AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
+1

Hi Jerome,
My FMA611 finally started getting static noise after 21yrs of trouble free operation (last year). Turned out to be some drying caps as Elberoth mentioned. As an alternating amp throughout those years (not seeing as much usage as it normally would), idle, being kept in-storage at times and in somewhat humid condition didn't help either. If local, you'd probably want to have a technician check the innards. I'd be a little wary if buying overseas, unless of course you knew the dealer well and can rely on them should anything happen.

*As for sound of Accuphase-A, if you treat (feed/tune) them well, you won't be missing much in ways of tubes.. imho. Best.
21 years is pretty good, imo. Especially since it wasn't in constant use. I wish I still had the FMA611 to see if I would have the same problem, but as some of you know, I sold it off several years ago.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Hi Jerome,

I too agree with the previous comments. The A-100s are very good amps but they most likely would need to be (at least) recaped.

I should also say that in the past I had only good experience with german dealers. From what I know they are obliged by law to give one year warranty for every 2nd hand product they sell. However, with Accuphase units, it is important that they are german units, and also that the dealer who is selling the A-100s is an Accuphase official dealer - you should be able to find this info on the P.I.A page. I would ask the dealer to talk with P.I.A. about the costs of a complete refurbish.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Paul
Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
There is a lot of love for the Harbeth / Accuphase combination on the Harbeth user group, including one guy that runs those amps with a pair of the tiny P3ESR's, and seems deeply happy.Now that may be over kill, but with your incoming speakers, possibly a pretty amazing combination, especially as another alternative to your current amps?

They do look gorgeous too imho
I am the guy who drives the Harbeth P3ESR´s with the Accuphase A 100. It is a wonderful combination. Okay, maybe a little bit of a overkill, but I love it.

Actually my Accuphase A 100 is not recapped and it sounds wonderful. I brought at to the service to recap it, the checked it, meassured it and told me that everything was like from the first day and changed nothing. The didn´t even charge me for the service.

Here you can see how the Accuphase A100 compare against some of my other amps. The comparison are always done in a blind test with speakers from Magico or Linn.

Shootout - www.amp-shootout.com

Best regards

Martin
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsur View Post
I am the guy who drives the Harbeth P3ESR´s with the Accuphase A 100. It is a wonderful combination. Okay, maybe a little bit of a overkill, but I love it.

Actually my Accuphase A 100 is not recapped and it sounds wonderful. I brought at to the service to recap it, the checked it, meassured it and told me that everything was like from the first day and changed nothing. The didn´t even charge me for the service.

Here you can see how the Accuphase A100 compare against some of my other amps. The comparison are always done in a blind test with speakers from Magico or Linn.

Best regards

Martin
Overkill I reckon I could be very happy with too I suspect!! Welcome
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Wow what beauties!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Best regards

Martin
Interesting reading. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Interesting reading. Thanks for posting.
+1.
Danke schön, Martin!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
Hi Jerome, I too agree with the previous comments. The A-100s are very good amps but they most likely would need to be (at least) recaped. I should also say that in the past I had only good experience with german dealers. From what I know they are obliged by law to give one year warranty for every 2nd hand product they sell. However, with Accuphase units, it is important that they are german units, and also that the dealer who is selling the A-100s is an Accuphase official dealer - you should be able to find this info on the P.I.A page. I would ask the dealer to talk with P.I.A. about the costs of a complete refurbish. Good luck and keep us posted. Paul
Hi Paul,
The A100 are P.I.A units. The dealer told me that recapping them will be around 1200 euros at P.I.A and his technician could do it for 350 euros.
At this time I have some private personal worries I decided not to add anymore possible troubles but this dealer seems to be very nice to deal with and I trust him. But it is not the good timing for me.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I am the guy who drives the Harbeth P3ESR´s with the Accuphase A 100. It is a wonderful combination. Okay, maybe a little bit of a overkill, but I love it. Actually my Accuphase A 100 is not recapped and it sounds wonderful. I brought at to the service to recap it, the checked it, meassured it and told me that everything was like from the first day and changed nothing. The didn´t even charge me for the service. Here you can see how the Accuphase A100 compare against some of my other amps. The comparison are always done in a blind test with speakers from Magico or Linn. Shootout - www.amp-shootout.com Best regards Martin
Thanks for sharing Martin !