AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-18-2019, 08:02 PM

This FB post from Jeff Dorgay/Tone Audi today - I feel the same way:

“So, are you really going to bail on Qobuz - USA for $5/month? I'm not. I'd rather see the little guys get ahead. Amazon has enough of a monopoly on everything else.

As someone who used to spend $100s a month on music, the $60/year i'd save going to Amazon is one dinner a year out. I'm sticking with Qobuz.”
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Marc, you might be right.
I'm even surprised Tidal or Qobuz aren't bought yet by one of the major players (Apple, Amazon).
Same for Roon. Won't be surprised if one of the major players (as in deep pockets) doesn't also end up with Roon.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-18-2019, 10:32 PM

Tidal's already partially owned by the Chinese conglomerate that owns Sprint and at some point they will make a move to take over control or force a sale.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:29 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

I view Tidal and Qobuz as the only options with Qobuz being my preferred choice.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:01 AM

I look at this from an economics perspective. Tidal and Qobuz are not yet profitable.

Even Spotify with 100 milllion customers is losing money. This from Spotify's Q2 earnings report:

"Operating Losses totaled €3 million yielding an Operating Margin of (0.2%)"

BTW that's better than they have ever done, and most of their revenue comes from the paid premium service.

Tidal and Qobuz are privately held, so finaniclas are opaque. But in my view they are financial time bombs.

Amazon has a massive global web hosting capability - arguably the largest. AWS also accounts for most of their profits. Their infrastructure costs for storage and egress (streaming) are going to be lower than Tidal and Qobuz by a wide margin.

Amazon has the infrastructure and financial power to prevail. That's if the content owners will play ball with them, which I suspect they will.

Having worked with Amazon Alexa - they will publish all the API's needed for Roon to access thier service, and they will help them get going, but it will be up to Roon to do all the work required to integrate Amazon Music HD into their platform.

Like a character in Game of Thrones, I wouldn't get too attached to your favorite streaming service just yet.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 09-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
It is highly unlikely that Amazon will allow Roon to integrate their offerings with our files so no matter what the price is I will stick with Roon/Tidal.
Why do you say that, Jim?

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:03 PM

As an existing Amazon Unlimited Music subscriber, this was a bit of a no-brainer for me, only will cost me an additional $5/month after my free three month trial.

Currently listening to Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6/Currentzi Music Aeterna at 24/96 quality.

They also have my favorite classical recording in 24/96, which is the 1971 Holst-The Planets/Los Angeles Philharmonic with Zubin Mehta conducting.

Weird -- the older and more decrepit my ears get, the greater my desire to buy newer and better "audiophile" gear!

Last edited by mtrot; 09-22-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:10 PM

What about Canada???