AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
There was a BDP-93 on A-gon the other day.
Yep, still a couple of them there.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2me View Post
I am sorry, but I have owned both and the MCD500 is much better IMHO.
Talk2me.......The MCD500 does outperform the Oppo BDP-83SE, but the Oppo Special Edition gets darn close. I put both of the players head to head through the same preamp amps, and speakers, using the same interconnects on both. I was very impressed with the BDP-83SE two channel sound, both in resolve, transparency and dynamics, as well as signal to noise performance and sound stage. When one considers that the MCD500 is priced six and a half times higher than the BDP-83SE, it is quite remarkable how close the performance was between the two players.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM

MUSICDIRECT - OPPO - BDP-95 UNIVERSAL BLU-RAY PLAYER

This looks really interesting
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
David.......I see where they say not available until 1st quarter. This is the one Oppo said would outperform the BDP-83SE. I like that it has balance outputs. Amazing that it is $20.00 cheaper, too. I might have to pick one of these up, move my BDP-83SE upstairs, and move my BDP-83 from the living room to the bedroom. Sounds like a plan.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
David.......I see where they say not available until 1st quarter. This is the one Oppo said would outperform the BDP-83SE. I like that it has balance outputs. Amazing that it is $20.00 cheaper, too. I might have to pick one of these up, move my BDP-83SE upstairs, and move my BDP-83 from the living room to the bedroom. Sounds like a plan.
And then buy the Oppo 95se version for Valentine gift!

Sorry Dan, I cant help it .. need to cheer up after a bad 4 days at work!

Go Dan Go .... Go! Go! Go!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
They will be here in Hong Kong in ten days. Then again, they are made just next door!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Wow, so the new oppo 93 will allow you to play hi-Rez music or hd video files via a usb drive or WLAN and functions as a universal disc player with a solid dac and an outstanding video chip for a fraction of the cost for products that do only one of those functions. Whats the catch?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Media Server Aficionado

No brick and mortar sellers.

That's not a bad thing.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM

I went to my friends house who just purchased the Oppo 93 and helped him set it up. The unit is well built aesthetically, very solid and heavier than expected by appearance . The disc tray is very quiet on opening and closing. SACD and red book cd's sound very good despite the fact that no stereo output jacks are included with this model. My friend used the 6 analog outputs on the back of the Oppo 93 to his surround sound pre amp to take advantage of the newest surround codecs. The Oppo 93 automatically creates a stereo signal for the Front L/R speakers. I think having the dedicated balanced stereo output jacks on the Oppo 95 with the upgraded DAC makes this unit the one to buy. The calibration disc that he bought was way over my head with options and I did not have time to digest the manual that came with it so we did a quick adjustment of the set up menu to tweak the brightness, contrast, saturation, hue and sharpness. I am sure if I was able to take the time to calibrate the video like a pro would tweak everything the video would have been even more impressive. I was also not able to test the 3 D function or the netflix on demand option as my friend did not have an account set up yet. The picture quality is very good but I would not say it looks any better than my $300 Sony Blu Ray player playing 720 P. My friends projector only has component inputs which was the limiting factor as the weakest link, not the Oppo. For the audio part this Oppo 93 is a audiophile bargain. I am looking forward to the Oppo 95 for my own home theater as the analog out is supposed to be even better than the Oppo 93 and the 93 as I said before is very good . It is nice to know that this blu ray player will be able to play 3D disks as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Possible issues with the BDP-93

Took delivery of this player on Friday. As usual from OPPO,first rate service and excellent packaging. OPPO gives you 30 days to evaulate it and if you're not pleased, you can return it.

Out od the box ans using just the coax digital out, the sound has a lot of weight to it.Very analog sounding. On CDs I'm quite familiar, it easily is better than my present players. I believe it even sounds better than the 83SE I auditioned last year but returned.

With SACD and the newer audio formats, I do not have a preamp that has the analog multichannel inputs not does my current pre have HDMI. I'm waiting for a McIntosh C45 to arrive next week and use it in conjunction with my EAD pre/pro.

On Bluray movies,the video quality is on par with my existing Sony. The audio is another issue. On BD's that have choices like DTS and DD, on four discs I auditioned, the OPPO always displays DTS,regardless of the choices made.I thought it was my setup choices, but everything looks correct. I connected my Sony back up and played the same discs and when toggling between the different audio choices, the EAD processor displays the right format chosen each time. Going back and playing them on the OPPO, the EAD always shows DTS( except for one disc where it did show the change). I'm a bit stumped on this. It may have something to do with HMDI connectivity. I am only using the HDMI cable direct to the Pioneer Plasma.

Another issue I found annoying was again with the audio. If I advance to another chapter, occasionally there's no sound at all. If I return to the previous chapter and then back to the same chapter that had the no sound, the audio is good. Quirk again? I'm going to call OPPO and ask for some help and advice. I'm wondering if it has something to do with HMDI.

Overall,for the couple of days of use, I like it a lot. I wanted to bite the bullit and go for the 95 for it's audio but I'm also taking delivery of a McIntosh C45 and there was only so much funds available.

Last edited by DES; 01-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.