AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
I think the dust issue was more of a problem with older ML models. Current/recent models have a circuit that shuts down the panels' charge when not operating and that helps in keeping the stators clean. I know the older Summits had this feature and so do the Summit-Xs.
I believe the shutdown sensor's were implemented back in the 90's sometime. Some older models can be upgraded with the shutdown circuit - just contact ML.

Washing Panels - Only as a last ditch effort if vacuuming does not seem to help.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb300 View Post
Washing Panels - Only as a last ditch effort if vacuuming does not seem to help.
Absolutely - and thanks for pointing that out. My post was meant as more of a ribbing than anything else, but it's important to clarify that showering is truly last ditch - and frankly, if things have gone that bad, it's time for new panels anyway.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Hi,

So I have just gone through an upgrade from my Summit X to CLX. I also spent time debating subs, do I need any, one or two Descent I's. In the end I went for dual subs, which IMO was an excellent decision.

I had a couple of posts in the ML forum which you could read. There is significant detail between the differences between the Summits and CLX's as well as my sub findings.

Feel free to pm me for further details

M.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck1973 View Post
Hi,

So I have just gone through an upgrade from my Summit X to CLX. I also spent time debating subs, do I need any, one or two Descent I's. In the end I went for dual subs, which IMO was an excellent decision.

I had a couple of posts in the ML forum which you could read. There is significant detail between the differences between the Summits and CLX's as well as my sub findings.

Feel free to pm me for further details

M.
What subs did you end up with?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
we haven't told you yet about potentially having to shower with the panels... didn't want to scare you too bad
I've seen this.. the first time I had to do a double take and my jaw dropped!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roebedo

What subs did you end up with?
A pair of Descent I's with the CLX custom x-over. They blend seamlessly with the CLX's.

M.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Rebedo,

I have been enjoying my CLXes for about 6 months now. I have similar gear to what you listened to them on and I believe that McIntosh is a good match and I would go with the SS amp.

A few things about these puppies. They took FOREVER to break-in! They really didn't settle down for almost three months. At first I thought I had made a terrible mistake. Then they just kept getting better and better. They are also very sensitive to placement. That took some time to get right too. Matching my JL f113 sub was very tricky too, but worth the trouble. I would love to get a second sub at some point. I also find them to be just a bit bright. I turn the treble on my pre-amp down just a bit and that is just where I like it. Finally, everything they say about them being unforgiving is true, however this does get better as they break-in over time. Bad recordings can be tortorous, good recordings can sound really good, great recordings have compared to systems I have heard with amps that cost more than my whole system!

I recommend auditioning them a few more times and then make sure they'll fit in your room nicely. If you pull the trigger then prepare to be patient! They will take time to be built, time to dial in, and lot's of time to break-in. It's all worth it in the end!

If you are in metro NY, send me a PM. I will refer you to my terrific dealer.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM

I had the pleasure of spending yesterday at the NY Audio Show. Thursday night, in preperation for the show, I had a long listening session with my reference mix CD. I am blessed with one fine sounding system!

I spent all day at the show enjoying some very fine sounds. However, so much underwhelmed me. Only a couple of systems really were comperable to my CLX/McIntosh system. I understand that the room and conditions were far from optimal, but quite a few of these systems were well into the six figure range. Only the MBL system with the sensational 101e Mk 2 speakers really blew me away.

All-in-all a very enjoyable and enlightening day. I am going back tomorrow for some more.

Note: If you are looking to pick up hot chicks, DO NOT go to an audio show!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
Note: If you are looking to pick up hot chicks, DO NOT go to an audio show!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
Rebedo,

I have been enjoying my CLXes for about 6 months now. I have similar gear to what you listened to them on and I believe that McIntosh is a good match and I would go with the SS amp.

A few things about these puppies. They took FOREVER to break-in! They really didn't settle down for almost three months. At first I thought I had made a terrible mistake. Then they just kept getting better and better. They are also very sensitive to placement. That took some time to get right too. Matching my JL f113 sub was very tricky too, but worth the trouble. I would love to get a second sub at some point. I also find them to be just a bit bright. I turn the treble on my pre-amp down just a bit and that is just where I like it. Finally, everything they say about them being unforgiving is true, however this does get better as they break-in over time. Bad recordings can be tortorous, good recordings can sound really good, great recordings have compared to systems I have heard with amps that cost more than my whole system!

I recommend auditioning them a few more times and then make sure they'll fit in your room nicely. If you pull the trigger then prepare to be patient! They will take time to be built, time to dial in, and lot's of time to break-in. It's all worth it in the end!

If you are in metro NY, send me a PM. I will refer you to my terrific dealer.
JR - Thanks for all the great feedback. I've pretty much have settled with the fact that I'll end up with the CLX. I have a couple of steps to take with the room before I place a order. I've made measurements and I think I'm good. The front wall measures 18' (2 feet wider than the room I auditioned) and spans 21' respectively with 9' ceilings.

Any feedback with respect on how they perform with your analog gear?

Cheers!

Mike