AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Graham.......First, let me state what an enjoyably creative post you wrote. The fantasy and discovery parts were intertwined in such a smooth flow that I failed to notice when I began to levitate.

Those are some serious claims you have eluded to, and your descriptions had me vacillating between the notion that I've got to have these gizmo's, to no way in hell! My head is still spinning.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr View Post
Graham, can you please try with Shiraz, not big on cab sav!
More like: if you are going down the wine trail, there are one or two additional wineries you might want to stop by.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Kev - will try Shiraz next time (usually my default audio equalisation) as will likely have better decay on the notes and sweeter mids tho the bass is clearly better defined but maybe not as long with a Cab Sav.

Dan - thanks and yes, I was actually levitating when I wrote this and I am as troubled if not more troubled than you about hearing any difference. I did IME find the order of change similar to the fuses but this is not change of component or cables magnitude. Either way this is going to be a fairly scary YMMV I figure so 100% only suggesting if you can get one or a few on trial you will be able check first and that is as far as I am willing to stick my neck out on something so relatively broadly untried... what I am hoping is a few more will try in a small way to minimise risk of a one off inexplicable result (other than the guy was drinkin at the time). That way we can build some broader base of results across various systems before jumping on the quantum train without reservations.

dmnc02, thanks for the FYI on Marigos, is fascinating but I have to admit science is not a strength (clearly self evident) and have no real understanding of how they work which I find a bit discomforting but not an impediment. I'll keep going a bit further with them cautiously and stick to the put it in and see how it sounds principle which is unfortunately all I bring to the table on this one. PS more wineries is an excellent idea and yes, we live in wine country. A favoured book at our place is a book of sufi poetry, the Drunken Universe.

Last edited by audiot servant; 09-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
dmnc02, thanks for the FYI on Marigos, is fascinating but I have to admit science is not a strength (clearly self evident) and have no real understanding of how they work which I find a bit discomforting but not an impediment. I'll keep going a bit further with them cautiously and stick to the put it in and see how it sounds principle which is unfortunately all I bring to the table on this one.
Actually, looking more carefully at the pictures, the Chips appear to be just a thin film, so unlike the Marigo's they probably do not damp or re-tune vibrations. The manufacturer seems to claim that they somehow improve electrical conductivity, but then one of the suggested uses is on speakers and acoustical (not electrical) music instruments. The marketing blurb does not seem to make any sense.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Graham.......Can you explain how these chips actually attach to a fuse? I'm not sure I understand because all I am seeing is what appears to be a peel-off sticker. What is meant by "chip", and just exactly where is this chip located?

My only other thought is this is totally tongue in cheek, and the whole post is bogus. As audiophiles, we are quite easily lead down the proverbial Quantum path.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Graham I dont know about this........ I truly think you are experiencing a placebo effect on these stickers. I have an open mind but...... This was a wonderful review......
He's right and more!
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
My only other thought is this is totally tongue in cheek, and the whole post is bogus. As audiophiles, we are quite easily lead down the proverbial Quantum path.
The product is real: it has actually received positive reviews by Stereo Times and a couple other online magazines.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy
Graham.......Can you explain how these chips actually attach to a fuse? I'm not sure I understand because all I am seeing is what appears to be a peel-off sticker. What is meant by "chip", and just exactly where is this chip located?

Dan - Stickers, yes which is all they appear to be and which from my position is the heart of the dilemma... Chip is their language and they don't really give a lot away about the where and what the nature of the chip is, and bogus is not what I am hearing though it would have been waaaay more digestible for me as well. Dots is my term but is about the shape of my first experience and not the state of my mind hopefully.

Temporary suspension of disbelief is the first step to approach but I keep the doubts near at all times just as backup in case.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor

He's right and more!
Myles your 2c + would be much appreciated as always.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Myles your 2c + would be much appreciated as always.
Graham.......Is that a Life Line request?

So, if I am understanding you, the sticky-back dot is just wrapped around the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse, then the fuse is reinserted back into the fuse holder. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by jdandy; 09-15-2012 at 09:52 PM.