AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 08-30-2014, 12:58 AM

In advance of Alberto's informed review, I tried it in the shop with some Oppo's and the micro detail was incredible. The sound wasn't colored in any way either, and that was with a CD quality only track. All the other SQ needs were obviously fully realized. I loved the 120 color, but this goes beyond in retrieval etc.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Initial impressions (paired with Earsonics EM6):

1. Physical build and quality is superb i.e at least on par with an iPhone and I would say higher quality as the body is more complex. The box, the leather case and the AK240 itself all scream high end.

2. Sound quality surpasses anything I've heard in compact form: Audioquest Dragonfly; Meridian Explorer and it seems better than my Ayre QB9 (but I've still to compare the AK240 with the QB9 and my top of the line STAX system - more about this later).

3. No doubt the DAC has high resolution processing any file format and delivering clear instrument separation and lots of detail. Also easy to notice by ear the diferences between CD quality and high resolution files. Sound signature seems well extended with clear treble and no complaints about lack of bass.

4. Loading the device with music files is easy. It connects to my Mac via android file transfer and then it's drag and drop. Occasionally the connection between the Mac and the AK240 is interrupted but it's an easy fix by unplugging the cable and reconnecting.

5. For those using Mac - Android File Transfer it should be mentioned that this Google program is very basic e.g allows to transfer files between the computer and the AK240 but doesn't allow to reorganize the AK240 so - plan before you start randomly dropping files in the AK240.

6.Interface / user experience very good. Simple, well organised, it works.

7. Drives easily any IEM and other low impedance headphones. I've tried my Earsonocs EM6 and my Grado RS1 - both work great. High impedance headphones will require an external dedicated amp. Needless to say that it's pointless to buy an AK240 and then use cheap / low quality headphones.

8. Good value for money despite the high price.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM

After my positive experience with the Astell &Kern 120 Titan I bought myself a used 240 at a price I couldnt pass up.It is a thing of beauty,I will not suggest it is head and shoulders better sounding than my Titan was because that was terrific but the 240 does so many more things and is so much easier to use and navigate and it is and will be upgraded for a while while the Titan wont.Is it worth the money?Of course not because any high end luxury gear is not worth the money unless it is something you love...a hobby....your guilty pleasure.The 240 is such a purchase and if you live for music as I do and want to have something approaching the best mobile source of music this is pretty much it!P.S. the battery life could and should be better for 2500 bucks!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:38 AM

I own two AK240s. I don't leave home without one and one is connected to my car. The device is incredible.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 AM

I've had an AK 120 since shortly after it came out. It predates the Titan and the 240 and it sounds great. And drives my IEMs and headphones very nicely (although a little bit of Ray Samuels really does help with the HE-500s). My only negative is the user interface. Not a problem when you have 200 songs but not very helpful when you have 2000. I have been thinking about getting an AK 240 but there is now also the AK 120 II. Has anyone tried it? I can probably get by without the additional capacity of the 240 over the 120 II but I can't really find good information on its operating system, GUI, etc., which would be the main reason for upgrading. If you have, or have tried the AK120II pleas let me know what you think of it.

Thanks,

Robert
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:39 PM

For those interested in getting a player that stands pretty tall next to the AK's for pennies on the dollar I would listen to the iBasso DX90 player.
For around 349.00 it is an amazing player that I think is comparable to the AK's in sound.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosttoysrsk View Post
For those interested in getting a player that stands pretty tall next to the AK's for pennies on the dollar I would listen to the iBasso DX90 player. For around 349.00 it is an amazing player that I think is comparable to the AK's in sound.
Awesome. A lot of 5 Star reviews. It's cheap and might be a perfect solution for my cars.

MC 2301, C2500, MCD550, OPPO BDP-105D, MEN220, MT10, Furman P-2400IT, Martin Logan Summit X, Klaudio Ultrasonic Vinyl Cleaner, MHP100; MC275, D100, MB100, Panamax 5500, Vienna Acoustics The KISS KLIMT, MXA60, MXA70, MCAIRE, MCLK12, Astell & Kern AK240, Shure: SE846 -- Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 12-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I heard the AK120 (rev 1) on Saturday. It was really impressive. I just ordered an AK100 II today and it should arrive at my sister's place by Dec 24th, just in time for Christmas! Will use it with my Senn Momentums and in the car.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:11 AM

@ Pumna Cat

I really dig the AK240. I purchased two of them, I liked them that much!

MC 2301, C2500, MCD550, OPPO BDP-105D, MEN220, MT10, Furman P-2400IT, Martin Logan Summit X, Klaudio Ultrasonic Vinyl Cleaner, MHP100; MC275, D100, MB100, Panamax 5500, Vienna Acoustics The KISS KLIMT, MXA60, MXA70, MCAIRE, MCLK12, Astell & Kern AK240, Shure: SE846 -- Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Golucid,
I'm sure it's amazing, but personally, I'm not spending almost three grand on a DAP.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.