AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Default Availability of Shindo Monoblock Amplifiers

I'm thinking about adding a pair of Shindo monoblocks to complement my Monbrison. These would drive Altec Valencias. I'll be reaching out to Matt to put something on the calendar when my schedule permits but noticed that the D'Yquem doesn't appear on any of the Shindo websites anymore and they were high on my list to audition. I'm wondering whether the model is still in production and which monoblock models are currently available? Maybe Matt will chime in. I'd also welcome thoughts on which models would best pair with this combination for an 18' x 30' room.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:26 PM

I would certainly give Matt a ring. Shindo's website is quite dated and not a high priority for them. I can't say if the D'Yquems are still in current rotation but as of 4/26 Matt had a used one for sale of his website. If not there's the Cortese 300b at half the price...

Bon Chance,

Jarad
Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Thanks Jarad
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 AM

I believe the answer is NO with regard to the D'Yquems being in production. I own a pair, which I'm driving Altec Valencia's with. I use an outboard Werner crossover, with Duelund 16 gauge (oil/cotton) wire to drivers. What are you currently driving your Valencia's with, and are your Valencia's stock. Cheers -Don
Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Thanks Don, you're right about the D'Yquems being out of production. Too bad, I would have liked to have auditioned them. Per Matt, Shindo currently produces only the Montille 6v6, Montille 391, Cortese 300B, Cortese F2a, Corton Charlemagne KT88 mono amps and the Shindo WE300B Single Ltd mono amps.

My Valencias are original for now and I have been driving them with vintage Yves Beauvais McIntosh MC75"s that are paired with a Shindo Monbrison. I see you've modified yours considerably including the crossover. How would you characterize the impact of the changes?

Since my original post, I worked out a deal with Matt to upgrade to a Giscours (Western Electric 394A version) and a pair of Corton-Charlemagne EL34's. I'm excited and given how little power I needed to drive the Altec's with the MC75's, I should be in great shape with the new gear. I'm looking forward to the synergy!

Todd
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 AM

Hey Todd- The list of amps Matt gave you matches the info I received less than two weeks ago. I wasn't told by Matt, but by a reliable source. The CC34's should be nice match with the Altec's. I'd love to hear that combination. My version of CC34's had stock Telefunken EL34, and I believe they were around vintage 2009. They drove O/96's. I think they will appreciate the 16 Ohm load. Congrats on the CC's, and the Giscours. I think moving up the Shindo preamp chain is a no brainer. My Werner Crossover made a very special speaker a bit better. Refinement comes to mind...a bit smoother overall. But I will at one point toss those old backs (with stock XO) back on. It's been years since I've heard them.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Hey Todd- The list of amps Matt gave you matches the info I received less than two weeks ago. I wasn't told by Matt, but by a reliable source. The CC34's should be nice match with the Altec's. I'd love to hear that combination. My version of CC34's had stock Telefunken EL34, and I believe they were around vintage 2009. They drove O/96's. I think they will appreciate the 16 Ohm load. Congrats on the CC's, and the Giscours. I think moving up the Shindo preamp chain is a no brainer. My Werner Crossover made a very special speaker a bit better. Refinement comes to mind...a bit smoother overall. But I will at one point toss those old backs (with stock XO) back on. It's been years since I've heard them.
Thanks! I lucked out and found a very pristine pair of 846A Valencias with nice cabinets, grills intact and perfect early drivers. I'm sure there are gains to be had based upon what I've read but I'm reluctant to do anything that isn't easily reversible to these time machines (Sounds like you've thought of that as well). As you know, the dynamics really are off the charts with these speakers. There are aspects of other speakers that I prefer but nothing I've heard puts you in the front row like the Altecs.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCenthusiast View Post
Thanks! I lucked out and found a very pristine pair of 846A Valencias with nice cabinets, grills intact and perfect early drivers. I'm sure there are gains to be had based upon what I've read but I'm reluctant to do anything that isn't easily reversible to these time machines (Sounds like you've thought of that as well). As you know, the dynamics really are off the charts with these speakers. There are aspects of other speakers that I prefer but nothing I've heard puts you in the front row like the Altecs.
You should give me a ring.
I’m in SF too with a shindo system (Giscours, we300b, petite latours, shindo 301 tt system, shindo 861b step up, etc).

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrary View Post
You should give me a ring.
I’m in SF too with a shindo system (Giscours, we300b, petite latours, shindo 301 tt system, shindo 861b step up, etc).
Thanks and good to hear from someone nearby. Send me a pm and we'll connect offline.

Todd
Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCenthusiast View Post
Thanks and good to hear from someone nearby. Send me a pm and we'll connect offline.

Todd
For some reason I can't pm. email me at freestone99 - at- gmail