AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 PM

Default Basis 2200 Signature w/ Vector Model 4

As I always seem to be comparing and contrasting, have any of you heard this table and also a VPI Classic 3? I'm also interested in the VPI 3D arm. I'm well aware of the price difference and for the purposes of this thread I'm not really interested in discussing other brands. Any impressions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Retired

Can't comment on the sonics, but the 2200 in black is the epitome of 'understated elegance' in TTs to my eye.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 PM

I've heard both AND I've heard the C3 with the 3D.....and ordered one, but
having gotten it on the table yet due to VPI's amateur hour mishaps.......
My experience w/ basis was very brief (at a show) and my experience
with the VPI is extensive, having owned one for 2 years.....

I would say based on what I've heard as well as my dealer's opinion
who carries both is that the tables themselves are somewhat comparable,
with the basis having the edge if the calibrator base and cable isolator is used.

The Basis vector arm obliterates the stock VPI arm. The VPI 3D narrows the gap
but doesn't close it, but to be fair, you're looking at around 12 grand for the basis
setup and around 6k for the VPI plus 2K for the 3D arm. Net you'd be at about
7.5K retail for the VPI since you could sell your arm for 500 easily should you
decide to go with the 3D

I am considering the Basis not on the basis of performance versus the other, but
because Basis is a manufacturer of precision, and VPI is sloppy and haphazard in virtually everything they do. Everything they attempt seems to be a "learning experience"
on the customer's dime. They can't seem to ship a table undamaged, and if you've
ever seen pictures of their production area, you wonder how EVERY SINGLE table
doesn't ship damaged (mine went back twice). Their 3D arms DO NOT fit every table,
some have oversized weights that bang the VTA tower requiring you to ship back and shave them, the tonearm leads are razor thin, leading to breaking with the slightest
handling.....the 3d printer always seems to break resulting in 2 month leadtimes (they won't inform you, you have to ask)......

A.J. Conti knows how to build a world class table and ship it in one piece......and his
arm is right up there with the finest ones on earth.........

If you want a C3, I might have mine up for sale soon, if round 3 of my 3d tonearm
fiasco doesn't end well.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Magnepan 3.7 | Bryston 7BSST2 Mono Amps | Convergent Audio Technologies SL1 Renaissance Preamp w/ Phono | Esoteric K-03 SACD Player | Merrill-Williams REAL101.2 Turntable |Ortofon TA210 Tonearm | Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge | Arche' Headshell | Hashimoto HM7 Step Up Transformer | Shunyata Hydra 6 | Cables all Grover Huffman ZX Series
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 PM

I ended up buying the VPI C3 and the 3D arm without having had the opportunity to listen to the Basis. I'm enjoying both and I've got to say that none of your comments otherwise ring true with me. Everything arrived and worked as advertised without any issues and the sound is fantastic. I did find setting up the VTF a bit annoying and am not enamored with their anti skate device but it all looks great, works great and sounds terrific. Sorry you didn't have a good experience.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
I ended up buying the VPI C3 and the 3D arm without having had the opportunity to listen to the Basis. I'm enjoying both and I've got to say that none of your comments otherwise ring true with me. Everything arrived and worked as advertised without any issues and the sound is fantastic. I did find setting up the VTF a bit annoying and am not enamored with their anti skate device but it all looks great, works great and sounds terrific. Sorry you didn't have a good experience.
+1

I received one month ago my C3 Rosewood in perfect condition with SDS (2 boxes) , very well packed and works great.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 AM

ChrisAZ,
Was there a dealer in Houston you use to audition the tables?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
ChrisAZ, Was there a dealer in Houston you use to audition the tables?
Nope, I went into it semi-blind and ordered on the internet. I chose the table after doing a ton of research, reading a lot of reviews, and seeing what others used. I looked at numerous other tables (but only through research) - Basis, SME, Avid, Clearaudio, et al (I'm not really a Rega fan), but also had some self-imposed budget restraints. At the end of the day, the formula of best reviews, consistently favorable comments on AA and other sites, reasonable price within budget (performance/value), relatively easy set up (compared, for example, to a Linn), and the fact that the online dealer gave me a good trade in on my then current table did the trick. I would have had to travel to Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or beyond to try out different tables and instead just rolled the dice. But I am very happy with the table and arm, which took a little getting used to after the Clearaudio Performance DC / Clarify Arm I had (which is a very different type of set up). The new table/arm sounds better in every way but what really shocked me is how darn quiet it is - the pops and clicks that used to leap out at me with the Performance DC have all but disappeared into the background (this is using the same cart and phono stage). I wish that it was easier to make informed shopping choices here in Houston, but I'm afraid (as you know) that stores are limited, they all tend to carry the same stuff, and none of them are really into turntables - they are more home theatre oriented.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM

I have a Basis 2200 Signature (with calibrator base and cable isolator) with the Vector 3 tonearm. I have not had an opportunity to compare it to a VPI turntable, only to its predecessor, a Rega P7 on a Gingko isolation platform. The Basis is much quieter and less susceptible to room and rack vibrations than the Rega. It also sounded "faster." I always wondered what Fremer meant by this until I heard it. I was sure the speed was off on one of the turntables until I measured the playing time of music tracks on both turntables - identical, but the Basis just sounded faster. No difference in pitch, just in the perceived flow of the music. It makes the music more enjoyable to me.

The Basis is quite a bit more expensive, but as mentioned above, the precision and workmanship are outstanding. The only negative in my mind is that the acrylic is a real dust magnet.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 AM

I agree with Altbrewer's comments above as I have the same setup now some two years old. I too find that once the cartridge and table are broken in, about 200 hours, I could hear an amazing improvement in sound quality and the feeling of "aliveness". I have an Eminent EX cartridge which was factory installed.

As for dust magnet, the basis cover works wonders though quite expensive. That's why the Swiffer 360 was invented! Works great!! Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado