has more of the goodness of the standard SET 45 amp with really no downsides, except requiring additional tubes and custom OPTs. In my estimation, it's the nicest sounding amp I've ever owned.

I'm hoping Dennis will build one at some point in time, but I know I haven't made my last one either....
Old 04-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I think you are correct in your estimation. Just like the SEP PSE has more of the goodness of the standard SEP configuration, the 45 PSE has more of the goodness of the standard SET 45 amp with really no downsides, except requiring additional tubes and custom OPTs. In my estimation, it's the nicest sounding amp I've ever owned.

I'm hoping Dennis will build one at some point in time, but I know I haven't made my last one either....
Already got a set of old skool and new skool output tubes between the EML mesh and Sylvania globes sent with my 45 SET amp. So one more set of output tubes isn't that bad.

Will definitely be sitting back and eating some popcorn while this plays out. I'm sure even compared to the SEP PSE there would be a lot more $$$ in building an Inspired 45 PSE, but if it meant the SEP PSE and 45 SET could move on to new homes I think it would all balance out.

So, who are the 2 copper chassis for? Are those for you to rebuild your creation or is Dennis playing also?