AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Sports

Sports Place for all to discuss different sports

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Life is beautiful

Finished!

France world champion.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Amazing World Cup.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:06 PM

I agree. Only one nil nil draw in the whole tournament, and few dull games. Perhaps one of the best ever, full of surprises, big 'un's losing to small teams, and new stars emerging. Only Croatia kept the old guard going, and put up a tremendous performance tonight. A bit bittersweet as a blightonian, but i loved much about many other teams. More goals than you can throw a stick against, I can't remember a better one.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 PM

Congrad's to our French members out there. Some exciting moment both at the final and throughout the tournament. Some individual performances to be highlighted, OMG Mbappe's speed. For me a genuinely shocking thought to realise that there will be no more Luka Modric at a World Cup finals, what a player, what football IQ he's got I cannot stress enough how I appreciate his playing.

Here's to having more Modrics, Iniestas, Pirlos, Messis and cerebral players come the next WC around November 2022.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Congrad's to our French members out there. Some exciting moment both at the final and throughout the tournament. Some individual performances to be highlighted, OMG Mbappe's speed. For me a genuinely shocking thought to realise that there will be no more Luka Modric at a World Cup finals, what a player, what football IQ he's got I cannot stress enough how I appreciate his playing.

Here's to having more Modrics, Iniestas, Pirlos, Messis and cerebral players come the next WC around November 2022.

I found Modric the best player of the tournament, and I see he's elected for the Golden Ball.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Retired

Hmmmm......... think Mbappe should have had the golden ball. But, it was OK to give him the 'young player' and pass the other award along. Think winning the cup was good enough.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-17-2018, 04:00 PM

While defeat in final tastes a bit bitter i think that we at Croatia have one more time showed the world how we play football and that we are not scared of big names...all in all we have watched great WC with shocking matches and last minute goals, great teams falling away at early stages etc...i probably got 2-3 heart attacks through our games but it has been worth of it...in the end congratulate to France they deserved it but i hope that world recons that we have 4million folks in our country and France has 67mil. in their plus they hand pick very best players from their former colonies as french citizens which speaks alot...

P.S. special congrats to Griezmann...of boy that man knows how to dive so professional you got to respect that but where was VAR in those moments...oh well...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM

Excellent Croatia side indeed, great generation and I think better technically than given credit for. Dejo a Titan from the back, Luka I have no words, Rakitic playing under the fever, Rebic a real workhorse. They were the side I (this is always subjective) liked to view the most.

Now if the Mamic family would wind up in jail (corruption...) in the end, that would really make my day.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 AM

Default 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog031 View Post
While defeat in final tastes a bit bitter i think that we at Croatia have one more time showed the world how we play football and that we are not scared of big names...all in all we have watched great WC with shocking matches and last minute goals, great teams falling away at early stages etc...i probably got 2-3 heart attacks through our games but it has been worth of it...in the end congratulate to France they deserved it but i hope that world recons that we have 4million folks in our country and France has 67mil. in their plus they hand pick very best players from their former colonies as french citizens which speaks alot...

P.S. special congrats to Griezmann...of boy that man knows how to dive so professional you got to respect that but where was VAR in those moments...oh well...

First let me say that like many I have been extremely impressed by Croatia. Their technical level and engagement was out of this world. They actually deserved to win the final. I truly think it. We were dominated in all fields of the game. For a 4 million people country, this is absolutely unique in history of football or any other collective sport.
Physically they were extremely impressive. It is hard for me to believe that they were perfectly "clean". Having such energy during 90 minutes, with all the 120 minutes games they had to play before is very surprising. This is only my opinion, based solely on pure intuition and I do not want to offend you or Croatia. If they were "clean" then they got a physical preparation just out of this world.

France was clearly in a bad day. Never good to be the favorites at such a level. I could not recognize them. They were psychologically stressed obviously and could not enter really in the game. They started to feel better at 3-1. Still they continued to play well below their level and made huge mistakes. And I am not thinking only of Lloris but all of them.

BUT...., while being clearly dominated, they got luck of course but they managed to win by a large margin of 4-2 and it could have been 4-1 ! This kind of "luck" comes only to very very strong teams.
We are in France extremely proud of them and this win compensates for all the ones that we lost in the past and we should not have. My belief that without so much psycho pressure that they put on themselves, France would have won against Croatia anyway but the game would have been much more balanced. They will have to work more on their mental.

Now I just wanted to point out the fact that France did not "pick" the best players from "their former colonies". You are thinking with a mentality that has no sense in this modern world. A mentality coming from the "old world" of little closed euro countries like Hungary, Austria, Slovakia.... and unfortunately the idea of "pure races". I do not forget the tight links Croatia had with the German nazi regime.
There is no pure race. No more in France than in Croatia. Your mention of the french players coming from former colonies does not smell good to me. Sorry.
All these guys were born in France except Umtiti and Mandanda who were born in Africa. Moreover, the french football clubs and associations did not "pick" them. THEY made all the efforts needed to be the best and to be there. They imposed themselves to the best level.
Of course, our country's richness comes from the diversity of cultures and origins of people who integrated the french culture. Just like in the US, UK, Belgium and so on.... The Belgian wonderful team was also very similar to the french one in this respect. That surely gives a strength that little countries like Croatia will never have. Big countries shine well beyond their limits and attract people. This is for sure one of their strength.
These boys are not less "french" than the french of "old" ascendance. Once again they were born here. France is their country and their culture.
This is really what I wanted to point out in my message. Sorry if I have been too long.

Last edited by Jerome W; 07-18-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 AM

All countries have skeletons in their closets Jerome, and none of the Croatian team were old enough to have any part to play. Indeed Modric saw his grandfather fall during the 90's when he was 6.
Closed Thread