AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-05-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
Lol. Funnily enough, the Ref6 has more synergy than the Accuphase C2850 I had. It listened to one track and knew straight away the C2850 was gone.
C2850 sounded broken compared to the Ref6.
Wow, I would not have guessed that. I don't have experience with accuphase, but I definitely love my ref6. I think I understand your newfound love [emoji7]
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 AM

2fastdriving:
I agree entirely with your thoughts on ARC and Dag. I have heard many brands over the years and usually run far away from solid state gear. But I heard a Dag combo that I liked a lot at my dealer and asked for an in house audition. I had the Dag 250 stereo in house to compare to my Ref 150. I thought each had their strengths and weaknesses--ARC being more of a "natural" presentation with better sustain, bloom and dimensionality, DAG being more transparent and revealing--but the differences were of character (tubes v ss)not of quality. I was very impressed with the Dag sound and considered buying it. But, in the end, I kept my ARC amp because I am at heart a tube guy---but if I ever switch--it will be for a Dag. So my vote for the best solid state is Dag although I also loved the sound of the Wells Audio Innamorata when I heard it in a system owned by a friend of mine. It is the most tube-like ss I've ever heard. My guess is that it is not quite as transparent as the Dag but provides an overall presentation closer to tubes.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 01-05-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
2fastdriving:
I agree entirely with your thoughts on ARC and Dag. I have heard many brands over the years and usually run far away from solid state gear. But I heard a Dag combo that I liked a lot at my dealer and asked for an in house audition. I had the Dag 250 stereo in house to compare to my Ref 150. I thought each had their strengths and weaknesses--ARC being more of a "natural" presentation with better sustain, bloom and dimensionality, DAG being more transparent and revealing--but the differences were of character (tubes v ss)not of quality. I was very impressed with the Dag sound and considered buying it. But, in the end, I kept my ARC amp because I am at heart a tube guy---but if I ever switch--it will be for a Dag. So my vote for the best solid state is Dag although I also loved the sound of the Wells Audio Innamorata when I heard it in a system owned by a friend of mine. It is the most tube-like ss I've ever heard. My guess is that it is not quite as transparent as the Dag but provides an overall presentation closer to tubes.
You and I definitely think alike! I've always wanted to hear an innamorata.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:37 AM

I think Steve and I are going to some demoing at his place soon. My only concern is indeed a system's Synergy. I used to feel this was BS but I understand it more now. So, by taking my C1100 up to Steve's to listen to will I get the same true test vs his Ref 6 and GS150? Seems like most here really like the Ref 6 with ARC amps and Mac gear with Mac amps.

I could haul up my 601's But thats kind of a chore. Hmm...

Small towns are great in many ways but dang not good in terms of having a reasonably close dealer.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:29 AM

Haul the 601’s up and make it a true head to head!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Hi Timobi:
I have tested ARC amps with Mac preamps and vice versa. My take was that with one ARC component in place (preamp or amp) you only get 1/3 of the way home. But, with only one component exchange (preamp) you will nevertheless hear the direction which the changeover to both components will bring. Hopefully, you can test Mac amp and preamp v ARC amp and preamp with the same ancillary gear. The brands deliver two completely different presentations--ying and yang. I believe that, at the end of the day, you will come away with a clear preference. Whichever way you go--it will not be a tie.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 03-06-2019, 01:29 PM

I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking when I almost sold my REF 6, shortly after acquiring it (used) in late 2017. It's grown on me continuously since then - and it sounds amazing. I got mine with 520 hours on the clock - probably avoiding the worst of burn-in woes - and now have close to 1,900 logged (so 1,400 from me). I recently swapped from a used GE 6550 (1,300 hours) back to the OEM Sovtek (600 hours); no loss of quality detected - in fact it may be even slightly better now. My 6N30P are EH gold-pin with 1,200 hours; Herbie's halos all-around. Might be time to try the OEM Sovtek 6N30P again, then order a spare set of the winner. I also replaced the acrylic top with the steel one, because I was tired of looking at it sag with heat & time.

I'm ecstatic with my system's sound. Cabling (AQ Hurricanes all around) and other swaps/tweaks (e.g. better SUT, better tonearm, Stillpoints on turntable) have truly been icing on the cake this past year. No lack of synergy between the different component brands here: AQ Niagara 7000, VAC Renaissance SE phono, REF 6 pre, Rogue Apollo Dark tube monoblocks. Koetsu Coralstone cartridge on the deck. Absolutely perfect overall balance - any genre of music (including heavy metal). When I upgraded the phono to that VAC, a lot of things snapped into place, and I think the REF 6 was able to truly take off & show off after that.

The functionality of the ARC's remote is also more perfect than any wish-list feature set I could have dreamed up. Joy to use. 10/10.

Last edited by mulveling; 03-06-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:37 PM

[emoji106]
Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
VAC Renaissance SE phono, REF 6 pre, Rogue Apollo Dark tube monoblocks. Koetsu Coralstone cartridge on the deck.
Does your VAC have the multiple MC gain settings (62 vs 68)? My onboard VAC phono is fixed at 64. I’ve been wondering how mine would match up with a lower output cart like your Coralstone, which is at 0.3mv maybe?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Does your VAC have the multiple MC gain settings (62 vs 68)? My onboard VAC phono is fixed at 64. I’ve been wondering how mine would match up with a lower output cart like your Coralstone, which is at 0.3mv maybe?
Yes I have 62 and 68 dB settings for MC mode (fixed at 44 for MM mode), but you have to open it up to switch this gain, and that will also change the resistive load options by a factor of 4 vs what they’re labeled. I keep mine on the 68 setting. It only switches the internal Lundahl LL 1931 SUT’s between its high and low taps. But I find the Coralstone matches much better yet with an outboard EAR MC-3 SUT, and the VAC set in MM mode. The Lundahl LL 1931 is excellent (especially with a Shelter Harmony), but I find that the real magic of the VAC is its MM stage. Simply wonderful. Matching SUT will always be extremely dependent on what specific cartridge you’re using - multiple in my case.

The VAC also has an superbly low noise floor, which I can take advantage of only because the REF 6 is even quieter!

Last edited by mulveling; 03-06-2019 at 09:49 PM.