AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-06-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Why doesn't Shunyata make a subwoofer cable?

Why doesn't Shunyata make a subwoofer cable?
I'm not judging them, I just want to know. Some of the other brands have a deeper product line and since Shunyata is highly regarded I'm wondering why they don't offer it? Also some of their cables aren't across the entire hierarchy. Sigma/Alpha/Delta have their own signature look, and then the Venom have the look of a lower priced economy cable (when comparing them against their higher priced siblings).

And if there isn't any difference why does Nordost and Audioquest bother with them at all?

I have another thread about the difference in the Cables Galore topic : https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41056
Old 11-06-2017, 08:38 PM

Why bother making an expensive cable that is only supposed to carry a signal of below 80Hz. +/- I certainly wouldn't pay a lot of money for a cable like that.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Perhaps its in the eye of the beholder, but I do not believe the Venom Signal cables look inexpensive at all compared to anything anywhere near their price. Further, to make them appear more expensive would be throwing money at aesthetic that's better spent on parts that contribute to performance. I doubt there are many sub-$300 IC cables that use Ohno Continuous Cast Copper, hollow core conductors and custom-designed high-performance connectors. Last Friday I spoke with a dealer who felt the Venom IC's looked more expensive than the double-the-price Delta IC's so, go figure.

Any of our IC's can be used as sub-cables. Its not as if there needs to be a specially designed sub-cable, but I also understand there are companies that market and package them this way.

We never intended to make all manner of cables for the cable business or even for all customers. I think its fair to consider us as a highly specialized manufacturer of technology, measurement and science-centric electrical and cable systems. We don't aspire to be more than that, so there will be some commodity price-points and categories of products we don't produce.

There are many companies that make these types of products. Specialty sub-cables would be a good example of a product category we don't see a need to market specifically to, or build a cable specifically for. Of all the signal carrying cables in a system, the sub-cable is generally one we recommend going an affordable route for, in terms of a purchase.

Best regards,

Grant
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Perhaps its in the eye of the beholder, but I do not believe the Venom Signal cables look inexpensive at all compared to anything anywhere near their price. Further, to make them appear more expensive would be throwing money at aesthetic that's better spent on parts that contribute to performance. I doubt there are many sub-$300 IC cables that use Ohno Continuous Cast Copper, hollow core conductors and custom-designed high-performance connectors. Last Friday I spoke with a dealer who felt the Venom IC's looked more expensive than the double-the-price Delta IC's so, go figure.

Any of our IC's can be used as sub-cables. Its not as if there needs to be a specially designed sub-cable, but I also understand there are companies that market and package them this way.

We never intended to make all manner of cables for the cable business or even for all customers. I think its fair to consider us as a highly specialized manufacturer of technology, measurement and science-centric electrical and cable systems. We don't aspire to be more than that, so there will be some commodity price-points and categories of products we don't produce.

There are many companies that make these types of products. Specialty sub-cables would be a good example of a product category we don't see a need to market specifically to, or build a cable specifically for. Of all the signal carrying cables in a system, the sub-cable is generally one we recommend going an affordable route for, in terms of a purchase.

Best regards,

Grant
I'll give you that the venom interconnect looks sharp compared to all the other venom cables.

Anyway is there any difference between your XLR and subwoofer marketed cable in any measureable scientific way with respect to a subwoofer signal?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'll give you that the venom interconnect looks sharp compared to all the other venom cables.

Anyway is there any difference between your XLR and subwoofer marketed cable in any measureable scientific way with respect to a subwoofer signal?
I've got a Venom 75 ohm digital coax interconnect, and I really like it very much.

It's also beautifully made and constructed.

So much so that I am very interested in trying out the Venom analog interconnects.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've got a Venom 75 ohm digital coax interconnect, and I really like it very much.

It's also beautifully made and constructed.

So much so that I am very interested in trying out the Venom analog interconnects.
Once bitten there is no going back?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Once bitten there is no going back?

Where Shunyata is concerned, historically for me, thats been the case.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Where Shunyata is concerned, historically for me, thats been the case.
I don't have much experience with Shunyata. Our paths never crossed for whatever reason, god only knows how many other cables did though. If you found the Shunyata products to your liking, that's a good place to be.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 AM

Default Why doesn't Shunyata make a subwoofer cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Curious about this as well, traditional vs subwoofer marketed cables. I always assumed they were the same, but with traditional cables offering additional high(er) quality choices, if one chooses. Complete guess.

[MacBook with Audirvana+ -- WW Plat USB -- W4S DAC2 -- WW Silver IC -- C2300 NOS Telefunken blue tips -- WW Silver IC -- Mc252 -- 803S] + [dual Fathom F113 v2] + [WW Silver PC's]
Long term goals, one piece at a time

Last edited by rns; 11-07-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:34 AM

I think Grant already answered this hours ago. It's marketing and packaging.

"Any of our IC's can be used as sub-cables. Its not as if there needs to be a specially designed sub-cable, but I also understand there are companies that market and package them this way."

If you want to eliminate a companies cables because of "marketing strategy" rather than technical merits that is a personal choice. There are multiple cable companies with Audioquest and WW being amongst them that will sell you one of everything.