AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Symposium Rollerblock Jr

I received a set of three Symposium Rollerblock Jr.'s today. They were loaned to me to audition under my McIntosh MCD500. When I opened the box, and unpacked the six black aluminum alloy cups and three chrome steel balls I have to admit they are not very impressive looking. They actually look like little metal toys. I read the literature that came with the RBJ's, and got the whole spiel on their development, materials, and claims of sonic improvement. Naturally, Symposium would like to see their products installed under ever single component you own including speakers. After reading their long winded material I was thinking I could probably achieve sonic improvement by placing them under the feet on my refrigerator.

OK, I placed the three Rollerball Jr.'s under my MCD500, one in the center of the back of the chassis, and one on each side of the front of the chassis. When sitting on the Rollerblock Jr.'s the MCD500's factory feet are lifted approximately 1/4" off the rack shelf. If you touch the MCD500, like press the play button or drawer close button, the player wiggles on the rollerballs in the cups, but settles down in a moment. I am not exactly fond of this, but I can adjust to it.

To audition the Rollerblock Jr.'s I used two CD's I am completely familiar with, and play often, Brian Bromberg - Choices, and Liz Story with Joel Di Bartolo. To begin the audition I listened to track one from Brian Bromberg, "Never Give Up", then installed the Rollerblock Jr.'s, and listened to the same track again. Then I removed the RBJ's, and played the track a third time. I repeated the same process with Liz Story, "The Very Thought Of You". I played the track without Rollerballs Jr.'s, then installed them under the MCD500, played the track again, then removed the RBJ's, and played the track a third time. Finally, I reinstalled the Rollerblock Jr.'s under the MCD500 again, and listened to the entire Brian Bromberg - Choices CD.

Without the Rollerblock Jr.'s under my MCD500, my sound system has a very resolving, detailed, transparent, and dynamic audio presentation. The sound system is quite amazing. With the Rollerblock Jr.'s installed under the MCD500, to my amazement the resolution was improved. It wasn't a huge leap into virgin territory by any stretch of the imagination, but what I did notice was an improvement in the micro details. The leading edge sounds from guitar strings, piano strings, cymbals and other percussion instruments as they were tapped or struck sounded slightly clearer, with a minute improvement in 3 dimensionality within the sound stage. There was also a scanty degree of additional solidity to Brian Bromberg's electric and acoustic bass notes. They were not really any deeper sounding, but best described as thicker, with the vibration of the strings seeming to enjoy a greater freedom of movement in the air. The same added resolution came to Liz Story's piano performance. To use an analogy, it's like watching 1080i, then flipping a switch to immediately see 1080p. Both are marvelous, but the improved resolution is apparent, and pleasurable. That's how it was with the beautiful piano of Liz Story. Her individual notes and full chords seemed to glow with a clarity that was infinitesimally better focused with the Rollerball Jr.'s under the MCD500, than when removed.

Had I never been exposed to the Rollerblock Jr.'s, I would not be thinking that my system sounded anything but absolutely amazing, and I would have never missed the experience. Since I have now auditioned the Rollerblock Jr.'s in my system, and have experienced the ever so slight advance in transparency, I now plan to keep the three piece set of Rollerblock Jr.'s, and will order at least one more pair to install under my MS750. I did not audition the RBJ's under the MS750 today for the simple reason that I got tired of installing, removing, and reinstalling them during the audition. Still, I feel comfortable ordering a second set for the MS750 after having experienced what I heard today.

In conclusion, were I not already enjoying a highly revealing, detailed and ultra clean sounding audio system I might not have been able to zero in on the differences I heard with the Rollerblock Jr.'s in place. The improvements were not dramatic, in fact they were diminutive compared to other things I have done with my sound system, but the enhancements I am hearing are real. For the price of the Rollerblock Jr.'s, they are worth pursuing for that last decimal of sonic bliss we are seeking.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-17-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Great description Dan, you are far more eloquent than I. When Rollerblocks first found their way into my System, I too heard a bit more micro details and air. As far as bang for the buck the answer is simple; isolation does work.

BTW, since I put them on my Fridge I no longer have to defrost; go figure.

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't know a thing!

Hey Dan... what about under the C1000. The pre/pro owns the signal. I have been playing music and putting my hand on top of the components and they all have some vibration. I am not sure it is avoidable being in the same room and so close to the speakers. The DAC is the worst(most likely because it is the lightest) so I am going to start there, but Peter suggests you start at the source and I figure that is the Processor. Nice right up by the way

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Hey Dan... what about under the C1000. The pre/pro owns the signal. I have been playing music and putting my hand on top of the components and they all have some vibration. I am not sure it is avoidable being in the same room and so close to the speakers. The DAC is the worst(most likely because it is the lightest) so I am going to start there, but Peter suggests you start at the source and I figure that is the Processor. Nice right up by the way
Lou, I use them under both my C1000C/T preamps
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Media Server Aficionado

You know, Dan, you forgot to give them adequate break-in time. Sheesh!

I had similar results with the MDA1K, just seemed like an audible amount of "edge" got taken off, which was a welcome change.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't know a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Lou, I use them under both my C1000C/T preamps
Ivan, my issue is that the 707 resides on top of a 6' rack and it has to be stable, so bearings are out of the question. Now I am looking at Ultra Pads but the processor already has larger than hockey puck feet, so I am not sure how much they can help. To go to a platform/shelf I might as well just have a rack made and now we are talking a large expense instead of a little tweak. I guess all I can do is see what the Ultra Pads can do for the processor.

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables
Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Ivan, my issue is that the 707 resides on top of a 6' rack and it has to be stable, so bearings are out of the question. Now I am looking at Ultra Pads but the processor already has larger than hockey puck feet, so I am not sure how much they can help. To go to a platform/shelf I might as well just have a rack made and now we are talking a large expense instead of a little tweak. I guess all I can do is see what the Ultra Pads can do for the processor.
I would replace the processor's feet with Ultra Pad's.
CAPE COD

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Lou.......At this time my plan is to install another set of three Rollerblock Jr.'s under the MS750. I will do a similar audition with the music server, installing the RBJ's, then removing them, then reinstalling them. It has been my experience that it is sometimes easier to hear what has been changed in your sound system when it is removed, that is why I put tweaks in and out several times while auditioning.

As far as placing Rollerblock Jr.'s under my C1000C/P, I have considered it, but at this time I am focusing on the sources. Besides the MS750, and the MCD500, the only other sources I have in the main system are my MR85 tuner, which I won't isolate, and my Micro Seiki turntable which is isolated very effectively on four #3 Vibrapods. I may install Rollerblock Jr.'s under the MEN220, but for now I am stick with the two digital sources.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't know a thing!

The way I am looking at it as even know a well built processor is passing the balanced signal through just the volume stage(kind of like a bridge) it can still introduce grain from the vibrations and would be worth an audition of the Ultra Pads in my case. Especially if I can feel the case vibrating I know the computer boards inside are moving too.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Lou...if your components are vibrating from airborne vibrations (i.e., sound waves from the speaker), then the other tweak you should consider beyond the isolation feet are the damping plates (such as the ones from Harmonic Resolution Systems (Damping Plate reduces vibrations on audio or video performance). I use their Nimbus isolation under my CD. They make excellent products. The other damping products i am aware of are from Mapleshade Audio (Brass Weights-Mapleshade). Just a thought.